Homer becomes a food critic for the local newspaper, but he gets too caustic for the local restaurant owners' liking.
- Caustic Critic: Homer becomes one about halfway through, causing local restaurants to lose so much business that their owners conspire to have him killed.
- Specifically, Homer becomes more critical after being confronted by several other critics, all of whom are like this — including one who reviews farm supplies.
- Constrained Writing: When Homer becomes a food critic, he writes a review without using the letter E. That's because the E key on his typewriter is broken. "By Homer-no-Earl-no-Bill Simpson!"
- Four Point Scale: In-universe; initially Homer gives everything a good review, simply because he loves food so much.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: Homer's first review was written with a typewriter that didn't have a working "E". When the editor dismissed it as a joke, Homer decided it was indeed a joke.
- This Trope Is BLEEP: Homer's cursing while driving behind an ambulance. Parodied, as the words that got bleeped out weren't the kind of curse words that warrant a bleeping on TV.