If there is one thing all we tropers know, it is that some shows are filled to the brim with epic. Adventure Time is one such show. This is a list of some of the most awesome moments in the show.
open/close all folders
- The fact that this show (along with Regular Show and The Amazing World of Gumball) saved Cartoon Network from its Network Decay of airing live-action shows and ushered in a new era of original programming...after being rejected twice by Nickelodeon.
- Finn's love of becoming The Hero and doing good and bringing justice to Ooo borders on yandere. In a good way.
- When Finn saves Princess Bubblegum in the original short.
- The music behind that scene. There needs to be a full version of that made.
- "MY HAT! IS! AAAAWESOOOOOME!!!"
- The music behind that scene. There needs to be a full version of that made.
- Finn faces things that would make grown men run and he does it while he's 13.
- In the comic, THE JAKESUIT MAKES A COMEBACK!
- Thomas Herpich is a writer on Adventure Time, whose episodes include many of the ones with LGBT subtext- Princess Cookie, You Made Me, All Your Fault, and The Hard Easy are some of them. He actually got away with having an overtly homosexual character in "BMO Lost-" Bubble, who was portrayed in a sympatheitic and likable way. The whole episode was also framed like a coming out story for Bubble. The fact that Herpich got away with this is a Crowning Moment of Awesome in its own right, and certainly groundbreaking for a children's show. Also doubles as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Simon Petrikof. The man has lost the love of his life, his reputation, his friends, his sanity, his humanity, to a crown that has kept him alive for centuries of mental degradation in a post-apocalypse Mind Screw of a world, turned his pet name into a disturbing obsession,and warped his personality. And yet he still retains some sanity in his mind throughout the nearly 1000 years. Keep in mind, the Crown caused Alt!Finn to completely lose it in minutes. That man is strong. To be fair to Finn, however, he is only thirteen years old - Simon has the advantage of being more than twice Finn's age and, as a professor, would have a much more orderly mind.
- Plus the fact that he was able to keep a running, coherent (at least until the very end) video journal of his transformation, before his mind was too far gone for him to continue.
- Meta-example: A newspaper article◊ addresses Adventure Time, along with some other cartoons, as progressive for the canon Bubbline relationshipnote - which also outs Marcy as canonically bisexual, as she had dated a boy before.
- Princess Bubblegum gets one every other episode she appears in.
"Slumber Party Panic"
- The fight scene in Slumber Party Panic. "Smash the pinatas!"
- Princess Bubblegum successfully raising the dead.
- From "The Enchiridion!":
- Finn refusing to slay the unaligned ant. "Never... never... NEVEEEEER!!!"
- Jake putting the evil gnomes back in the lava pit Finn rescued them from after they trick Finn into believing that he's responsible for the death of a bunch of old ladies.
- Jake taking out Ricardio using one of his jowls.
- Lady Rainicorn rescuing Finn. It shows she's not just a girly toy.
- Finn setting up a way to fix every problem that's suddenly cropped up.
- The end of "Evicted!" when Finn and Jake fight Marceline.
- "Get ready for an upper-cut, you DOG!!!"
- Finn's gonna do his damnest to punish every thief he runs into upon first entering the City of Thieves.
- Villainous awesome: Penny somehow stealing Finn's clothes while he's wearing them without being noticed.
- Finn knocking himself unconscious in order to get to the bottom of the ocean to save Jake.
- The spirits coming out at the end to give a Shut Up, Hannibal! to Fear Feaster, reassuring Finn that everyone has flaws and just because he's afraid of the ocean doesn't make him any less great a hero. Also a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Princess Bubblegum saving Finn and Jake at the end of Dungeon. "Get on my swan!"
- Finn faking his death in "What Have You Done?" The Ice King actually bought this, and let out the pained howls that PB needed to cure the kingdom.
- Also counts as a Heartwarming Moment for the Ice King.
- BILLY! HE'S THE GREATEST WARRIOR EVER! A HERO OF RENOWN! WHO SLAYED AN EVIL OCEAN? WHO CAST THE LICH KING DOWN? BILLY!
- AND THAT TIME THE EVIL FIRE COUNT CAPTURED A MAIDEN FAIR, HE SAVED HER WITH SUCH BRAVERY, SHE OFFERED HIM HER HAIR! BILLY!
- ALSO, HE FOUGHT A BEAR!
- This is worth even more mention by the fact he beat the Lich King. Word of God says the Lich King is an evil so terrible and so powerful that Ice King and even Marceline will run for the hills before him and the trailer setting up his arrival is building him up to be the Ultimate Evil. Billy beat him. Into a tree.
- Also, despite the paraphrasing, it means that literally, he didn't use a sealing ritual, or weaken him, he punched him so hard and so much he was sealed in amber from the sheer pummeling.
- And now it seems The Lich has killed Billy. Sad, but that means even the Lich knew Billy would just clobber him again, given the chance.
