Film: Why Dont You Play In Hell
Why Don't You Play in Hell? is a 2013 Japanese dark comedy written and directed by Sion Sono. It's about the intersection of a yakuza war, an ambitious Mafia Princess, and a ludicrously motivated amateur film crew.
This film features the following tropes
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: One yakuza clan reinvents itself by wearing traditional kimonos and living in a medieval castle in an attempt to get more warrior spirit.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In the end, as befits a film about filmmakers, we hear the director call cut and the real film crew walk into the shot.
- Did Not Do the Bloody Research: The Japanese film crew call themselves the "Fuck Bombers."
- Everyone Dies: Everyone but the film director dies.
- Gang of Hats: The clans are distinguished by their outfits: one wears classic suits, the other wears traditional kimonos and live in a castle.
- Gratuitous English:
- The toothpaste jingle has gratuitous English interspersed throughout, including "Let's go!" and "Let's fly!"
- The filmmakers call themselves by the English phrase "Fuck Bombers." It's unclear whwther they even know what this means.
- Mafia Princess: Michiko, the strong-willed daughter of yakuza leader Muto. She wants to be a star at all costs.
- Mob War: Between two rival yakuza clans
- Non-Indicative Title: What the title means is never directly referenced.
- Shout-Out: Tak Sakaguchi sports the Bruce Lee yellow tracksuit from Game of Death and wields a katana.
- Stylistic Suck: The trailer that Fuck Bombers creates obviously has No Budget.
- Time Skip: The film jumps ten years after the first act and recasts all of the Fuck Bombers.