What time is it? Uh... well... not radar time, apparently. Adventure Time is rated TV-PG, but it is still considered a kid's show...more or less. It is cleaner than other radar-dodging shows, but that doesn't mean it can't get away with things that other channels and kids' shows wouldn't dare. It is on Cartoon Network after all... However, outside the United States, this is not the case, and as a result, the show is heavily censored or bowdlerized in the dubs to ensure that it remains a kid's show. The Australian network version and the UK version are said to be the hardest hit, but the Blu Ray and DVD versions remain uncensored.
- Many of the characters use Unusual Euphemism in place of swear words.
- Embryo Princess shows up in the background of a couple episodes, and full-screen in Season 4. She was going to be known as Abortion Princess.
- Lemongrab was originally called Lemonsnatch, a play on "sourpuss", but the censors wouldn't allow it as it's a genital joke. As for which set of genitals it refers to, you're better off looking that up someplace that's not here.
- From late season four, Finn, Jake and Ice King all at one point take advice from J.T Doggzone's book "Mind Games", which is pretty obviously a mockery of pick up artist books◊.
- The show repeatedly implies that Jake and Lady Rainicorn do a lot of kinky, interspecies sex.
- In the Tree Fort, where Finn and Jake live, a poster seems to show a naked woman (with tears that hide the sexual parts). According to the crew however, she's wearing a strapless bikini.
Divided By Episodes
open/close all folders
"Slumber Party Panic"
- When Jake gets with Lady Rainicorn in a game of "Seven Minutes in Heaven" and the door is opened, Lady Rainicorn is in a strange position. This can be explained that, due to Lady Rainicorn's length, she had to essentially twist herself around Jake to fit in the closet. But when she later becomes pregnant...
- Mr. Cupcake is dared to take off his "wrapper" in a truth or dare game. After he does it, people go "wooow" and "I didn't know he was chocolate".
- "Tree Trunks! Get those hot buns in here, girl!" (Tree Trunks walks in carrying a basket of hot cross buns)
- "Gimme some sugar!" (Said by a candy person trying to eat Princess Bubblegum)
- The portal to her dimension is a frog on a mushroom, and Makeout Point in Lumpy Space is a giant tongue.
- "I said 'Lump off', mom!"
- "I lumping hate them!"
- Tree Trunks attempting to seduce a tentacle monster.
Tree Trunks: I'm helping you by tempting this guy with... my body...
- Finn fights a heart monster that he beats by punching, whereupon the screen is briefly covered by a geyser of blood, although said blood somehow disappears in the next shot.
- "Tenderness, ingenuity, bravery, nard-kicking ability, and when you took that giant ogre's dollar, oh man, The Keeper nearly fainted!" It should be of note that the "nard-kicking ability" line (and the previous nard-kicking scene) was cut when this episode aired on Cartoon Network Australia.
- "I gotta tuck you in, girl."
- The first time we see Ricardio, he's walking on LSP's back saying it was a massage meant only for "best friends" and that it was "completely consensual."
- Ricardio is a rapist as we can know throughout the episode.
- Lady Rainicorn's joke is about "the time when [she and Jake] ran naked through that farmer's cabbage patch." Probably got past the radar since that joke was told entirely in Korean.
- Lady Rainicorn, when wanting to try to get Jake to join her and Finn after she could speak English thanks to the translator, actually says the line "Come on, my darling, wrap your legs around me." The fact that the line is said in an old man's voice adds a level or two of creepiness to it as well.
Jake: "I remember why I drowned that translator now!"
- When trying to use Tiffany to make Finn jealous, Finn is totally confused and unresponsive, seeing no reason why he would be — until it's revealed that Tiffany is a boy, at which point Finn instantly goes berserk and lunges at him, calling him a homewrecker.
- The mountain's comment of "Those men and their disgusting, fantastic bodies." Which Jake follows up with "Whoa, this guy’s got problems."
- "And I can still see his gorgeous back!" And at the back of the mountain, there are hills "conveniently" shaped like butt cheeks.
- The marauders petting each other. And getting into it.
- This episode can be summed up as ("You stole my purity") and murder ("My hands are unclean") joke, which becomes just plain creepy when Finn accuses a little girl of stealing his purity from him (It Makes Sense in Context, but still...).
Finn: We're virgin islands!
- It was originally supposed to be "virgins" but the Cartoon Network censors just remembered that they had a moral code and actually asked the writers to change it.
- In CN UK however, this isn't the case. This episode was HEAVILY censored to remove EVERY reference to purity, virginity, murder, crime, etc.
- It was originally supposed to be "virgins" but the Cartoon Network censors just remembered that they had a moral code and actually asked the writers to change it.
- In this episode Finn calls Ice King a "dumbhole", as in "asshole" + "dumbass". A very clever way to incorporate both words and yet not say "ass"!
- "He was infused with my private particles."
- Ice Kings reads a magazine with a bra in its cover.
- This exchange.
Ice King: I just finished tying up my bride.
Finn: Weird. You mean your bride is into that?
- "Don't flaunt it, if you're not gonna give it up!" In case you're wondering Finn is talking about a key and right before this line, Finn sang a song saying that he wanted to have the key's baby.
Finn: Oh key, we're meant to be
I want to have your baby
Oh key, you're so good to me—
(finding out the key is suspended in a cube of jelly)
Euuugh, Jelly Cube! Come on, give it to me. Don't flaunt it—if you're not—gonna—give it up!
- This episode is exceptionally violent and contains much violent dialogue. Like, three minutes of this episode are missing in UK airings.
- The Duchess spoke about the Duke of Nuts "lying with his wife".
- "You son of a blee-blop!"
- At the end of the episode, Jake is dressed as Princess Bubblegum at the Grand Meeting of Ooo Royalty, looking incredibly bored. Eventually, he turns to a prince who is actually the Marquis of Nuts in disguise and says the following:
"Ugh... Buy a lady a drink?"
- Jake keeps encouraging Finn to stay a giant foot, and when asked he says that Finn will understand when he's older. Yeah, Jake totally has a foot fetish.