- AND THAT TIME THE EVIL FIRE COUNT CAPTURED A MAIDEN FAIR, HE SAVED HER WITH SUCH BRAVERY, SHE OFFERED HIM HER HAIR! BILLY!
"It Came from the Nightosphere"
- Marceline's father is going around and, y'know devouring souls. Then he comes across Gunter. Not only does he ask politely for this "Dark One"'s soul, Gunter slaps him away. Successfully.
- In the same episode, Finn takes down Marceline's Dad by stabbing him in the chest while he was distracted with a Heartwarming Moment, the sends him back to where he came from with the same ritual that summoned him.
Finn: I'll see you in the nightosphere, ya sick freak.
- Jake trying to lure the horse with classical music in "The Eyes". It didn't work, but he said something along the lines of "Beethoven's not working on you? Well, HOW ABOUT SOME MOZART?!" complete with Jake starting to play the viola furiously, and it was awesome.
- For music lovers, this scene in and of itself is awesome due to the fact that even though the Apocalypse has come and gone; Beethoven, Mozart, and Wagner are all still being played.
- Jake defeating a group of evil gnomes with pure raving energy.
- "No more games... No... more... PAJAMAS!!!"
- Jake breaking out of his mindless pacifism and saving Finn from the crystallized Tree Trunks.
- In "To Cut a Woman's Hair", Finn tries to get Princess Bubblegum's hair. How does he do this? TAKING HER TO THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS, CUTTING DOWN TREES FOR TABLES/CHAIRS SO THEY CAN HAVE A SPAGHETTI DINNER. That's right. Finn just made Princess Bubblegum an Italian dinner in the woods by just cutting down trees and using a fireplace.
- He was twelve during that episode, which makes it even awesomer.
- When Finn FINALLY revealed his hair. That was pretty awesome. And it's blond!
- Finn destroying a black hole with a 4th-dimensional sword in "The Real You". It's almost too awesome to describe.
Jake: Finn! Don't do anything stupid!Finn: I can't help it, man! I'm all about stupid! *Jumps into the black hole with a Battle Cry*
- The fact that all of it was just a Batman Gambit made by Smart!Finn just to get a kiss from the Princess made it all the more awesome.
- In "Mystery Train", when it's revealed that the conductor did it, Finn chases him across several train cars by leaping across after they had been detached from the train.
- Jake's gambit through the entire episode deserves mention.
- Finn gets on in "The Limit". Jake's on the verge of death from overstretching himself and wasted his wish to get the ancient psychic tandem war elephant they'd gone through the entire maze for. Finn's left with the option of letting Jake die or give up on getting what he wants. What does he do? Wish up the war elephant and have it wish for everyone to be healed and restored. Counts because he actually did something pretty clever.
- Not to mention his sheer confidence.
Elephant: Finn the human! Are you worthy to command me?Finn: You know I am. 'Cause you're PSYCHIC!
- Not to mention his sheer confidence.
- While the majority of the two-parter is pretty much constantly scary, there is indeed a couple moments of this; Finn ripping the top half of The Lich's head off with a sweater after resisting his attempt to Mind Rape him, and
- Lich: Aren't you cold?
- The Ice King freezing PB!Lich solid come to mind.
"Conquest of Cuteness" "Morituri Te Salutamus"
- Finn faking out the Fight King in "Morituri Te Salutamus"
- In "Memory Of A Memory" Finn doing something smart and using his memories to show Marceline the memory that her Jerkass ex-boyfriend Ash tricked him and Jake into stealing. This is directly followed by Finn, Marceline, and Jake beating up Ash for what he did to Marceline.
- Even Lemongrab gets a quick one in Too Young. After basically spending a whole episode getting mocked and kicked around, he ends up falling head-first out of the window of a tall tower, and slams his whole head into the ground so hard he has to pry himself out of the hole. And he wasn't even hurt at all.
- You know how candy people explode when they get scared? Apparently, according to Patrick Seery (a production assistant on the show,) it's physically impossible for LG to do so. That's how strong his skin is. It's literally impossible for him to explode.
- In "Still", Finn and Jake gain the power over butterflies. It sounds less badass than it is.
- In "Wizard Battle", there are many good moments, but one is very notable for Finn.
- Ice King managing to survive down to the final three using only his mastery of nunchaku to get by was pretty badass as wellnote .
- "Adventure Time with Fiona and Cake". Alright, the ending wasn't so good, but you have to give Ice King credit, that was an epic piece of fanfiction.
- Fionna's speech about knowing who she is and not needing a man to define her. Who knew Ice King was capable of writing such a good moral for young female viewers?
- When Marceline sings at the beginning of "What Was Missing", while Finn, Jake, and PB hang their mouths open.
Sorry I don't treat you like a goddess / Is that what you want me to do? / Sorry I don't treat you like you're perfect / like all your little loyal subjects do...
- And Finn's song is just as awesome, which starts out depressing then becomes uplifting.
- In "The Creeps", Finn escapes a ghost by busting through a solid wall.
