Fanfic: Can You Imagine That?
Can You Imagine That?
is the first in a trilogy of Script Fics
about Calvin and Hobbes
written by garfieldodie
, and is his first entry in what would be known as the Calvinverse
While riding on their wagon one day, Calvin and Hobbes spot a man inside a weird contraption. They escape him, but the further exploits involving him and his plot to kidnap every child in the world goes beyond one's wildest imagination.
The day after Calvin and Hobbes: The Series
ended, garfieldodie uploaded a remake
of the fic, almost a decade after its original release. It ran until March 12th, 2014, with its story being noticeably Darker and Edgier
, as well as providing a coherent timeline for the verse (which declares the original versions of the rewritten versions non-canon
and officially included Which Way is Where?
in the fold).
This fic contains examples of:
open/close all folders
- Alternate Continuity: While in the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes met Galaxoid and Nebular during the fall, here they meet during the summer after the original strip ended. The remake fixes this by making their initial appearance fall after their second (and final) appearance.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Calvin: What're we going to do? Why is he chasing us? How will we escape? Where does this path lead? When will our bedtime be?
Calvin: Yesterday, you made a remark on the feasible membership of Susie Derkins. She is the rival of our club. Plus, she's a girl!
Hobbes: Of course, when I say 'big galoot', it means that you're handsome, intelligent, and, uh, both of your legs are the same length.
Retro: The thing is that I will be the winner here. I will rule the world. I have the advantage. I have the cool car!
Tracer: He's got a point.
- Bald of Evil: Retro.
- Big Bad: Retro.
- Big "NO!": Retro pulls one when the Imaginator is destroyed.
- Billions of Buttons: Retro has an entire wall covered in buttons. The one Hobbes tries to find turns out to have been clearly labeled.
- Bullfight Boss: Exploited by Calvin, who hurls insults at Moe in order to get the tube working.
- Call Back: Chapter 6's titular chase recalls that of Chapter 1's.
- Cassandra Truth: Invoked by Hobbes, who sets a Forget-O-Ray to everyone but Calvin and himself in order to elicit this reaction.
- Child Hater: Retro.
"One of these days, I swear I'll blow kids straight off the face of the earth. All they're good for is annoying adults. Well, finally they'll be put to good use. Who'd of thought that simply saying a trip to DisneyLand
would convince the kids to stay? They're so stupid!"
- Cool Car: Retro's flying car. Even Hobbes thinks so!
Calvin: Oh, puh-leeze. It'll be a snap! I'll admit, it will take awhile get into, but after October, I'll have that teacher right where I want her. She'll be putty in my hands.
Hobbes: Yeah, really dry putty that's hard as a rock!
- Distressed Damsel/Distressed Dude: Taken Up to Eleven - all the kids sans Calvin are kidnapped by Retro.
- Fainting: Calvin's mom does this a lot.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Retro has a pair.
- Happy Dance: Calvin and Hobbes do one shortly before rescuing the kids. Apparently, it looked stupid.
- Imagine Spot: Referenced early on:
He wished this was just a fantasy like Spaceman Spiff or Tracer Bullet that he could just have someone wake him up from, but that wasn't very likely to happen. He would've woken up at the sight of the claw!
- These also play a very important role in the plot.
- Medium Awareness:
What'd we miss? Hobbes: The chase scene. Spiff:
Darn it! That's always the best part of an adventure!
- Missing Trailer Scene: The trailer has two such scenes.
- The first is when Hobbes is transformed into an actual tiger - the kids and Retro scream, but Hobbes just goes "WHAAA...?"
- A similar scene goes like this:
Why are you all staring at him? Susie:
…He's alive. Calvin:
DUH! Have you all been blind for the past few years or what? Hobbes:
Maybe now that we're heroes, they've taken on a better respect for me. And Moe, I haven't forgotten about the bear crack.
That's the biggest insult to tigers. (Moe passes out)
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Dr. Retro.
- Mythology Gag: "The days are just packed."
- Spaceman Spiff's trusty sidekick is named Spaceman Mort, Spiff's original name before Calvin and Hobbes even started.
- The Napoleon: "No one calls me 'Shorty'!"
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Calvin manages to carry a large, old piece of wood across by pretending to be Stupendous Man.
- Precision F-Strike: A mild one:
- Prehensile Tail: How Hobbes manages to press the "open cage" button.
- Reality Warper: Calvin's Imagine Spots actually allow him to narrate real life. Case in point - while pretending to be Stupendous Man, he manages to carry a large piece of wood and jump across a large gap when said wood collapses (by his own hand)!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Hobbes gives one to Calvin in Chapter 4:
"Well, this is just great, Calvin. Just great. Thanks to you, we are now hopelessly lost in an area of the woods we're not familiar with! We could've stayed home for at least a week before the camping trip and have all the fun we wanted. No, you had to make sure your summer vacation was perfect. Well, let me tell you something, buster! Right now, sleeping in a tent on hard rocks and eating dead sea animals and dry spam is starting to sound pretty good right now! You wanna go and get lost in this place? Fine. I'm going home!"
- Dare to Be Badass: Calvin then promptly retorts with his own speech:
"Come on, Hobbes! Don't give up now! We're doing great! We've only been gone for about five hours. If we haven't figured out everything in another five, then it will be okay to give up. Hobbes, we've come too far to give up now! Just think of the fame we'll be getting if we succeed. Also, we're not just doing this for ourselves. We're doing for Susie and Moe and all the other kids. Sure, they're not so great, but do they deserve to miss out on summer vacation because of some wacko? NO, THEY DON'T! No child should have to spending summer vacation in some place we don't know about yet. I feel sorry for those schools that have year round school years, and I wish I could help them, but I can't. This is my way of helping innocent kids get their time off from school to be enjoyable, as all summer vacations should. If you want to go home, fine, but I'm in it for the long run. I'm not giving up until I've rescued those kids!"
- Hobbes gives Calvin another Dare to Be Badass speech later:
"Calvin, if it wasn't for your 'weirdness', we would never have had all the adventures we've had. If you weren't weird, you'd have never of thought to build a Transmogrifier/ duplicator/ time machine. You'd have never thought to make a snowman come to life, only for it to become a Deranged, Mutant, Killer Monster Snow Goon. If it wasn't for you, G.R.O.S.S. wouldn't exist. Stupendous Man, Spaceman Spiff and Tracer Bullet wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for you. Calvin, your weirdness has made many lives to become more interesting. If there's one thing I can count on to get me out of boredom, it's to drag me on some sort of adventure that I'll hate at first but love later on."
- Thing-O-Matic: The Forget-O-Ray.
- See Child Hater above.
- Then there's this from Tracer Bullet:
- Status Quo Is God: Everything returns to normal at the end (save for Calvin gaining the Destructo-Ray).
- Take Over the World: Lampshaded:
That's such a non-original goal for you super villains these days, isn't it? Retro:
Well, it beats the alternative.
- There Are No Adults: Inverted - the kids are all abducted by Retro.
- They Called Me Mad!: Retro sings about it.
- This Is No Time for Knitting: Calvin's Imagine Spots end up playing a key role in the plot, as mentioned above.
- Verbal Backpedaling: Hobbes does this after insulting one of Retro's henchmen.
- You Never Asked:
Galaxoid: We just bought a planet with murky spots?
Nebular: Why did you not tell us?
Calvin: You didn't ask us.