Creator: Cristina Valenzuela
Cristina Valenzuela (born July 11th, 1987), also known as Cristina Vee, is an American voice actress.She caught the attention of dubbing studio Bang Zoom! Entertainment from a voice acting panel at Anime Expo 2004, an anime convention in Southern California. Since then, Bang Zoom! has continually invited Valenzuela to do voice work in anime, foreign films, and commercials. She has appeared at conventions throughout the United States where she sometimes sings live concerts (this apparently landed her the live action role as ASOS Brigade leader in Haruhi Suzumiya season 2). Cristina's also one of the co-hosts of Anime Olympics and season 2 of Anime TV. At one point (the video has since been made private), she dubbed of a BlazBlue webcomic, voicing... who else? Noel. As you can guess, she's One of Us. She has been working as the voice director of Skullgirls.Despite her new start, she quickly racked up popularity amongst the new age of voice actors, making her a fan favorite and most of her appearances in many projects will be met with much rejoicing. Yes, that's right, in a quick moment, she is starting to rival the popularities of accomplished ones, the likes of Johnny Yong Bosch, Michelle Ruff, Stephanie Sheh, Yuri Lowenthal, etc... (although still a long way to go until she reaches the memetic status of Crispin Freeman or Steve Blum). Since then she has been constantly improving her image professionally and shows no signs of slowing down her career.Not to be confused with Christine V (though if FSS ever gets another animated production, the casting choice for her in the English version is fairly obvious...).Also has Formspring, YouTube, and Twitter accounts. Mind you that since she's really busy on her voice acting work, she may not have time to reply to any submitted questions at her Formspring account. But she does reply to them, eventually.Her Houston counterpart is Caitlynn French and her Japanese counterpart in terms of casting is Chiwa Saito. Her evolution of roles seems to also match with Nana Mizuki, in terms of being voice actors that tend to be cast as Magical Girls and going from sweet girls into more Broken Bird roles these days.
Notable roles include:
- Aika Sumeragi in AIKa R-16: Virgin Mission
- Alicia Rue in Sword Art Online
- Compa in Hyperdimension Neptunia The Animation (first role with FUNimation)
- Cubone, Red's Nidoran♂, and a Lass in Pokémon Origins
- Homura Akemi and Walpurgisnacht in Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Kanaria from Rozen Maiden: Träumend
- Layla in Pokémon Black and White: Rival Destinies
- Louise in Zero no Tsukaima (Season 1 only)
- Mana Itosu/Coral Merrow in Accel World
- Moe Fukuoka in Wanna Be the Strongest in the World!
- Mio Akiyama in K-On!
- Morgiana in Magi – Labyrinth of Magic
- Nagisa Saito in Squid Girl
- Nanoha Takamachi in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
- Noel Vermillion, Nu-13, and Lambda-11 in BlazBlue: Alter Memory
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon
- Rei Hououmaru in Kill la Kill
- Riruka Dokuragamine in Bleach (first anime role with Studiopolis)
- Ruri Hijiribe in Durarara!!
- Sachi in Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne
- (Real) Saji Genpou in Ikki Tousen: Great Guardian
- Sakura Matou in Fate/Zero
- Princess Yohime in Nurarihyon No Mago
- Alisa Boskonovitch in Tekken: Blood Vengeance (Hell, she cosplayed as her)
- Cerebella in Skullgirls (she also did the voice direction!)
- Cinque in Final Fantasy Type-0
- Compa in Neptunia
- Croire in Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
- Ionasal kkll Preciel in Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
- Karna and Bami in Ys: Memories of Celceta
- Lianshi in Dynasty Warriors 7
- Mercedes in MapleStory
- Noel Vermillion, Nu-13, Lambda-11, and Mu-12 in BlazBlue
- Nova in Tales of Xillia 2
- Riven in League of Legends
- Sylphy in Avalon Code
- The titular character of Shantae
- Wilbell in Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Tropes associated with Cristina Valenzuela:
- Bilingual Bonus: She sings songs in Japanese. Competently, too! This even includes things like singing "Bad Apple!!" in English. Yes, THAT "Bad Apple!!"
