TV Tropes is 149% Funded
View Kickstarter Project
Our Kickstarter campaign has received $74,000 from over 2,000 backers! TV Tropes 2.0 is coming. There is no stopping it now. We have 4 days left. At $75K we can also develop an API and at $100K the tropes web series will be produced. View the project here
and discuss here
This is a specific type of title that poses a question to the reader. This question may relate to the Arc Words
in some way, but need not. Depending on the writer, the answer may be explicitly given, implied, or left ambiguous.
In Hollywood, using such titles is considered bad luck and many writers and studios try to avoid using them (the few exceptions, such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit
, do things such as drop the question mark to avoid being cursed).
See also Driving Question
. And as always, remember that if you Ask a Stupid Question...
, you will Get a Stupid Answer
Contrast Excited Show Title!
and Excited Title! Two-Part Episode Name!
Nani ga Anime ya Manga no shin kinou?
Is this Art?
What do you listen in Audio Play?
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu which originally didn't have the "Fumoffu" bit until the creators realized people were confusing it with the first season of the show (titled Full Metal Panic!). Also sort of a Word Salad Title
- Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?, which also extends to its English title Is the Order a Rabbit?.
- Is This a Zombie? features at least one zombie, a necromancer, two vampires and a magical girl in the cast and the zombie is of the intelligent variety, prompting the question (because he's not the undead eat brains type.)
What Comic Books are up for?
How is that Fan Fic you're reading?
A Film, is it?
- The Firesign Theatre's comedy album, How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All?
How to read Literature?
What are you on watching Live-Action Television?
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape
- Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?
- Dude, Where's My Car? Right across the street.
- Is Paris Burning?
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? In a sepia-toned retelling of The Odyssey set during the Great Depression.
- Quo Vadis?
- Shall We Dance?
- They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
- What?, a film directed by Roman Polanski.
- What About Bob?
- What Did You Do In the War, Daddy?
- What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?
- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
- Whatever Happened to Solange?
- What Price Glory?
- What Price Hollywood?
- What's New, Pussycat?
- What's So Bad About Feeling Good?
- What's Up, Doc?
- What's Up, Tiger Lily?
- What the Bleep Do We Know, a propaganda vehicle for a New Age cult— I mean, film— directed by William Antz.
- Where's Poppa?
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit Christopher Lloyd in dark glasses and a hat.
- Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?
- Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
- Who Says I Can't Ride a Rainbow?
- Who Slew Auntie Roo?
- Who's Minding the Mint?
- Who's Minding the Store?
- Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
- Why Did I Get Married?
- What's the Matter with Helen?
What is that Music you're listening to?
Are you watching Professional Wrestling
- Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
- Are You Being Served?
- Car 54, Where Are You?
- Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego In a red trenchcoat.
- Whats My Line
- Who the (Bleep) did I Marry?
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Every contestant on the show.
- Who Wants to Be a Superhero?
- Doctor Who Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker, Davison, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi, and counting.
- Whos The Boss Angela.
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? Clive Anderson's for the UK, or Drew Carey's if you're a US viewer.
- Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?
Are you going to the Theater with me?
Where's the Video Games?
- CHIKARA's May 26, 2007 show was titled Aniversario?