- Susan helping Finn and Jake battle the lub glubs, despite the fact that the monsters terrify her.
- In "No One Can Hear You", Finn's legs get smashed by a deer. His reaction? He simply gives a wince of pain and goes: "Whatever."
- Not to mention he managed to run around, stand up and take on the deer with his legs still broken.
- (cue rock music) "BIG LIVER! BIG LIVER, YEAH!!"
- CN decided that "Thank You" was so good that they aired a preview in a movie theater so it could be Oscar worthy. And it qualified. That's an MOA for the entire Adventure Time crew if there ever was one.
- Finn attempts to deliver a fake message to Marceline via paper airplane, claiming that it would do a number of elaborate tricks and cook some eggs before landing in the correct spot. The result was the airplane successfully maneuvering through the housing, opening the fridge, grabbing three eggs, breaking two and starting to cook one before knocking the pan onto the floor, then flying upstairs into a trash can. The plan may have failed, but it was still impressive.
- "Another Way" is pretty much filled to the brim with this. One moment that comes to mind is when Finn plows his way through an acidic river full of electric eels, Moses-styles. And he does it all on a broken foot.
Finn: MY way!!!
- Again, "Dad's Dungeon" has much of this, but one moment that stood out was when Finn slayed the Eldritch Abomination while Jake beatboxed to a remix of Joshua's pre-recorded messages. It. Was. Glorious.
- Wherever you stand on Finn's romantic situation, you have to admit that in "Incendium", Finn's anger in the name of Princess Bubblegum was awesome. He only rises from his Heroic B.S.O.D. after his pictures of her were burned, and vowed to kill whoever did it, and then proceeds to freaking shatter a window by kicking it!
- "If anyone tries to hurt Finn, I will KILL them!"
"Hot to the Touch" "Five Short Graybles"
- "SUPER ULTIMATE HIGH-FIVE, GO!!!"
- PB making a perfect sandwich complete with awesome background music playing along.
- Finn changing into a demon in "Daddy's Little Monster". As nightmarish as it was, it was still pretty cool.
- The fact that he could resist the amulet's pure Chaotic Evil long enough to toss Marceline and Jake safely out of the Nightosphere goes quite a way to showing how much of a hero he really is.
- In what could possibly also count as a Heartwarming Moment, Finn's final hug-battle against the alpha hug-wolf.
- While the way he does so is funny, Finn managing to will himself not to reveal the plan to defeat Goliad to her despite her trying with all her might to read his mind.
- Stormo's Big Damn Heroes moment. He has absolutely no hesitation in taking on Goliad, knowing he'll probably end up trapped with her in a mental duel for eternity.
- Goliad's creepy-awesome, super-logical speech as she kills that bee. Came right out of nowhere, and was the perfect Establishing Character Moment for who is perhaps one of the creepiest villains we've seen in the show.
- Finn back riding a spirit in "Beyond this Earthly Realm" and the whole scene with putting the spirits in the hole.
- In "Princess Cookie," Baby Snaps is depressed because he can't be a princess. After taking hostages, running from the guards, and trying to commit suicide, he ends up in a mental hospital. He is presented with a crown from the Grasslands. Jake puts it on PC's head... and all of the other patients in the hospital smile and bow down to Princess Cookie, who grins. The episode ends. An awesome/heartwarming ending if there ever was one.
- Finn gets an Offscreen Moment of Awesome when he takes out Baby Snaps' Chocolate Chips in less than ninety seconds.
- The in-universe game "Card Wars". Imagine mixing Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic: The Gathering with Farmville and the trademark weirdness of Adventure Time, and the results are incredible. To give a bit of perspective, a cavalry charge of horsemen made entirely out of sentient corn and aided by a floating brain that rains blood is defeated by a hungry pig. Not a magical warrior pig, just a pig.
- And one for the writers for actually managing to make the damn thing look and feel like a real, understandable card game. Rules were somewhat consistent, themes were kept up and strategies were sound. There was no hint of shallow parody. Some love went into this episode.
- Not to mention how awesome and funny a particularly nonthreatening phrase can be; "I floop the pig."
- Finn smacks the shows version of a God with a chair in "Sons of Mars".
- Soon after, Finn and Jake meteor down to Ooo towards Magic Man's house. Just before Finn and Jake surface, Finn punches him square in the face. At relativistic speed.
- The Emperor of Mars, aka Abraham Lincoln, stares Death in the face not to cheat him, but to offer himself to him to make amends for killing Jake.
- Bubblegum calling Jake out on thinking she's interested in "a petty love triangle" with Finn and Flame Princess, when really she's concerned about both of their safeties.
- Finn jumping down the hole to save Flame Princess without a second thought, and giving her his oxygen so that she could continue to burn, knowing that he would probably suffocate.
- In "King Worm", Finn defeating the title character by opening his fear vault and releasing several Call Backs in order to make him weak.
- Princess Bubblegum effortlessly beating the ever-loving crap out of Ricardio.