- Boyish Short Hair: Currently, her hairstyle is a pixie cut.
- But Not Too Foreign: She says that she has some Mexican/Lebanese ancestry.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: She's been known to be cosplaying some characters she voiced. Including Noel, Mio, and Alisa.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lauren Landa.
- Idol Singer: She sings some popular J-pop songs and some OP and ending songs in English in some of her free time and posts them on Youtube.
- Loony Fan: Someone sent her something. According to herself, it gives her something to talk about at 18+ panels.
- One of Us: On many numerous anime, video games, Disney, Doctor Who, and comics too! (skip to 32:10) She found this very page, in this very site, and she loves it! She's a fan of Marble Hornets. Here she is with Joseph and Tim! She plays League of Legends, voices one of the characters there, and she even was a host at their IPL4 tournament. She knew the existence of the Madoka Abridged and even lent some random voices for Homura there, with the effect of advertising "I'm Cristina Vee, and I'm voicing Homura in the actual Madoka dub!" She did a dub of a Blazen! fancomic starring Noel from BlazBlue. Later on she was willing to do an introduction for an episode of Help Me Doctor Hazama.
- She also admits to being a huge Sailor Moon fan, and fandubbed the opening theme and Moon Revenge. And now she gets to be Sailor Mars in the new Viz dub of Sailor Moon. Nice. She also stated at Katsucon 2015 that she is especially looking forward to dub the Sailor Moon R movie (which has Moon Revenge).
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor:
- Either Badass Adorable characters (Nanoha), Adorkable characters (Mio) or both (Noel).
- According to her, she feels that she is typecast into the "sweet girl".
- Her roles as Noel's clone and Superpowered Evil Side (Nu/Lambda and Mu, respectively) subvert this, as one is mostly deadpan, while the other is a bit more...aggressive in her monotony.
- And of course Homura is also a subversion. She sounds more deadpan and monotone like Nu, until some of her tender side got revealed.
- Cerebella is yet another subversion, but then again she was in charge of voice acting in Skullgirls, so this may have been a conscious choice on her part..
- And now she's playing Sakura Matou, perhaps the darkest character within her resume (silent girl who is constantly broken at every turn). In a subversion, throughout her time in Fate/Zero, she didn't show much of the brokenness and presents herself as a 'sweet innocent girl put through shit a lot', still kind of in-line. Her true darkness is only shown during the Heaven's Feel scenario. A movie based on Heaven's Feel is now in the works, but for those hoping to hear Vee voice the "real" dark Sakura, only time will tell if it gets licensed and brought to the U.S, and brought back Vee for her.
- Croire, should count as Histoire's Evil Counterpart.
- Her recent roles, however, shown she's more typecast into girls who are emotionally and completely broken one way or another. Coincidentally, this sweetie-to-broken girls role kind of mirrors the evolution of Nana Mizuki, although Vee hasn't started a singing career (she does sing in spare time).
- Promoted Fangirl
- Relationship Voice Actor: Cristina has a 'group' of voice actresses, mostly new ones, that usually accompany her and will not be seen without her. These include Jennifer Alyx, Lauren Landa, Marianne Miller, Xanthe Huynh, Christine Marie Cabanos, Danielle McRae, Shelby Lindley and Sarah Williams, to name a few. They've worked together (the one who's present in these works constantly is just Cristina) in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, BlazBlue, K-On!, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Neptunia, Zero no Tsukaima (Season 1 only), Kill la Kill and Skullgirls.
- Spiritual Successor: Considering the similar vocal ranges she can pull off, she's considered the successor to both Kari Wahlgren (who is now Union-only) and Michelle Ruff (who still works on both union and non-union projects).
- Tsundere: As Louise, Riruka Dokuragamine, and Rei Hino (aka Sailor Mars).
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: She can go from voicing little girls, to voicing sweet high pitched teens, to voicing lower pitched Badasses.