- This episode contains one of the most disturbing moments in the entire show. Magic Man calls over a bird and turns it inside out, showing blood, guts, veins, organs, you name it, for several seconds. It was so grotesque the entire scene was removed in UK airings.
- Duke of Nuts wants to know why Finn wants to "sack his nut castle". Wouldn't be so bad except they use the phrase several times in a minute.
Duke of Nuts: Why would you want to sack my nut castle on my second son's first birthday?!
- Near the beginning when Jake says "I'd love to help you, but she scares the filling out of my doughnut." In a previous episode he referred to his butt as his "powdered doughnut", getting "crap" past the radar.
- "Hey, Finn! Thinking about how that guy's bow-tie kinda looks like a bra?" UK cut it as usual.
- Jake imagines his mom naked at the end, and says it out loud. UK cut it as usual.
- This episode is the only time in the entire series the word "Crap" is used. UK and Australia changed it to "Cripes" though. Dang it.
- In the book that shows the Ice King's howls curing the Candy People, on the opposite page you see "5318008", which when turned upside-down reads "boobies". They definitely put that in on purpose, considering if you pause it and look closely, you notice some odd dots in some of the rounder numbers.
- "I think I heard the word "virile" in there"
- "Sharon, you've been a bad girl!" He's talking to his wife.
- When Jake is worried he might be the Gut Grinder:
Finn: You can't be stealing gold in your sleep! *wide eyed, happy expression* I watch you when you sleep.
Jake: What? Yo, Finn, that's creepy, man.
Finn: I can't help it! I take pictures.
"It Came from the Nightosphere"
- "Who the fluff are you?"
- "Nobody flicks me in my butt without my consent!"
- And Marceline's father has a phallic appearance, has serious vagina dentata mouth, and absorbs and releases souls which look like giant sperm.
Pen Ward: Marceline’s dad, when he turned into a giant monster, we had a bunch of notes about it, that it was too vagina-like. We had to change the shape of it and then they said it looked too much like a penis.
- After Finn defeats Marceline's dad, he says "I'll see you in the Nightosphere, you sick freak!" According to Word of God, the Nightosphere is Hell.
- The discussion of snakes: "There's even one in my underpants!" Really. With a visual aid too (Finn's holding up a snake, wearing a pair of his underpants).
- When Finn and Jake are near the window, a tiny figure hanging itself can be seen.
- The Ice King says he likes 'smooth princesses' when he rejects Lumpy Space Princess.
- This entire episode is about people trying to embarrass Finn.
- Finn steps into the "Swamp of Embarrassment" which features him having to run through loads of old ladies showering. Some of the lines in this scene include: "My most private parts peeped by boy!", "PERVERT!", "MY PRIVATES!!". Yeah, this scene was only shown in full in the US. Everywhere else censored it in one form or another.
- There's an entire MINUTE of this episode dedicated to showing Finn how to pick up a ball with his butt. We see PLENTY of ghost butt in that time. Amazingly this WASN'T removed in UK airings.
- "No! I'm secretly in love with Mr. Goose! And now... He'll never love me! Because I am soiled."
- All the animals Finn messed with attack him, and the duck appears to be humping his butt.
- Basically everything with the cow and the paper bag.
- Jake switching back and forth between imitating a male snail and a female snail is actually a pretty clever joke about how snails are hermaphrodites. And also a stunning example of this trope.
- Jake goes into the house, which is currently on Snorlock's back, but get this... currently Snorlock has a bunch of lady snails "dancing" against him, which is destroying their home in the process. Before Jake leaves, Finn has this line:
Finn: JAKE, NOOOO! You'll get slimed or grinded on!
- You can also clearly see the "ass" of the girl snails.
- Snorlock's beatboxing is a dead ringer for a Bow Chicka Wow Wow porno beat. And when he atttracts the babes with it, the start bumpin' and grindin' on him.
- The gnomes lead Finn to a machine that has a capsule with a pole in it, and is powered by "sexy-fun dancing!". Finn refuses, but they shoot electricity through the floor and Finn is forced to dance around the pole in order to not be electrocuted. It's pretty terrifying if you get down to it. So, yeah, in summary, they made Finn pole-dance.
- In the next shot, Jake is surrounded by dancing bugs chanting "Chug! Chug! Chug!" with an upturned red Solo cup.
- Tree Trunks' reference to Jake 'gently rubbing' her face: "Get your junk off my trunk."
- This interesting exchange:
Crystal Man 1: Hurry up guys, I gotta drop a crystal donk.
Crystal Man 2: Oh, come on, I don't wanna hear that!
Crystal Man 1: Hey whatever man, I ain't ashamed.
- (Crystal-possessed) Tree Trunks referring to Finn as her "lover" and wanting to make him her "sexy Crystal King", and going on to say they can "kiss each other in an alternate dimensional plane"...Finn is twelve and Tree Trunks is a small elephant. She tells him he's cute and that she likes him even after she's NOT possessed anymore. Tree Trunks is weird.
- Bubblegum said that Cinnamon Bun was half baked. Given the way he was acting...
- Another "son of a" line said by Finn.
Finn: Son of a—"The Chamber of Frozen Blades"
- In the Ice King's secret chamber, there is a poster of a girl in a bikini with the title Bikini Assassin on it. Another poster has two ninjas rip each other's hearts out.
- This line:
Burglar: Give me those hot buns, lady!
- The "Goblin Song" is dubbed in this way in Spain:
- Finn mentions dimethyltryptamine, a naturally occurring compound in the brain believed to play a part in the visual component of dreams. Of course, it's also a recreational hallucinogen...
- Jake comments on Finn's gift to Princess Bubblegum as "Giving his spit to her." Finn's gift was a scale model of the Candy Kingdom made of his spit bubbles, but still...
Jake: So you wanna give her your spit, huh?
Finn: Yeah! ... WAIT—NO.
Jake: It's all right, dude, I totally get it...
- Marceline finally agrees to go to the movies with Finn as just friends. And what does she say? "But no tongue". Sadly, the UK cut this line out. Bummer.
- There is about 10 seconds of very passionate kissing between everyone at the movies. Sure it isn't very graphic or overly exaggerated, but it was enough for the Australian censors to block it.
- In with bears dancing in the background be seen grinding against each other.