Ricardio: I just wanted to impress you!Bubblegum: You didn't. [pounds his face with his own foot] Get out of my sight.
Bubblegum: You think we're intellectual equals?! It only took me seconds to get you off your guard! And this "body" you designed is self-congratulatory garbage! See, I know a thing or two about building a body out of biomass, [Detaching leg] and you don't... leave your heart exposed!
- While leveling a very nice "The Reason You Suck" Speech at him before ripping his arm and leg off, then beating him with his own leg.
- Then she says that she carried Finn, Jake and Lady Raincorn all the way back from the Ice Kingdom to her castle.
- And the Ice King. Who was still conscious. Which meant she had to put up with him talking for two days straight! (Also, she whipped up a new heart for him in fifteen minutes.)
- Ricardio's revamped design, with a new, more expressive, creepier face is quite epic indeed. Compare his appearance in season 1 to his appearance now. The animation and drawing has improved substantially!
- It was implied that Lemongrab gets into the Candy Castle through a small window, WAAAY up high, by climbing up the smooth walls of the castle itself. No, we don't know how he does it yet. But it is kind of awesome that he would go to the trouble of climbing up the walls of a freaking castle just to do whatever it is he does.
- A little one. Remember how a year ago, Lemongrab sent Starchy to the dungeon because the little guy had the gall to ask him who he was talking to? In "You Made Me!", Lemongrab flips out and demands that Princess Bubblegum give him some candy people to rule over in his empty, citizen-less castle. How does Starchy respond to LG's freakout? "In your dreams, you freak!"
- Finn Taking The Swordblast for Princess Bubblegum. He jumps down on an electrified floor, charges through a glass wall, and then takes a blast from Lemongrab's sword.
- Castle Lemongrab itself is pretty freaking badass, too. It's a massive stone castle WAAAY up high on a mountain. It's up so high, it appears to be floating in the clouds. Leading up to it are a series of thin, precarious-looking rope bridges.
- The music in "You Made Me" is one of the single best episodic scores for an episode of Adventure Time. It perfectly crafts a sense of instability and creepiness, while also having moments that sound tender but still strange. In particular, the scenes where A) Lemongrab cries and falls from the window, B) the Pup Gang make the earl angry, C) Princess Bubblegum gets the idea to make a second earl, and D) Lemongrab meets Lemongrab, all have striking and memorable music. Just close your eyes and listen.
- Finn having the guts to kiss the Mega-Frog on the lips to restore him to his original form as Prince Huge. Because he's "comfortable with himself like that."
- The Sailor Moon-esque transformation sequence of the prince was quite lovely and epic, as well.
- Jonathan Katz as the Elder. I will repeat that.... Dr. Fucking Katz himself on Adventure Time. This troper replayed that scene 5 times in a row!
- While it would be an exaggeration to claim that the Ice King is particularly awesome in this episode, he's acting far more dignified that we've come to expect from him. He convinces Gunther to give up a powerful amulet just by telling her firmly to do so, after somehow surviving an encounter with three powerful wizards. And he doesn't brag about either of these things.
- Becomes hilarious when you realize he doesn't brag because he's read Dawgzone's book and he's trying to be mysterious.
- Simon was the one that found and unearth the Enchiridum before the Great Mushroom war.
- The fact that Simon Wrote his letters to Marceline explaining his tragic downfall and why he left, in rhyme. The old coot is a lyricist.
Season 5 part one
"Finn the Human"
- In Finn's Universe, Simon sacrificed himself to stop the end of the world by freezing the nuke that would have done everyone in, mere inches from hitting the ground.
- Subtle moment of awesome for the Ice King by proxy. In "Finn the Human"/"Jake the Dog", Finn wore the crown and became full-fledged insane and nightmarish berserker within a few hours. Simon must have had a very strong mind to resist that and still have some (albeit very minuscule) sanity after centuries without fully succumbing to it.
- Fridge Awesome: In Simon and Marcy, the "Marceline-era Simon" reveals that he's a 47-year old man. When he showed the crown to his fiancee, he looked in his twenties. Simon resisted his crown and managed to retain his personality for over 20 years.
- Finn Mertens accepting the ice crown to protect his family and those he cares about. Overcoming the crown's effect on multiple occasions when people he cared about were in trouble. And when he turned on the Destiny gang immediately neutralizing what were the main villains for the first half of the two parter.
- Jeremy Shada's voice acting in both episodes, but especially in "Jake the Dog," when he's wearing the ice crown and speaking in a voice that is very similar to the Ice King's own voice. Just... words can't properly describe how incredible his performance was in the episode. He was just 15 when the episode aired, but his voice had INCREDIBLE professionalism. Overall... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.
- While Jake was taking time deciding his wish, he spends it by striking up a friendship with P and the Cosmic Space Owl, eventually becoming bros by the end of the episode. It ends up being crucial because P takes the time to warn him about the specifics that the Literal Genie nature of his wishes are actually out of his control and aids in wording things so Jake can screw over The Lich. The best part is that Jake took The Lich's wish and trapped him in another world without a way out.
