Attack of the Teacher Creature
is the second in garfieldodie
's Calvin and Hobbes movie trilogy, following Can You Imagine That
and being his second installment in the Calvinverse
When Calvin's fun is squashed several times over
during summer break, he and Hobbes get fed up with their parents and run away from home, deciding to move into an abandoned school building. There they meet two other refugees and end up battling a bizarre creature which isn't all that it appears to be...
This fic provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Lampshaded.
- Artistic License - Biology: "Finally, he stumbled into a room and collapsed on the floor, his heart pounding like an elephant skipping rope." Elephants cannot jump.
- Attack of the Killer Whatever
- Casual Danger Dialog:
Calvin: Okay, so it's not the hamster home university, but at least our monsters stay under the bed. They don't come out. Like that one, for instance.
- Continuity Nod and Serial Escalation:
Hobbes: This is probably the most dangerous adventure we've been on. This is making our trip in the Time Machine to the Jurassic Ages look tame.
- Covered in Gunge: The Teacher Creature can inflict this upon people.
This reminds of the food fights
at the university.
- Deal with the Devil: Discussed.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Calvin gets really fed up with having to deal with the Cassandra Truth of the last fic.
- Drum Roll Please: Used as a pun when Calvin rolls a large bass drum at the Creature.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Lenny the Lion shows up briefly in the epilogue. garfieldodie's comment at the end of the bonus chapter imply that he wasn't really a lion - and given that a prankster tiger shows up later on in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series...
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "A Chapter of Great Peril"
- Filk Song: Calvin and Hobbes perform their rendition of "Anytime You Need a Friend" over the end credits.
- Haunted House: Discussed.
Hobbes: Next time we run from home like this, let's hide in a haunted house. I imagine it would be safer.
- Humiliation Conga:
- Knife Nut: The Teacher Creature after being unmasked.
- Latex Perfection: The Teacher Creature.
- Literal Cliffhanger: Calvin, Hobbes, and Andy in Chapter 6.
- Noodle Incident:
"I can't believe this!" Calvin said indignantly. "You cause one or two minor riots and a bull stampede, followed by several the water balloon bombs of '98, and the neighbors think you're a troublemaker."
- Not a Morning Person: Calvin's dad.
- Old School Building: Where the plot takes place.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Subverted - it's only a wax statue of a werewolf.
- Plagiarism: The fic's story, along with specific lines, are stolen from the little-known Garfield chapter book Garfield and the Teacher Creature.
- Product Placement: Lampshaded:
"It tastes like a cup of heaven!" he whispered.
"And it goes down smooooooooth," added Hobbes, quoting the soda ad.
Sherman was confused. "Is this just an example of product placement?" he asked.
"Who cares?" Calvin said, taking another gulp. "Fresh, delectable beverages at reasonably cost prices is enough to win me over.
- Scary Shadow Fakeout: Calvin sleeping behind the furnace is mistaken for the monster by Hobbes.
- The Scream: Calvin, following the above Humiliation Conga.
- Sdrawkcab Name: "Who ordered the azzip?"
- Sequel Hook/The End... Or Is It?: Calvin notices the fake Teacher Creature's costume was a normal color (after he and Hobbes had used paint bottles on him), and he denies shooting green gunk out of his wrists... and there's a dark shadow mentioned in the very end of Chapter 7.
- Shout-Out: Chapter 1 is titled "A Series of SemiUnforunate Events".
- Sophisticated as Hell:
Sherman: To quote Albert Einstein, "you stink, and so do your relatives."
Hobbes: Einstein never said that.
Sherman: Did too. It's in his theory of relativity.
- The Stinger: Retro forcing Galaxoid and Nebular to destroy Calvin.
- Stock Yuck: Used a few times.
- This Is a Drill: Calvin adds a drill to the cardboard box, but it doesn't do anything of use.
- Unstoppable Rage: Calvin, while fighting the Teacher Creature.
- Would Hurt a Child: See Knife Nut above.