Western Animation: Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins
A Direct-to-Video OAV meant as a tie-in of sorts to Mortal Kombat. The plots between cartoon and movie are more or less similar, with the same three protagonists - Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade - but with far less tournament and far more backstory.You can see the full movie here.See also Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm.
Trope examples include:
- Back-to-Back Badasses: This happens with the trio when they get ambushed by some Tarkatan Mooks.
- Battle of the Still Frames: The fight scene against the Tarkatan army is done like this. Oddly enough, in some shots the Tarkatans move normally while another visible character is "fading from one spot to the other.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Every good guy does it.
- Batman Gambit: To try and prevent Earth's Power Trio from reaching the island, Shang Tsung sics Scorpion and Sub Zero on them.
- Catch Phrase: Scorpion says "Get over here!", whilst Shang Tsung says "Flawless Victory!" and "Finish him!" in one of the many, many flashbacks.
- Combination Attack: Liu Kang and Johnny manage to pull one of these off in the Multi-Mook Melee.
- Conspicuous CGI: It may have been the 90s, the early age of CGI but damn do the 3D fight scenes look off.
- As does the CGI backgrounds for the 2D scenes.
- Costume Inertia: Inverted for the Multi-Mook Melee - Johnny Cage actually takes his Cool Shades off... then they're back on again.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Shang Tsung knows he can't attack the trio before the Tournament, in risk of forfeiting. So he has Sub Zero use his powers to freeze the deck so that they would die in a slip and fall. It doesn't work and even then Raiden was well aware of it.
- Mister Exposition: Raiden. Literally 90% of his dialogue is just exposition.
- MST: Retsupurae takes a crack at the entire video starting here.
- No Ending: Though the film claims that the live action film that this was released for will pick up where this left off... Only it didn't.
- Speed Echoes: In the mook battle.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Much like the then-current console ports of the games, and the live-action movie, Raiden's name is misspelled as "Rayden" in the "Meet the Fighters" sequence.
- Stock Footage: Quite a lot of the 2D animation is this.
- It Is Pronounced Tro-PAY: Raiden hilariously does this when explaining to the heroes Sub-Zero's background.Raiden: Sub-Zero is part of the clan known as the Lin Cue.note
- Whole Episode Flashback: The whole thing is pretty much Raiden explaining the events of previous Mortal Kombat tournaments over the aforementioned CGI.