Film: Did You Hear About the Morgans?
Did You Hear About the Morgans? is a 2009 Romantic Comedy about a yuppie couple from New York City, Paul (Hugh Grant) and Meryl (Sarah Jessica Parker), going through a separation when they witness a brutal murder. When the murderer actually comes after them, the government secretly whisks them off to a ranch owned by a marshal (Sam Elliot) and his wife (Mary Steenburgen) near the tiny town of Ray, Wyoming. While they are there, Paul and Meryl begin rebonding with each other, while the killer uses every method in the book to hunt them down.
Did You Hear About the Tropes?:
- Adorkable: Hugh Grant as usual.
- Big Applesauce
- Close-Knit Community: Everyone in Ray leaves their keys in their cars in case anyone ever needs to borrow one.
- Ditzy Blonde: Despite being a nurse, Kelly gets confused about what number comes after five.
- Fish out of Water: Paul and Meryl
- Good Adultery, Bad Adultery: Discussed. Overall Paul comes across as a good adulterer. It happened once and he regrets it but Meryl is still treated fairly for being angry that he would cheat on her at all. Meryl is pretty much the same as she slept with someone else while they were already separated but Paul interprets it as her trying to get back at him.
- Happily Married: Clay and Emma. Emma mentions that they have had their struggles in the past but thinks that's normal for a couple who's been married as long as they have. Paul and Meryl by the end.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Clay manages to knock the killer unconscious with a thrown horseshoe.
- I'm Thinking It Over!: Meryl invokes this trope:Cop: Would you rather die in New York or live somewhere else?Meryl: I'm thinking.
- New Mexico Doubling: Ray, Wyoming, is actually Roy, New Mexico.
- Pair the Spares: Paul and Meryl's assistants end up together.
- Shoot Out the Lock: The killer does this to the lock and the deadbolt on Meryl's door without any damage to the doorframe or the deadbolt itself.
- Witness Protection: Drives the plot of the film.