Western Animation: Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins
A Direct-to-Video OAV meant as a tie-in of sorts to Mortal Kombat. The plots between cartoon and movie are more or less similar, with the same three protagonists - Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade - but with far less tournament and far more backstory.You can see the full movie here.See also Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm.
Trope examples include:
- Back-to-Back Badasses: This happens with the trio when they get ambushed by some Tarkatan Mooks.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Every good guy does it.
- Batman Gambit: To try and prevent Earth's Power Trio from reaching the island, Shang Tsung sics Scorpion and Sub Zero on them.
- Catch Phrase: Scorpion says "Get over here!", whilst Shang Tsung says "Flawless Victory!" and "Finish him!" in one of the many, many flashbacks.
- Combination Attack: Liu Kang and Johnny manage to pull one of these off in the Multi-Mook Melee.
- Conspicuous CGI: It may have been the 90s, the early age of CGI but damn do the 3D fight scenes look off.
- As does the CGI backgrounds for the 2D scenes.
- Costume Inertia: Inverted for the Multi-Mook Melee - Johnny Cage actually takes his Cool Shades off... then they're back on again.
- Mister Exposition: Raiden. Literally 90% of his dialogue is just exposition.
- MST: Retsupurae takes a crack at the entire video starting here.
- No Ending: Though the film claims that the live action film that this was released for will pick up where this left off... Only it didn't.
- Speed Echoes: In the mook battle.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Much like the then-current console ports of the games, and the live-action movie, Raiden's name is misspelled as "Rayden" in the "Meet the Fighters" sequence.
- Stock Footage: Quite a lot of the 2D animation is this.
- It Is Pronounced Tro-PAY: Raiden hilariously does this when explaining to the heroes Sub-Zero's background.Raiden: Sub-Zero is part of the clan known as the Lin Cue.note
- Whole Episode Flashback: The whole thing is pretty much Raiden explaining the events of previous Mortal Kombat tournaments over the aforementioned CGI.