- What makes Jake's moment truly sink in is when you realize that the Lich was for the first time ever screwed over completely. Previously, the Lich had proven himself competent enough to bounce back from failure almost virtually unscathed. Now, for the first time ever, Jake put The Lich in a situation that the Lich could not take advantage of... until the next season, at least.
- Jake and Lady's puppies doing some sort of Fusion Dance and beating the crap out of the foxes attacking Jake.
- "Davey" opens with Finn saving some candy people from a huge dragon by slicing the beast in half lengthwise.
- The entire premise of "Mystery Dungeon" is Ice King, Lemongrab, Tree Trunks, NEPTR, and Shelby working together to get through a dungeon.
- Lemongrab punching out the giant mouse. Nobody takes Lemongrab's pie, apparently.
- Tree Trunks delivering a verbal smackdown to Lemongrab, scolding him and telling him he needs to start being nice to the others, who responds by backing down and apologizing. Considering this is a character whose typical reaction to being challenged is to scream and freak out, this is an awesome moment for Tree Trunks.
- For the first time in the series, Lemongrab is put into a situation where his anger and violent tendencies are actually completely justified. Seeing him KO the Ice King with the Sound Sword was pretty awesome, seeing as how, for once, the victim of Lemongrab's assholeishness had it coming.
- NEPTR utterly destroying an obstacle that was meant for BMO. And how does he do this? By throwing a pie at it.
- The Lemongrabs creating dozens of children for themselves and proving themselves to be a lot smarter than we originally assumed.
- Lemonjon as a character is awesome. He's as big as a castle and is an enormous mix of what can only be described as half-Lemongrab, and half-Ent. The perspective drawings of Lemonjon walking to the Candy Castle are beautiful, as we see him looking down. Props to Thomas Herpich and Steve Wolfhard on this gorgeous sequence.
- Lemonjon's final speech, and his Dying Moment of Awesome: "Whoa, hold the phone. What is this powerful new juice coursing thrumpst my core source? The juice aches. Is this the rumored ache of feeling? The feeling of caring unknown to lemons? New thoughts emerge... If I act, the candy people will suffer; if I don't, the lemon people will suffer... The greater good demands but one course only! That I dissolve the bonds uniting me and become component to all!"
- The Lemongrabs learning empathy and how to care about people. That in itself was pretty awesome, also heartwarming.
- The Lemongrabs devising a completely flawless plan to take over the Candy Kingdom. Their plan was foiled only by an even bigger (no pun intended) moment of awesome, their son Lemonjon discovering compassion. Seriously, through all their stupidity, you have to give the LGs props on actually coming up with a perfect plan to conquer the Candy Kingdom and have it almost work (only to be foiled by totally unforeseeable circumstances.)
- "Destiny made me what I am, but it was fate that kept me through the dark." - Lemongrab's brain.
- A scene so inherently awesome it could send a tingle down one's spine. The Lemongrabs have finished giving their speech to the Lemon Children, who are all cheering loudly at the idea of the earls conquering the world and stealing its candy. The earls begin shouting, "Now, GO, young Lemonjon! GO, GO, GO! GO, GO, GO!" They keep triumphantly chanting this while punching the air, as Lemonjon slowly rises up, straining with the effort of lifting up his body, which is actually Lemon Castle itself.
- The Gumball Guardian's laser beam.
- Fionna beating the crap out of Marshal Lee in "Bad Little Boy" for toying with her emotions.
Fionna: I-I get that you flirt with me all the time, and it's funny or whatever, but you're doing that now?! [Fionna's voice begins to break and starts to tear up.] What are you trying to do to my head? You think I've got some little crush on you? Well, for however long we've got left... FOR ONCE, DROP IT, YOU FREAK!
- Seeing Flame Princess clean house in the dungeon and go mad with power in "Vault of Bones".
- Flame Princess adopting Finn's method of battle (which she considered boring) so not to burn him when he's captured.
- Xergiok's Disney Acid Sequence in "The Great Birdman" was pretty awesome both musically and visually.
- Simon fighting against the effects of the crown long enough to protect Marcy from some radioactive creatures, all while singing the theme song to Cheers.
- Earlier, in the Soupery, just when it looks like Simon is going to break his promise to Marcy, he instead bludgeons one of the Nuclear Nasties with the Crown itself.
- Admit it, scary or not, Simon was Crazy Awesome in Ice King mode.
- How about the fact that Beemo commands an army of Bikini babes? Makes you wonder what he does in his spare time...
- Peppermint Butler: You should have given him to ME! *slap*
- In a way, Princess Bubblegum bluntly describing Braco's infatuation with her as coming from "overvaluing an imagined relationship with me".
- Ice King's battle with the Party God, including him summoning a giant ice sword, freezing a cloud so it crashed onto the Party God's head, and then throwing him into space until he's only a twinkle in the sky.