- The constant referring to feces as "stuff."
- When Finn and Jake first see the labyrinth:
Finn: (looking at the labyrinth from uphill) Fudge, man! This place is yoga balls huge!
- And the song Finn and Jake sing inside the labyrinth. Could be a Double Entendre as well.
- "Careful, dude. I think that's my nurp, but like super stretched out."
Asker: What's a "nurp?"
Adam Muto: What you say when Standards and Practices doesn't let you say "nipple."
- They mention smooching a LOT.
- Finn punches a sentient gauntlet in the eye. At the water-chase scene, Finn apologizes to it but phrases it rather oddly:
Finn: Hey man, I'm sorry for punching you in the ball.
- "Well... holes are holes!"
"Conquest of Cuteness"
- This line:
Finn: Those cuties are nothing but an afternoon's delight.
Finn: I'm gonna manhandle those guys's banandles!
- And this one:
- Jake says "I think that's just puberty calling". Sadly the UK cut this line, as usual.
- Landing on an upright shield by his balls. Ouch.
Ash: Just pickin' up my girl for a night on the town—at my place.
- Ice King spreads his honey on Breakfast Princess' pancakes. It's made worse considering her skirt is a pancake.
- Ice King attempts a Look Behind You against Scorcher. "Look! Someone got hit in the boing-loins!" And as if this wasn't bad enough, he keeps repeating it until Scorcher looks! An animatic released after the episode aired reveals that he originally said "nuts", not "boing-loins".
- Could possibly be a bit of a Development Gag, as the name of the network executive that has the final say on what the show can and can't do is Robert Sorcher.
- Ice King offers Scorcher night vision X-ray goggles, for when he has "lady house guests".
- One of the hearts (that say "CALL ME" and so on) gives some of its biomass to Princess Bubblegum. You never see it completely, but the message on it is "TUG ME".
- You can see the "TUG ME" heart's official character art here.◊
- When Lumpy Space Princess says, "No, Jessica! Don't cheat on Tony with me!" because "Jessica" the wolf started licking her.
- For a brief moment, when Gunther is climbing on Jake's head, Gunther appears to be humping Jake's face.
- The Ice King makes omelets with his feet so that he will "be inside" Jake, hoping he will feel closer to him.
- Abracadaniel. The rainbow magic and general apathy towards kissing a girl give... certain implications.
- And then there's the fact that he's pink with poofy, short pants and a triangle-shaped head.
- This exchange:
- And this:
Fionna: Ice Queen, why you always predatoring on dudes?
Ice Queen: Ha! You should talk! Keeping all the babes to yourself! Totally ice-blocking my game!
- Cake saying "Sweet babies!" with dilated pupils while holding a bag of catnip.
- After Lord Monochromacorn gets done "talking" with Cake for the first time, her tail poofs up.
- The bedroom scene. Until Fionna noticed that Prince Gumball was frozen to the ceiling, it looked like it was going a completely different way.
Fionna: Hey, is this your bedroom?
Prince Gumball: (locks door) Fionna... (unbuttons shirt)
Fionna: Heh-heh... (to herself) whoa...
Cake: (after hearing Fionna struggling and seeing her with Gumball, her dress shredded, she starts to attack Gumball) DON'T YOU TOUCH HER!
- HELL, just look at the bed.◊ It's somewhat bewildering how this got by.
- Cake believing that Fionna almost got raped counts also.
- Finn has a piece of Princess Bubblegum's hair that he has "private time" with.
Finn: You guys... knew?
Jake: Finn. We're roommates.
- This episode is accused of subtext that Marceline was in love with Princess Bubblegum.
Marceline: I'm gonna to drink the red from your pretty pink face, I'm gonna—
Princess Bubblegum: Marceline, that's too distasteful!
Marceline: Oh... You don't like that? ...Or do you just not like me?!
- Alcoholic beverages can be seen in the background of the candy tavern scene.
- This bit:
Lumpy Space Princess: I blinked my balls.... My eye balls.
Princess Bubblegum: Hehehehehe!
- Lumpy Space Princess screaming in agony while using the bathroom.
- What Lady Rainicorn said in the episode:
Finn: Whoa, you can phase people into your body?
Lady Rainicorn: (in Korean) <Of course. Jake and I merge our bodies into one all the time.>
- Also, after being phased into Lady, LSP makes a remark about being ready to be kissed now in a tone that strongly suggests that she found the experience sexually pleasurable.
- When LSP is about to be attacked by the zombies:
Lumpy Space Princess: I know you want this body... BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!
- Near the end of the episode:
Jake: Sorry for bitin' you, sugar.
Lady Rainicorn: (smiles, in Korean) <I wanted you to bite me.> note
Jake: (Luminescent Blush) (nervous laugh) Heh... heh-heh-heh-heh.... Oh...
- At the end of the episode:
- "I found this note stabbed in my door...man."
- To summarize—this is an entire episode about Jake wanting to kill himself. Granted, it's because of acceptance of fate, not sadness, but still.
- Beemo plays VHS tapes by sticking them up his butt.
Beemo: It goes in my butt. (turns around, bends forward) note
- And ejects with Ice King's past as a human by straining really hard.
- "My alarm says it's your bath time, Finn. Get naked."
- "We can still take a bath."
- In the ending, LSP can be seen stroking the Candy Cane Man rather suggestively.
- Finn's song/rap at the beginning of the episode:
Shake your extremities
Shake your extremities
All your arms and knees
I want 'em, shake 'em, baby, please
Baby, shake your eyes for me.
Shake your eyes for me.
Shake your eyes for me.
Shake your eyes for freeee
Now make some bills
Make a fills
Make a mill
Quack me up with some yokes
I like girls who know the ropes...
- Amazingly, this wasn't removed from the Australian version of the episode! Or the UK version for that matter!!!
- The little rhyme that Finn recites about "Cloud Hunt," describes a nuclear attack in kid-friendly terms.
Over the mountain, the ominous cloud
coming to cover the land in a shroud,
hide in a bushel, a basement, a cave,
but when cloud comes a-huntin',
no one's a save... no, safe!
