Series / How Do You Want Me
How Do You Want Me
is a sitcom broadcast on BBC2
in 1996 that was a springboard for comedian Dylan Moran. It features Moran as Ian Lyons, a world-weary
former comedy club owner whose marriage to Lisa Yardley (Charlotte Coleman) has forced him to move to the country, whose inhabitants treat him at best with bemusement, and at worst with open hostility, especially his old-fashioned turkey farmer father-in-law, Astley (Frank Finlay).
The show ran for two series, before a tragic example of Author Existence Failure
left the ending ambiguous.
Provides examples of:
- Dean Bitterman: Headmaster Norriswood, who would go on to play a similar character in The History Boys.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Ian really does try his best, but the country life defeats him. Derek could be considered this, but he is a bit if a Jerkass at times.
- Double Entendre: Smitten Suzanna offers to polish Ian's helmet. He looks behind him to spot a Roman helmet adorning his hatstand.
- Eccentric Townsfolk: To some extent, though its mostly to highlight how out of touch Ian is.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Fathers: Dean is an uncouth lout, but he'll beat the living daylights out of anyone who crosses his father, who is also the only person who can silence him with just a single stare.
- Flat Yes: The Headmasters response to Lisa's query as to whether he and his wife agree on everything.
- Hope Spot: Norriswood giving Ian status by appointing him a school governor. Also Astley's rare attempts at bonding with Ian, such as over cards, or by clay pigeon shooting.
- Hufflepuff House: Warren Yardley, who appears much less than the other siblings. His wife isn't even named.
- Also applies to Honor Deacon, the third teacher at Lisa's school.