Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? is a 1985 educational computer game released by Brøderbund Software and the first entry in the Carmen Sandiego franchise. In the game, you must travel around the world to pursue and capture Carmen’s henchmen and, ultimately, Carmen herself. Each location has witnesses and clues that provide information about the culprit’s appearance and location. Your task is to piece together the clues and arrest the correct suspect before the in-game deadline.The 1996 reboot featured Lynne Thigpen as The Chief from the game show with the same name.
This game provides examples of:
- Acme Products: You are a sleuth at ACME Detective Agency in the 1996 version.
- Multiple Endings: Depending.
- Wrong Suspect or you went over Sunday at 17:00 gives you a bad ending. And the jury would blurt "Case Dismiss!" In the CD-Rom version, you will see a newspaper headline with a dramatic fanfare, followed by audience booing.
- Correct Suspect will give you a good ending. And you will hear the jury blurt "Guilty!" and puts the suspect in jail! In the CD-Rom version, you will hear other people fighting and fight smoke comes out. And the newspaper headline will appear with a applause.
- Victory Dance: After you capture Carmen, a marching band parade plays Stars and Stripes Forever.