Fan Fic / Which Way is Where?
Which Way is Where?
is a (sort of) continuation of Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble
and is somewhat tied in with The Calvinverse
on that note.
Three months after the events of "Double Trouble", escaped human convict Rupert Chill is still out there and is sill targeting Calvin and Hobbes (desperate that in the last film he was driven to insanity
by them) and keeps sending threatening postcards to their house, which Mom and Dad keep secret in fear that their son will freak out (or laugh so hard he'd forget how to breathe).
Upon receiving a letter in the mail from Tree Huggers International
, Calvin and Mom attempt to hide it from Dad, but one thing leads to another and the family ends up on a road trip to Georgia. While the family stops at a restaurant Calvin and Hobbes sneak into the restroom and duplicate themselves, sending the unaware clones to complete the trip for them while the duo sneak out the window and into the city. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
Now, the duo find themselves in an unfamiliar place, and must figure out how to get back home, all while Chill is after them.
After garfieldodie finished The Remake
of Can You Imagine That?
he officially included this story in the verse.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Chapter 2 has Calvin calling Hobbes "Hibble" and "Houder" (long story).
- Adult Fear: Mom and Dad express some concern for Calvin due to the millions of postcards targeted at him, even forwarding them to the police.
- Andy's dad when Calvin tells him his son was kidnapped.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Ever since Calvin and Hobbes had saved the Earth, Chill was sending them taunting postcards with messages like,
CAREFUL! I MIGHT OF PUT POISON ON THIS THING!
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, COPPERS!
PRAISE THE TWO WONDERFUL HEROS!
And, the most popular one of them all,
WE SHOULD DO LUNCH SOME TIME!
- Badass Driver: Hobbes briefly manages to carjack the van in Chapter 17.
- Balloon Belly: Calvin and Hobbes after eating all the junk food in their hotel room. In fact, they can hardly move!
- Bound and Gagged: Calvin, Hobbes, and Andy.
- Big Damn Heroes: Calvin assists in the capture of Chill in the climax.
- Big "NO!": Calvin does one when he finds the Tree Huggers International letter in the mail.
- Bill... Bill... Junk... Bill...: Calvin does this when sifting through the mail in the first chapter.
"Bills, bill, some guy promising to make [Dad] a millionaire, bills, bills..."
- Brick Joke: Chill's postcards. Dad and Mom receive one in the mail and throw it away without telling Calvin in the beginning, and they are later brought up by Chill when he corners Calvin - naturally, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
- Call-Back: The employee at the gas station in Chapter 8 tells Chill that he reminds him of an old lady and her hyperactive kid with a loud voice and a stuffed tiger from Double Trouble. Chill insists it was his aunt.
- Distressed Dude: Calvin, Hobbes, Andy, and Sherman are captured by Chill in Chapter 15.
- Dull Surprise: See Running Gag below.
- Evil Is Hammy: Chill
- Eye Pop: Hobbes' reaction to finding out the monsters under the bed didn't eat the letter.
- Horrible Camping Trip: The plot is set up by Calvin and Hobbes trying to escape on of these.
- Hotel Hellion: Calvin and Hobbes quickly become this during their stay at The Wonder Inn.
- Lemony Narrator: Gets a particularly good line after a lengthy argument about nothing at the end of chapter 2:
I have no comment here. Let's just go on to the next chapter.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Calvin apparently has a "Dad's gonna make us all miserable again" sense.
- Police Are Useless: Everyone the cops have Chill cornered or trapped, he manages to escape in some sort of bizarre way.
- Questioning Title?
- Running Gag: Socrates walking by sipping a smoothie, seeing/hearing something odd or suspicious, and stops to comment about how weird of a neighborhood he lives in.
- The Scream: Calvin's response to Dad telling him about the Horrible Camping Trip.
Dad: Guess what Calvin! We're going to Georgia!
- The Stinger: Retro Griffin (it's notified that it isn't his hologram counterpart) announcing his return to Earth with Galixoid and Nebular at his side.
- Tempting Fate: From Chapter 10:
Hobbes: Calvin, we're gigantic! How the heck are we going to get the inspiration to get moving?
(Chill enters the room.)
- This Is Gonna Suck: Mom does this when she finds out her husband got the letter.
- Villain Ball: Instead of looking under the desks like a normal (than again look at who we're talking about here) Chill flips the desks over in an attempt to find our protagonists desperate that there are twenty-five in total and that his targets could easily escape. He even eats the gum off the bottom of one of them!
- We Shall Never Speak of This Again: Calvin growls this at Hobbes when he is soaked by Susie's hose during a G.R.O.S.S ambush.