- And when Finn sneaks into Marceline's bathroom and looks up, all we see of Marceline is her hands taking her sock off her otherwise bare leg. Directly where Finn is looking. Finn's eyes widen, and he sneaks back exactly the way he came. When Jake asks how it went, Finn basically says, "That was a bad idea." He looks and acts stunned. In Australian airings this never happened.
- After Marceline finds out Finn and Jake were in her closet, she tells them it's not a big deal because she spies on them all the time in their house. When Finn and Jake go to bed, they take comically extreme measures to stay covered up, showing they're clearly afraid of Marceline seeing them in the nude (even though Jake is always nude).
- Paper Pete, while acting, tells Finn to burn in Tartarus. In Greek mythology, Tartarus is the deepest part of Hell, so , Finn is told to go to Hell.
Paper Pete: "May you rot in Tartarus, may your skin boil, and eyes burst into flames, forever in a pit!"
- Yet more evidence that Jake has a foot fetish:
Jake: (while clown nurse is kissing his feet) I'm feelin' better already. Ha! That tickles!
Nurse: You want me to stop?
Jake: No, keep goin'. (she does)
Finn: (beat) You're gross, man.
- The whole implication lying beneath Finn being held down by two women while a third excitedly kisses his foot. Understandably, Finn is totally freaked out by this.
- "Glob it, Glob it, Glob it, Glob it!"
- This conversation:
Ghost Princess (talking about Clarence): It's like we already know each other!Clarence: I feel it too; our spirits must be entwined in the cosmic wheel of time.Jake: [Gives a thumbs-up] NICE!Clarence: Let's go to my private mausoleum where we can be... private.Finn: Yuck!
- When Jake messes with the pre-recorded messages at the end of the episode, he creates an... interesting sequence.
Joshua (on tapes): I made you boys something—It's babies. Full of babies. —The family sword. It's made out of—babies.
- In a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, Finn kills monsters by taking out its brain.
- When Jake sings, he says "A fire inside my body", to Flame Princess.
Flame King: A fire inside my body"?! I AM DISGUSTED!
- Even worse: his original line was "'A fire inside my body'? That's pornographic!"
"Hot to the Touch"
- There's this little piece of dialogue:
- Another sneaky one: when Finn and Jake are in the garage, there is a magazine with the word "Satan" on it.◊ Glob knows what other stuff the background makers have snuck by the radar...
- At the Candy Kingdom Talent Show, LSP was going to perform a song called "These Lumps", which was performed by a group of candy girls instead. The song's lyrics are an easy Double Entendre.
- This exchange.
Finn: Does your wife make that sound, too?!
Ed: Yeah, I guess, but she never does it in front of me.
- "Your butt is dysfunctional!" (And then Barb blushes.)
- All you need to know is that this episode is basically two characters kissing and making out for 11 minutes. This episode was considered to be so gross that it was actually banned in Asian countries.
- "He's been helping me... tend to my rose garden." Cue TT and Pig giggling mischievously and exchanging naughty glances.
- Finn and Jake visit Hell.◊ Or what really resembles Hell. Even Pen calls it one of the coolest depictions of "Hell" on television, which it could be.
- The way Beemo reacts to Finn & Jake's arguing calls to mind a child reacting to a argument in a dysfunctional household.
- When Finn and Jake find the woods party, Jake says the following about the bear. "He got in close and used you. Now he's feeding nuts to your ex girlfriend." Cut to bear putting a peanut in Bubblegum's mouth. And then bear giving her the heimlich maneuver.
- "Didn't even tell me its name..."
- The very concept of this episode, which focuses on Finn sneaking into rooms at midnight and giving people really strong hugs.
- Mob: No more hugs (without consent)!
- "I HUG YOUR MOM!"
- While the deer is being hugged by the hug wolf, he says: "Uh... I've got a wife."
- When the alpha hug wolf turns back to normal (her normal form happens to be a beautiful humanoid woman):
Jake: Can I get a hug?
- LSP worries that someone is getting fresh with her lumps.
- "I can introduce your parts to something new."
- Goliad is clearly saying "Glob Dobbit" in the playground scene. We know who Glob stands for, so Dobbit... is presumably not something she should be saying. Bonus points for the fact that actor is using her best cutesy voice she can while doing so.
- Goliad's head is also a bit... nutritious in nature? For the youngest of viewers.
- When "the real cutie pie" drifts through, and Finn is disgusted by the Ice King's lust over it.
Ice King: What? I swear I never touch 'em!
- Amazingly this scene WASN'T censored in UK airings!
- The Ice King is naked, and he tries to cover himself up with Finn's hat as a shirt. The bear ears are right where the Ice King's nirps should be, and it looks an awful lot like a bra.
- "These lumps are not for SALE, BILLY!!!"
- In this episode, it's made clear that "lumps" are a euphemism for breasts. note
Lumpy Space Princess: Looks like I'm gonna have to bust out these cobras to get a better dinner. (rubs her lumps) Hey, Fiiiinn... Have anything better to eat??
- In this episode, it's made clear that "lumps" are a euphemism for breasts. note
- When LSP shows up to be Finn and Jake's secretary, she leans over for an extended period of time to pull something out of her purse on the ground. She doesn't have an ass to show off, but it's obvious what she's doing.
- LSP stripping her "dress" and swinging it around for Finn...
Lumpy Space Princess: Finn, my dress is slipping...
- At one point LSP gets trapped in a room covered in mirrors. She sees in them Finn, taking off his shirt and hat and swinging his long blonde hair seductively. At first she's happy thinking she's finally seduced Finn, but as the topless Finns then walk towards her with their hands outstretched:
Lumpy Space Princess: Oh, lump, I took it too far!
- Everything we see of LSP's book. It uses the term "PO" and has a story about Melissa, whose "lump was crooked" after she left the bathroom.
- After Jake, disguised as a milkman, (and Finn, disguised as Jake's shadow) enters the grocery store Cookie is holding up, he tells the cookie he's there to deliver milk. Cookie tells him to hurry up and then "get the math out of here."
- One of the cookie's chips is named Chip Faced.
- Jake: "Holy Chip!"
- "I glubbed up!"