- The entire operation, from the Flying Lettuce Brothers impersonating the warden, Tiffany blowing up the vault door, and Jake maneuvering the Hall of 1000 Deaths.
- Jake going Papa Wolf on his gang when they betray him.
- In a twisted way, it is pretty impressive that Lemongrab's mouth is so big and his body so flexible that he actually had the ability and capacity to shove the other Lemongrab inside of him.
- That Princess Bubblegum actually goes on a quest. We've only seen her do this sort of thing a couple of times before, but this is pretty much the first time we see her so active.
- Bubblegum's escape from 'Ron James's Spell Palace', particularly as she doesn't take the easy way down (read: Jake) but rolls and runs her way out of a four story drop.
- Either Abracadaniel for actually challenging Princess Bubblegum to an 'honorable prison stabbing to the death' (a Knife Fight) or Peebles taking all of 12 seconds to blind, disarm, and knock him to the ground.
Season 5 part two
- Finn getting the top of his dunked in lava and still refusing to give in. Hardcore.
- This is enough for Jake to admit defeat and let Finn go. The first thing he does after regaining his body and donning Jake Suit again? Jump right into the said volcano.
- The chase scene in the Mo Factory.
- Finn meeting another human, who somehow survived using cybernetics and artificial parts. He even remarked that only his skin was human.
- "I am not non-mo. I am BMO!"
- Marceline beating the Crabbit.
- Bubblegum's Sherlock Scan.
- Bubblegum's speech about forming a fist in your brain to punch away sleepytimes.
- Flame Princess and Ice King's various scraps throughout the episode. Especially the final one, which involves full powered Flame Princess and Ice King using a mountain as a walking weapon.
- Lemongrab 2 somehow survived being eaten. Many fans were amazed and pleased by this revelation.
- And despite his damaged, malnourished condition, or perhaps because of it, defying Lemongrab at various times, like considering the "dinner act" acceptable and giving food to the starving lemon child. He even takes advantage of Lemongrab being entranced by Lemon Hope's flute playing to release Hope, Finn and Bubblegum from the dungeon, likely knowing he'd either suffer more or be entirely consumed.
- Lemongrab 2 crawling out of Lemongrab's stomach, freeing all of the children, and giving them defiant words of hope before he's finally consumed again. Doubles as a Tearjerker.
LEMONBROTHERS STOP ! STOP AND LISTEN! It has cost me much but I have learned that Lemon need not squeeze lemon to survive. Lemonhope! Go forth! Grow strong and return for us!
- Flame Princess taking over the Fire Kingdom with CINNAMON BUN of all people and giving her old man a taste of what it's like to be locked up.
Flame King: Right, can you believe this nonsense? Once I get outta here, I'm gonna ground you for real. No snacks, no friends, no popular music.Flame Princess: You never let me have any of those things! You were a selfish king and a bad parent!Flame King: But I did it for you, honey—for you not to overthrow me like you just did.Flame Princess: You belong in that lamp! And if you don't settle down, you'll have to answer to Cinnamon Bun!
- BMO's Skateboard trick gets Awesomer and Awesomer as more things get thrown into the slow-mo bubble.
- Until it winds up looking like this.◊ New page-image?
- Jake successfully gets his sandwich back by making himself sad.
- Finn, Jake, BMO, and Banana Man use their fixed up truck to fight a giant lizard monster.
- Jake, even with some of his blood stolen and stuck in a pit, doesn't really lose his cool at all, much to Keeoth's growing frustration.
- Finn kills Keeoth the demon by tricking him into inhaling a blessed sword made of frozen grape juice. Thinking it was made of blood, Keeoth inhales it and explodes.
- Let us rephrase this: Finn kills a powerful, evil demon by being smart.
- What's more? The sword was blessed by Shelby
- Let us rephrase this: Finn kills a powerful, evil demon by being smart.
- JOSHUA. He pretty much made Keeoth his bitch, and he made it look easy. Highlights include him drinking holy water so the demon couldn't suck out his blood and him taking the sword Keeoth created himself to try to escape!
- Root Beer Guy, an average candy person, proves that he's more competent than the banana guards when he solves the case of Princess Bubblegum's kidnapping. It turns out that the whole thing was a test to see how well the banana guards can solve cases. The banana guards hadn't even noticed Bubblegum was gone. As a reward for his competence, Root Beer Guy was made the captain of the banana guards and now his life is so much better.
- Tree Trunks calling out Princess Bubblegum for taking over her wedding then ruining it by arresting the King of Ooo. Calling PB a tyrant was harsh, but she still had a point considering PB broke into the King's blimp, destroyed it, arrested him, and tried to sweep her own wrongdoings under the rug.
- Finn's use of the titular sword through out the episode. He gets so good at it that he's able to perfectly cut his face into something as small as a price tag.
- Finn taking down a giant grass water-bear by making the blade spin like a saw.
- Finn accepting the curse of the grass sword, and then gaining the ability to "sheath" the sword by turning it into grass wrapped around his arm, and then back to a blade.
