Somebody tells you something that you later realize means you're doomed.
For example, say that Bob tells Alice that their phone bill is very high. At first she ignores it, but then realizes what Bob just said and freaks out.
Similar to Delayed Reaction
- In The Absent Minded Professor, Alonzo Hawk sees Professor Brainard flying his Model T and asks his son Biff what it is.
Biff: Oh, it's just Neddy the Nut out flying his old Model T.
Hawk: Say that again.
Biff: I said it's Neddy the Nut flying his—(finally gets it).
- In Alice in Wonderland, Dodo gets a good idea to get a giant Alice out of the White Rabbit's house.
Dodo: That's it, we'll burn the house down!
Yes, burn the house—WHAT!?
- From A Goofy Movie
- In Young Tom Edison, a Morse code message is sent to the train via steam whistle.
Tannie Edison: Mr. Nelson, they're trying to tell us the bridge is out.
Mr. Nelson: They are. Well-well, the bridge is out. (beat) THE BRIDGE IS OUT!?
- At the end of The Nostalgia Critic's review of A Simple Wish, he wraps up his knocking of the film and Mara Wilson's performance. She appears on screen while he's talking to take him to task about it:
Critic:: But I'm sorry, I'm just not a fan of her movies! I mean, it's like everything Mara Wilson touched back then just turned to crap! I mean look at her, with her couch, her modern day haircut, her 25-ish year old body, her vengeful eyes that seem to be looking directly at me right now—AAAGH!
Mara: Hello, Critic.
- In the South Park episode "Pre-School", Cartman has this reaction.
Cartman: Hey gaybots, what's going on?
Kyle: Trent Boyett is being released from juvenile hall.
Cartman: Really? That's cool, when did...(eyes widen) What did you say?
- In the Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends episode "Phone Home", Bloo brings home a man in a cell phone suit, thinking it's an imaginary friend, and gloats to Wilt, Frankie and Mr. Herriman about his find. When Frankie tells him what his "friend" really is, Bloo continues to gloat before realizing mid-sentence what she said.
Bloo: I say you're jealous because I brought home the best abandoned friend ever I'd say you're jealous because I brought home—
Frankie: A man in a cellphone suit.
Bloo: That's right, a man in a—say what?
- In the Looney Tunes short "Draftee Daffy", when Daffy gets a call saying that the man from the draft board is coming to see him.
Daffy: Oh the little man from the draft board is coming to see me! Oh the d-d-d-d-d-d-THE MAN FROM THE DRAFT BOARD!?
- In T.U.F.F. Puppy episode "Freaky Spy-Day", Kitty, in Dudley's body, wakes up unaware of what just happened. She gets a badly written note from Dudley with parts like how he spelled "brains" to "brians". Because of how badly written the note is, she went into the women's restroom where the women inside screamed and leave. Kitty looks at herself in the mirror and realizing what Dudley's note meant.
(Cue to Kitty entering a women's restroom and once again, the women screamed and leave. She looks at herself at the mirror and screamed.)
Kitty: That lame-brian meant brains! DUDLEY!!