- At the end, after Princess Bubblegum has made it clear she will not forgive the cookie for his crimes and will imprison him for life, Princess Cookie definitely attempts to commit suicide by falling backwards off a cliff. Given that this is a kids' show - allegedly - he doesn't die, but he does break into pieces. PB and crew put him back together...and put him in a mental hospital. When we next see the cookie, he's in a straitjacket.
- When Abraham Lincoln gives his immortality to death, there is a very clear gunshot noise as the screen fades out, the next scene we see him as the Lincoln Memorial. All those who know about Lincoln know this reference.
- Jake explains "The Tiers of Love":
Jake: Bro, you gotta let things take their natural path. Look, let me explain to you some junk about dating. Right now, you're at Tier 1, which is hugging, but pretty soon, you'll be at Tier 2, which is smooching! Then down the road you'll make it to Tier 5, where she'll let you discover all of her 15 feet of her long beautiful stomach. And after a while, you'll make it to Tier 8, where you touch her horn for the very first time, very special.
Finn: What about Tier 15?
Jake: (immediately) YOU STAY AWAY FROM THAT.Jake: DO NOT DO tier 15!
Jake: And then you'll make it to Tier 9! On that one, just make sure you have a comfy place to sit the next day. (ashamed) Cuz uh...you'll need some time to reflect on what you did.
- In the original storyboard, Jake was gonna mention Tier 9.
- Amazingly, this joke was left completely intact in UK airings. I guess they bribed them to leave just that one joke in, because it was just too good to censor.
- Loraine says she hid the sock in their "secret grown-up kissing spot," which turns out to be Finn's pillow.
- Princess Bubblegum: I'm having coffee with The Lich. You wouldn't understand. You're too young.
- When Ricardio first talks to PB, he asks if she found his dungeon stimulating. Remember that the dungeon featured grabbing hands, glaring eyes, and a giant tongue.
- When Princess Bubblegum takes off her jacket, Ricardio looks very excited.
- Just before, he was talking about how didn't just want to make out with her heart anymore, he wanted the "whole package." PB then taking off her jacket was accompanied by her pretending to give in to him.
- Lady Rainicorn reveals that she is pregnant. She doesn't say it in the cartoonishly joyous way, either. This causes some Fridge Horror when you remember how Ricardio tied her in a knot and threw her against the wall, all while she was pregnant...
- It also means that Jake's warning to Finn not to do Tier 15 was hypocritical.
- Aaaand the suicidal subtexts are back, everyone! Lemongrab jumps out of a window in his despair over his castle having no citizens. Princess Bubblegum tries to talk him out of it, but he falls out of the window listlessly. She reaches out, saying "Wait!," to no avail. When he falls to the ground unharmed, he runs screaming through the castle grounds, tearing off his clothes while wailing, "YOU'RE... MY... GLOB! YOU'RE MY GLOB!" To recap, Glob="God" in the AT universe.
- Finn and Jake get knocked out and have a dream where a creature called the "Dream Warrior" gives them advice on how to defeat a big farmhouse. was to aim for the "golden apples".
- Farm craps on Finn and Jake... He squats down, and a bunch of animals fall out of the bottom of the farm.
- At one point, a character refers to Farm as a "mother".
- The thing that berserks the Flame King into arresting Finn is finding out the Finn has his daughter's scented candles. Finn and Jake had already been arrested at this point. Finding the scented candles in Finn's backpack is what got Flame King to bring out the executioners. Given what a candle looks like, wick and all, it's quite possible that these are her tampons.
Guard: Sire! It's your daughter's scented candles!Flame King: SICKOS! Off with their heads!
- The "Butt Tree", a tree with a pair of lumps on it suspiciously shaped like buttocks.
- Said butt-shaped lumps are in a hole that looks a lot like a vulva.
- A piece of questionable dialogue...
- Not to mention when the Mega-Frog attacks Jake:
Jake: He's eating me! Gently eating me! No teeth, mostly tongue!
- And on a related note:
Woobeewoo: He chases us all up and down from first base to home!
- Although it isn't intentional, when trying to make a fire, Finn slides a stick in and out of a Y-shaped stick in a motion that is rather suggestive of sex.◊
- In a Freeze-Frame Bonus, it is revealed that Ice King's search history yields the query "wizard chick pics, skinny knees" and a few about "wiping my bum".
- The Ice King apparently thinks Marceline's music is good for picking up chicks. And considering the rather shippy undertones between her and Bubblegum from "What was Missing"...
- Even better, when he says "I'll even split the fans with you. I get the princesses, and you get... whatever it is you're into."
- "You know I kinda like being tied up in these cords... kinda freaky."
- Marceline immediately drops him. Gets rather squicky when you find out he used to be a father figure to her.
- A newspaper article about Simon Petrikov makes mention of "hard-drinking journalists".
- In the Dutch dub instead of saying "help me get some princess action" the ice king says "help me om een prinses in bed the krijgen" which is the Dutch equivalent of saying help me sleep with a princess.
Season Five part one
"Five More Short Graybles"
- Finn and Jake plays to put their finger in things.
- Tree Trunks' mini story has her get extremely offended at something she saw, after trying to get a vigilante mob (and failing badly) they realize what it was and why it was an accident, Shelby the Worm was reading a book on the fist of a statue, and his upright position made Tree Trunks think it was something else. By this point the censors are either being bribed to let things pass or are just incompetent. Unfortunately, in the UK, this is not the case. This Grayble was HEAVILY edited to remove ALL hints of middle finger action.
- The episode is another group of "graybles" with a connecting theme. Throughout the show, we are led to believe that the theme is the five fingers. It is not (it's actually the five tastes), and our host Cuber addresses this by explaining that nobody has five fingers anymore. But we all know the real reason is that that would mean acknowledging that was about the middle finger.
- At the very end, BMO convinces Finn and Jake to stick their fingers into 'these holes' (the controllers) to play a video game. BMO then makes a ring shape with his fingers, through which Finn and Jake stick their thumbs to press the controllers, creating a certain suggestive gesture.
- When BMO is teaching Football how to use a salt shaker, Football shaking the salt shaker is rather suggestive.