- Rattleballs himself is just made of this. He's able to school Finn at swordplay.
- Cinnamon Bun, FULL STOP. He's seemingly gotten smarter over his time in the Fire Kingdom, and ends up saving Finn and Flame Princess more than once during the episode. He also saves FP from Finn's misguided attempts at flirting, and at the end of the episode, he gives a speech of why FP's a great ruler, and reveals that he's in love with FP. Oh, and he taught a Fire Wolf to fly.
- Simon punching out Ash and stealing his magic carpet.
- Betty is pretty much awesome incarnate in this episode.
Betty: Surprise!PUNCH!Betty: Tranch.
- Her fiance has just gone crazy, which is bad enough. Then she runs into a portal from the future created by her fiance. Within seconds, she learns that he'll go crazy, she'll leave him, and there's nothing either of them can do to change it. Her response? Leave Simon for Future Simon by jumping into the portal. She changed her entire life on the dime because she loves him that much.
- She then learns he's dying. Response? Take the magic carpet, head off to the creature that caused this mess, and deck him. Betty destroyed a horrible monster that took out dozens of trained wizards with a single punch.
- Finally, she survives all this and plans to cure Simon of the Ice King so they can live happily ever after. That's one hell of a fiancee.
- Finn is no longer the last human!
- Lemonhope's climactic battle with Fat Lemongrab upon returning to free his brothers. Lemongrab friggin EXPLODES!
- The fact that Lemongrab 2 is still alive after being eaten by his brother. Also crosses over into Nightmare Fuel, but you have to admire his determination to stay alive. He even helps Lemonhope defeat Lemongrab 1 by removing his earplugs. Crosses into Heartwarming as well, since it's less for his own sake and more for the sake of his children.
- The entire episode in itself is a triumph of sound, visuals, and narration.
- Finn not only manages to complete Billy's Bucket List, but he conquers his fear of the ocean.
- How does he do this? He physically slices his fear spirit in half.
"Escape From the Citadel"
- Finn defeats the Lich by throwing the Guardian's regenerative blood on him, reducing him to a harmless infant. Let us reiterate: Finn did what nothing else has ever done: beat the Lich twice. And seemingly beat him for good.
- On a meta level, the way the Lich is defeated is filled with glorious irony. He's defeated by what he wanted to destroy: life.
- The Lich's performance in this episode was magnificent. By acting like a hollow and defeated husk he allows his enemies to explain their plans right in front of him and he snaps to attention and takes advantage of that opportunity by killing Prismo and opening up the gateway to the Citadel. From there he plans to rally the criminals located in that prison and use them to conquer as many planets as are necessary before all life in the universe is extinguished. The Lich even comes extremely close to killing Finn with relative ease, the only thing that saves Finn is the Guardian Blood that makes the Lich into an organic baby with horns. The Bad Guy almost won, and only someone as clever as The Lich could pull something like that off.
- The Lich's speech to Finn in particular is horrifying in regards to what it makes him symbolically become. In every meaningful fashion that speech establishes him as Death itself, the destroyer of worlds, an all consuming darkness that will extinguish all light simply because it can. You can't overcome an enemy as powerful as Death, and the sense of fear and awe that you feel when you see the Lich operate on that level is palpable.
- Only an implied awesome but the implications of the way Finn's Dad acts so casual in the Citadel prison and actually commands the criminals there with a few words speaks volumes of how badass he probably is underneath that surface of silly behavior.
- The Guardians get one too. While they ultimately lose, they manage to kill nearly all the criminals imprisoned there before falling, including one that can destroy planets.
- When the toxic mutants invade, one of the banana guards incompetently stabs himself with his spear. Finn immediately grabs it and tries to fight off the mutant, but the spear melts. Normally not awesome, but good to see that dismemberment hasn't slowed Finn's heroics down one bit.
- And the James clones' unusual method of saving the day was nice to see.
- Finn manifests psychic powers and creates a phantom limb. He then uses his telekinesis to craft a tower so tall, it reaches into space.
- Breezy's Magical Girl Warrior-style Emergency Transformation Sequence and final form.
- Finn grows a huge tree out of his right arm flower with The Power of Song and The Power of Love for Bubblegum (of whom Breezy creates a hallucination so she can successfully pollinate the flower). The tree breaks off, revealing his full new arm.
- The Food Chain song. A beautiful piece sung by Finn and Princess Bubblegum about one of nature's most mundane miracles.
- The premise itself is pretty awesome. Maja summons a colossus to assault the Candy Kingdom. An epic battle ensues between the colossus and the forces of the Candy Kingdom.
- Colonel Candycorn with a sword. Even more awesome when you consider that just a few minutes earlier, he was seriously distracted by moping over being a widower, and the diffculties he's having getting back into the dating game.
- Then there was Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant's fight with that giant creature.
- Finn gives the killing blow to the colossus with a stab to its head. It's like something out of Shadow of the Colossus.
