Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!
is an action-adventure game for the Nintendo DS and 3DS based on the wildly popular animated series Adventure Time
, with a story by series creator Pendleton Ward.
Finn and Jake awaken from a crazy dream involving the Cosmic Owl to find that the Ice King has made off with their garbage for some sinister purpose. Not just their garbage, in fact, but garbage from people all across the Land of Ooo. Our dauntless adventurers must journey from kingdom to kingdom, fighting weird monsters and learning new abilities in order to get their stuff back and get to the bottom of the Ice King's latest evil scheme.
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! contains examples of:
- Background Boss: Stage two of the fight with the Ice King.
- Boss Subtitles
- But Thou Must: Parodied; whenever Jake shows reluctance in performing a new power, the narrator loudly announces that Jake decides to just roll with it.
- Call Back: The game is loaded with references to episodes of the show. For starters, many power-ups are based on the spells Finn learned in "Wizard" like Tiger Claws, Vorpal Hand, and Beauteous Wings.
- Clear My Name: Finn and Jake must provide alibis for three prisoners being held by Lemongrab as suspects in the stealing of Princess Bubblegum's pantyhose.
- Easily Forgiven: Once she's beaten, Lumpy Space Princess is immediately forgiven for trying to blow up all of Ooo, as compared to the Ice King, who was just stealing trash.
- Flaming Sword: Finn receives one of these, from Flame Princess, it's used to melt the ice cubes in the Ice Kingdom.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Finn and Jake enter the Candy Kingdom, they have to find out who stole Princess Bubblegum's pantyhose. It was the Ice King as part of his game with the heroes. Most outrageous are the quotes one gets from interrogating two NPCs. Talking to the Candy Cane Man will have him reply with "I'm a meat and potatoes kind of man. I like baseball, truck-driving, and spitting. I have no interest in pantyhose." Asking the Marshmallow Kid will make him call Finn out for accusing a child of stealing pantyhose and claiming that he would have lived a normal life had he not been asked about ladies' underwear.
- Harmful Healing: Royal Tarts will either heal you for a lot of HP, or reduce you to one hit point and leave you slowed-down.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Food power-ups heal you.
- I Call It Vera: Finn's sword is called "Scarlet the Golden Sword"
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Enchiridion, it can defeat any enemy in the game in a single hit, and while it's not exactly hard to get, nothing in the game even hints it's existence
- Konami Code: Enter it at the title screen and you get the "Secret Screen"
- New Game+
- Rambling Old Man Monologue: Finn and Jake are on the receiving end of one from an old well guy living in the village of the House People.
- Save Point: Provided by the Water Nymphs from "Power Animal".
- If you try to go into the Tree Dungeon before getting Finn's sword, Jake will warn him "It's dangerous to go alone!"
- In the Badlands Dungeon, right before the boss, the Ice King's parting words are "But enough talk! Have at you!". Also, examining Ice King's latest attempt at a Garbage Princess will have Jake describe it as "A miserable little pile of garbage."
- For extra bonus points, said boss is Marceline, a vampire.
- Suicidal Cosmic Temper Tantrum: Lumpy Space Princess tries to destroy the world because Finn threw away the home-made ashtray she gave him for her birthday.
- Unexpected Shmup Level
- Zero-Effort Boss: Bliblob, the Cutest Warrior, goes down with one hit.