- Along with having more suggestive dialogue than usual, Finn's interaction with the little people in his bag is a reference to and a Take That! against fanfiction and the people obsessed with shipping fictional characters. In particular:
- Mini-Marceline licking Mini-Peppermint Butler sensuously.
- Mini-Turtle Princess spanking Mini-Xergiok.
- Choose Goose, Abracadaniel, and the Lollipop Girl suggestively tangled together.
- Reading the above examples, one could make the case that each pairing is a kind of sexual experimentation as well on Finn's part.
- Finn is able to talk to Little Finn by shaking Little Finn at a certain speed. Think about it.
- Jake asks Finn, "What's that in your pants?". Finn's response?
- "Oh no, not again!"
- This episode was absolutely obliterated in UK airings. Like, five minutes have been removed.
- "Davey" asks the banana guard if he wants a body sweep (with a broom). He responds, "I am feeling kind of dirty..." The other banana guard says, "wow, you sure know how to party."
- According to Jesse Moynihan, a writer on this episode, the scene of Lemongrab spraying juice was supposed to resemble ejaculation. Moynihan even said, "I thought it would be funny for him to scream “mommy” while ejaculating juice out of his head."
- The scene when Lemongrab knocks out the rat then eats Tree Trunks's apple pie out of its mouth was apparently so gross that it was cut out when this episode aired in the UK. Not very well though as it cuts most of Ice King's dialogue, and you can see Lemongrab's head tilt up a frame, and he still has pie mush around his mouth.
- Princess Bubblegum yells "BULLGUNK!".
- In the "Lemongrab's Brain" screenshot, you can see some suicidal thoughts.
- The brain screenshot is perhaps one of the greatest examples of this trope ever put into a children's cartoon. It would take a long, long time to read all of the words written on there. The ones that have been transcribed by dedicated fans reveal some of Lemongrab's many disturbing thoughts, including one which possibly indicates extreme gastrointestinal discomfort induced by asparagus.
- Lemonjon peeing... or whatever was happening down there.
- BMO's apron reading "Kiss My Cook", and spanking Finn.
- The word "cook" is cut in many camera shots so only the upper half is the word is seen.
- "Only good babies get sassages."
- Ice King wants to "fix" the story states "Let's polish this piece of—"
- Marshall Lee sings: "I know why you're mad at me. I got demon eyes, looking right through your anatomy."
- The entire back-and-forth exchange between Marshall Lee and Fionna is an homage to suggestive R&B songs.
- Cake's shape when she starts shaking her buns and dancing is... shall we say... racy.
- After Gumball leaves the rooftop, Marshall Lee calls him a 'wad'. Fionna looks at him and replies (while blushing) "A gum-wad?"
- At the end of the "Graveyard Rap", Marshall Lee says the line "Bad little boy, yes I'm bad but not little". Cake looks at him, stating "Nuh uh, boy, what're you thinkin'?"
- The bit at the beginning about the mermaids beaching themselves out of loneliness. Beaching is when whales get stranded on land, and it generally ends in death, so...yeah, they were trying to commit suicide. At the end of the episode, Xergiok attempts suicide himself by walking into the Goblin Kingdom reservoir.
- The extremely revealing outfits some of the background mermaids wear, which cover their nipples and nothing else. Plus the lovely shot of that one's cleavage.
- Xergiok (a male) nursing the baby creatures. Or whatever he was doing...
- Xergiok, who has a Disney Acid Sequence later in the episode, has a bowl of what suspiciously look like psilocybin mushrooms (the mushrooms usually referred to as "shrooms" or "magic mushrooms") in his den.
- The swear that Simon yells in anger at "mother". As in "motherfucker". He even tells Marcy to cover her ears before shouting it. As expected, this scene was cut in UK airings. His other curse is "Bread balls!", Matzo balls.
- Some of the mutants, in addition to deformities such as additional limbs, appear to have male genitals growing out of them.
- Princess Bubblegum makes out with her hand while making suggestive noises.
- Bubblegum seemingly pulls out something that looks very much like a gun and simply walks offscreen. Of course, it's later show to be a tranquilizer dart shooter, but the implication was there.
- After Ice King's spent the entire episode begging for her love, Bubblegum finally acknowledges him, gets on her knees in front of him, and starts to lift up his robe. His reaction is, "Whoa, are you praying to me? I'm kinda into this," but, um...clearly, there was a very different implication at work.
- Finn and Jake wanting to kick Ice King's "boingloings".
- When Finn looks down and says: "Oh my hams... Hold up dude! My body's changing!!"
- This episode was SO heavily butchered in UK airings the final cut is like, five minutes long.
- When Finn killed the dragon, he nicks an artery and causes its blood to spray out. If it wasn't made of pillows it is highly unlikely this scene would have made it.
- Finn tells Rosalinen that where he comes from, pillows are only used for bedding. She replies that "they can be used for that here too" in a just-barely-suggestive-enough-to-make-it-past-the-censors tone, and Finn blushes.
- When trying to make BMO feel better about missing the baby, Bubble says that now he can grow up to be anything he wants, like a "Strapping horse whisperer," or "a sexy hitman," And then even proposes to BMO at the end of the episode. After Finn and Jake pop the bubble, it is revealed that he was actually air that was trapped in the bubble and now that it's popped he is now free forever and doesn't have to hide anymore. That this happens immediately after confessing his love with BMO makes it more than a bit like a Coming-Out Story, even though BMO is technically genderless.
- Bounce House Princess invites Finn to bounce around in her rather suggestively, which Finn politely declines.
- In a Continuity Nod from an earlier episode, The Squirrel from The Duke returns for more revenge.
- (Screaming from a bush after shooting Jake in the head with an arrow) "YOU SON OF A BLEE-BLOP"
- BMO sings an entire 25-second song about being "pregnant" (he really is just holding an egg). This song is also a huge jab at Christianity. It is unknown how this got past the US censors.
- Finn and Jake chasing a girl into a dark alley until she's terrified and crying is disturbing in any context.
- One of the bikini babes giggles as she places her hand on the shaft of the chimney.
- One of the babes', ahem, special area gets very close to Jake's head in one shot while she's pinned him down on the floor, it takes up a lot of the screen.