- Bubblegum being her badass leader self and riding her laser swan into battle when Finn vanishes.
- The very end, where it's revealed that Kent's defeat of the Rat King not only fulfills his relatively small quest for self-discovery; it also brings the treehouse's tree into bloom for the first time in many years.
- Margaret, despite being heavily pregnant, is still a top notch detective and adventurer. When Joshua is poisoned, she heads out to extract venom from the beast who bit him to make an antidote.
- Prismo's convoluted contingency plan to bring himself back to life in case he died. Even he wasn't sure if it would work. And it does. Prismo is back, baby!
- As icing on the cake, an unintentional side effect of the plan results in Finn getting the Finn Sword, a sword made from an alternate version of himself.
- Finn and Tiffany put aside their differences and straight up annihilate the giant worms. They make a surprisingly good team.
- Despite fighting barehanded, Tiffany is able to keep up with Finn in regards to the number of giant worms they fight.
- Flame Princess calls out Princess Bubblegum for orchestrating the freezing of the Fire Kingdom and gives her a "Reason You Suck" Speech. This actually hits Bubblegum hard and she decides to change her ways starting with shutting down her spy network.
- That overshadows Princess Bubblegum A) getting Ice King of all people to cooperate with her in a Fire Kingdom bum-rush (keep in mind that his powers have been shown to not work very well in hot environments), B) getting Flame Princess to outright destroy the machines with her own attacks, and C) fighting her to a standstill with prep time and an appropriate equipment rollout. And after all that, they part on relatively good terms.
- Despite being a completely evil monster, the Lich's Mind Rape of the King of Ooo and Toronto was pretty cool to see. It's hard to tell with the Lich, especially given the strange nature of his rebirth, but considering that he and Sweet P appear to be distinct entities, he may have actually been defending the poor kid after all that humiliation and threats.
The Lich: Here's your gold star!
- Lemongrab renouncing the ecstasy of ego-death promised by Matthew and instead deciding to destroy him and his unobtainable enlightenment, using little symbols of Lemongrab's own imperfect self and his past mistakes: LemonJons. His explanation for doing so is pretty poetic.
"If you are the head that floats atop the ziggurat, then the stairs that lead to you must be infinite! Infinite stairs are UNACCEPTABLE!"
- Lemongrab coming to accept his own imperfections and find peace with himself. Finally.
- Most of the episode consists of Susan Strong showing off how much of a badass she is. She effortlessly beats up hordes of brainwashed workers in her quest to save the kidnapped baby.
- At one point, a giant jelly-dog seems to have her in a tight spot... until her two friends show up in a Big Damn Heroes moment.
- When he's stuck drifting through space, Finn wills the universe into saving him, summoning his father riding a giant space moth to pick him up, and Banana Man's space ship to rescue Jake.
- Seeing Orgalorg absorbing the comet, Finn jumps inside the Eldritch Abomination and grows back his grass sword (this time in the form of a Combat Tentacle), slicing the monster apart from the inside.
- Bonnie's multi-funtion shotgun. Settings include "battery", "tunnel", and "two guns" (which shoots out another shotgun for dual wielding).
- Bonnie and Marceline's fight against the mother varmint and her brood. At one point, Bonnie hops into the broodmother's mouth and tears her way out of the chest.
- The Moon looks like she was ready to kill everyone but Peppermint Butler literally stabbed her in the back with a HUGE stake, giving Marceline the opening she needed to absorb The Moon.
- The Candy People rebelling against the King of Ooo. He had it coming for a long time. Bonus points for Crunchie, the chief victim of his abuse, pushing him into a fire place forcing him to melt into a glob of wax.
- All of the Kingdoms of Ooo throwing everyone they have against the Vampire King's Essence even if it didn't work it was still mighty impressive.
- Marceline's She's Back moment after her 10-Minute Retirement. Also her absorbing the Vampire King's essence.
Marceline: I'm gonna poop my pants if Finn kills this guy before me!
- The Vampire King makes it pretty apparent that he could take out all of our heroes if he so desired. It just so happened that killing them wasn't what he wanted, and he managed to keep them all at bay long enough to explain that he was tired of the endless repetitive cycle of violence.
- Finn gets one for facing VK without showing any obvious fear, even when he was being held, his neck exposed.
- The Vampire King's fantastically hammy Badass Boast about how he isn't afraid of the unknown. At least before it starts to get weird.
- When the Vampire King attempts to surrender, Marcy goes in to stake him anyway. But halts when she finds Finn blocking her path. It's against Finn's moral code to slay a foe who has their butt in the air.
Marcy: Dem's your rules.Finn: Dem's good rules.
- Finn and Jake manage to handle both Ice Prince Finn from Farmworld and the Lich-infested Jake, at the same time! They defeat the Lich, preventing him from destroying the multiverse and even manage to restore Farmworld to its previous state.
"Jelly Beans Have Power"
- Patience plan of messing with Bubblegum.
- Martin actually risking his life to save his baby son.