- When Jake breaks down the wall with an axe, he sticks his head in and strikes a pose similar to Jack Torrance in the Shining - certainly not a kid-appropriate movie.
- The brief song the suitors sing includes the line "Princess all night!"
- While living on Party God's neglected girlfriend, Ice King sows his literal seeds into her (she's an island). The "seeds" are even helpfully labelled! Not to mention planted in an anatomically accurate location.
- Jake trying to shove a VHS tape into BMO's rear, with BMO grunting in pain and complaining that s/he had hurt his butt earlier sledding.
- And then he destroys the tape by ejecting it from his rear.
- Jake and co. feeding banana-flavored milk to the Banana Guard Captain. He was forced into cannibalism.
"Banana Guard Captain: It's...delicious."
- Jake Jr. getting more "juice" from what's clearly a wine box, in reaction to her father and Finn's antics.
- A pharmacist discreetly tells a customer to come back for something stronger. Apparently she's also another type of drug dealer.
- Jake morphs his torso into a car, squats over Finn, sucks him in through the trunk, and spits him out behind the steering wheel. The next shot zooms in on Finn's frozen look of dismay.
- Ice King says no one has touched him in months during PB's recording of her beating the Ice King for information. Unfortunately, CN UK cut out this entire section. Rats.
- Finn out of the blue says "Is PB straight-up naked right now?". This was also cut in UK airings. Bastards!
Season Five part two
- Jake's injuries are referred to as "hickies from the universe."
- "And everyone wants to get with the universe."
- At one point, Finn, while wearing Jake like a suit, slams into a fence crotch first. Later, Jake refers to this as getting hit in the "doggie bag."
- At the end one of the nurses says that it's time for "full body immersion therapy" suggestively, even making kissing noises with her mouth.
- These are the same nurses from "Another Way", who specialize in foot kissing and consider that to be the ONLY WAY to care for injured people. Jake LOVES it; Finn, not so much.
- The episode opens with BMO deleting his files when Finn and Jake aren't looking. The way he starts giggling while getting dumber and dumber from the data loss makes it an obvious reference to drug use.
- When Jake, Finn and BMO are disguised as an SMO and BMO is plugged into an SMO's back, it looks as though they're having sex. Made more apparent by this reaction:
Another SMO: What are you two goofs doing? Goofing?
- PB sniffs the shirt she got from Marceline in a very sensual way when she wakes up.
- Also the picture of her and Marceline in her closest. PB and Marceline are in the closet.
- A box in Maja's house is marked "My privates." Made worse when she calls it "[her] private box."
- On a darker note, the way the Sky Witch treats Crabbit toward the end is very much like Domestic Abuse.
- At first, when PB seems she's going to throw down with the Sky Witch, she rolls up her sleeve. later, we find out PB traded her favorite shirt for Hambo, indicating, PB took her shirt off in front of a stranger, and she's just wearing that turtleneck now.
- PB calls Raggedy Princess "easy" by telling Marceline, "Raggedy Princess can be your new Hambo. She’d do it too. That girl's got like, zero self respect."
- Finn getting excited over Flame Princess beating Ice King up and getting what is an erotic dream of her shooting her flames at Finn's crotch and enjoying it.
- And then he freaks out when he has a dream of Ice King shooting ice at Finn's crotch (not enjoying it) after Ice King beats up FP.
- This is the second episode to imply that Finn is turned on by violence.
- Lemongrab's toilet is apparently a lemon juicer. Try to figure out how that works.
- According to the promo art by Steve Wolfhard, incest is not taboo in Castle Lemongrab. Two of the lemon brothers can be seen making out with each other in the background of this drawing. Either incest is not taboo in Castle Lemongrab, or these two lemon brothers were just very drunk at the time. Either interpretation is kind of disturbing.
- In the same drawing, all of the lemon people are very clearly intoxicated. In the beginning of "Too Old," several of them are, as well.
- According to a little nametag in a Freeze-Frame Bonus, one of the lemon children at the dinner table is named "Duke Lemon Suck."
- Similar to what happened in "Frost & Fire", Finn gets aroused when he sees Flame Princess acting aggressive and domineering towards her father.
- Princess Bubblegum makes Shoku a new arm, and when Shoku leaves, Bubblegum expresses disappointment over not getting to do "two-armed things" with her.
- The entire episode is Finn-on-Slime Princess action. Seriously.
Slime Princess: WRAP THOSE GORGEOUS PYTHONS AROUND ME!
- "Maybe later we can get Do Not Disturb!"
- The ending where the female Banana guard marches Banana Man off to jail, pinching his butt all the way, after Finn exposed him to fight a giant reptile Bubblegum.
- The "TUG ME" candy heart makes another appearance.
- Jake made a solo pornographic tape for Lady Rainicorn. At her request.
- More specifically, he made two. The first involves Jake lying on a rug in front of a fire, speaking suggestively. In the second, he's wearing a towel, calling himself a dirty dog, and then ripping the towel off. When he does, the shot not-coincidentally happens to be framed so that his tail is seen dangling between his legs. Meanwhile, outside the tape, in the real world, Lady Rainicorn is screaming with embarrassment and Finn is covering his eyes in horror.
- The demon Keeoth seems really, really intent on having someone beat him up.
- All of Cherry Cream Soda's complaints suggest she is sexually frustrated with her husband.
- "I am a Cherry Cream Soda. And I have needs just the same as any other Cherry Cream Soda."
- This added by the statement of how she misses sleeping with him. It looks like she means since he stays up all night trying to write his book but with the sexually frustrated undertones it sounds like something else.
- Heck this one doesn't seem to have gotten past the Radar for long, as a new version has her saying "I miss you at night" instead.
- She even dresses as a French maid (including the accent) to try to entice him! Later she says she had a great night after dancing.
- Cherry Cream Soda gets upset when she hears her husband state he was looking through the bushes in a way that suggests he has done that before.
- Tree Trunks' mother calling Mr. Pig a "saucy fine bologna factory," with Tree Trunks being very uncomfortable with this Double Entendre, which seems as cannibalistic as it is sexual.
- Also Tree Trunks' mother says she'd like "to open up Mr. Pig's hood and see how the bologna gets made".
- The episode ends with one of the better possible examples in this whole series. Apparently, Tree Trunks has an exhibitionism fetish.
*Princess Bubblegum is watching everyone through the security cameras in her jail*
Tree Trunks: Looks like we got the whole place to ourselves.. if you know what I'm saying.
Mr. Pig: Wait, don't you think there might be cameras down here?
Tree Trunks: I hope so.
Princess Bubblegum: (shocked face)
- Finn calls back to the lady armor that appeared in "Blood Under the Skin" by using his arms to form a suggestive shape while Sexophone plays in the background.
- "He's a huge ding-wad... Just the worst..."
- The episode is brimming with references to male gonads. Rattleballs is a gumball machine with gumballs visibly stored in his lower torso; he coughs because one of his gumballs was lodged in his body during a horseback riding accident years before; he throws eggs (a slang term for male gonads in some languages) at Finn during their training exercise; and a flashback shows stone creatures robbing a "rocks" store.
- "I get better finger action this way."
- LSP sitting at a bar discussing her past romance certainly counts.
- Also, LSP throwing a Molotov cocktail is not something that usually would make it past the censors in a kid's cartoon.
- At the end of the episode, Princess Bubblegum goes to a bar and pours herself a drink. The episode ends before she drinks it, though.
- Lemonhope is completely naked after running away.
- As is Lemongrab during one of the dream sequences, he is also eating a cow alive.
- At one point Lemonhope falls asleep on a pirate ship, whilst sucking a lemon! Where do I even begin?
- An example that didn't get past: Jordan the fairy was originally not wearing underwear when Finn pantsed him. (Note that this ENTIRE scene, along with Jordan getting decapitated, was removed in the UK.)
"Escape From The Citadel"
- Tree Trunks was about to ask Mr. Pig for something that started with the letter D, the implication was divorce (since Tree Trunks looks at her wedding ring), but Word of God states they'll never tell, though they like to think dog.
- The Guardian blood is sticky white stuff.
- Which makes a baby out of the Lich.
- All you really need to know about this episode is that Finn's flower arm is his penis.
- Possibly highlighted most explicitly when he says he wants to make out with as many girls as possible because it might make his flower "feel good." Cut to Breezy, who's fondling his flower eagerly.
- There was apparently a G Rated Sex scene between Finn and LSP. Finn pecked LSP on the lips, but LSP wanted to swim in the "deep end," not the "kiddie pool." Cut to a while later with the two of them in separate sleeping bags, Finn looking equally contemplative and traumatized.
- Finn is thus both figuratively and literally deflowered before regaining his arm.
- Breezy calls herself a virgin queen bee and asks Finn to be her drone, which is odd, yet in character for Cartoon Network's standards and practices department, as an earlier episode ("City of Thieves") had to have the line "We're virgins" changed to "We're Virgin Islands" because it was considered objectionable.
- The UK didn't even freaking AIR this episode.
- Jake offers to pay to watch a couple do things. At night. In their bed.
- When the Ice King burns everybody's notes in a cauldron, it creates a gas that puts everybody in a euphoric state before they pass out.
- Peanut Princess won't give Muscle Princess any of her "nut butter". She's talking about peanut butter, but it's also a synonym for semen.
- Princess Bubblegum's name on Marceline's cell phone is "P Bubs".
- At one point Marcelline tells LSP to "Calm your lumps" could be a reference to the phrase "Calm your tits".
- Wyatt cant get enough of Tree Trunks' pies, with pies being an obvious sexual metaphor.
- Finn uses the same "hot buns" line from the first episode and is met with Mr. Pig getting outraged and hitting him, before leading Tree Trunks away from the party.
- After Finn and Princess Bubblegum lose a game of musical chairs, the candy people force the two into a closet to have some "heavenly thoughts".
- The scene with Bounce House Princess and the porcupine plays out uncomfortably similar to a home invasion and rape.
- Martin is seen eating a bird egg. And when Finn notices him, Martin spits out feathers. He was eating a live bird hatchling.
- It is mentioned that the Ice King moisturizes with "penguin milk", but penguins are birds, not mammals, and therefore do not produce milk. Makes you wonder what the Ice King is really rubbing on his skin... Although it might have been crop milk, which penguins do produce.
- A demon threateningly yells out "I'll skull-cup you!"
"Marceline the Vampire Queen"
- While interrogating Marceline for a vampire-related crime, he basically tells her that her argument is a pile of shit.
Jake: You think I'm buyin' that boom-boom mountain?!
- Marceline being forcibly changed into a vampire has a very rape like quality to it. Though that is nothing new in the Vampire mythos.
- Almost every line the Ice King says about/towards The Empress is charged with sexual undertones.
- Finn kicks the Vampire King on the crotch (while covered by Marceline's head in the foreground). Several times. The next time the VK speaks, he does so in a VERY high pitched voice.
- One of the books in the library is titled "Butt Stuff".
- Before inserting the center gem into the Enchiridion
Farmworld Finn: The final hole is mine... to put my thing in!
- Jake extends his nose while sniffing for mushrooms. When he turns toward Finn, his elongated nose resembles an erection.
- Huntress Wizard is drawn to the sound of Finn's flute music... which he is playing while bathing nude in a river. Although the water is drawn opaque so we can't see anything inappropriate, she probably got a good look at his privates when she jumped in the river herself. Finn also warns Huntress Wizard that he is an especially agile fighter when nude.
- When HW begins explaining her reason for not acting on her feelings for Finn, she starts with "hard meat don't get eat." While she meant that she doesn't want to get soft-hearted, it can give off a different vibe due to "meat" being a certain euphemism for another thing...
- At the end of the episode, after Jake bumps the swan boat into the Bottomless Pit of Love, a disappointed Jake mentions, "That's where the pups came from."
- After meeting with Betty, Ice King tells Life-Giving Magus that a woman "touched him".
Mini Episode ("The Wand" A.K.A. "Let's Work Together")
- Finn insults a magic wand by saying, "I heard you pay a robot to rub your tummy for you!"
- When said wand summons Lumpy Space Princess from its innards.
LSP: Oh my glob, Melissa! I think it's kicking in!