Cristina Valenzuela, also known as Cristina Vee, is an American voice actress.
She caught the attention of dubbing studio Bang Zoom! Entertainment from a voice acting panel at Anime Expo 2004, an anime convention in Southern California. Since then, Bang Zoom! has continually invited Valenzuela to do voice work in anime, foreign films, and commercials.
She has appeared at conventions throughout the United States where she sometimes sings live concerts (this apparently landed her the live action role as ASOS Brigade leader
in Haruhi Suzumiya
season 2). Cristina's also one of the co-hosts of Anime Olympics
and season 2 of Anime TV
. At one point (the video has since been made private), she dubbed of a BlazBlue webcomic
, voicing... who else? Noel. As you can guess, she's One of Us
. She has been working as the voice director of Skullgirls
Despite her new start, she quickly racked up popularity amongst the new age of voice actors, making her a fan favorite
and most of her appearances in many projects will be met with much rejoicing. Yes, that's right, in a quick moment, she is starting to rival the popularities of accomplished ones, the likes of Johnny Yong Bosch
, Michelle Ruff
, Stephanie Sheh
, Yuri Lowenthal
, etc... (although still a long way to go until she reaches the memetic status of Crispin Freeman
or Steve Blum
). Since then she has been constantly improving her image professionally and shows no signs of slowing down her career.
Not to be confused with Christine V
(though if FSS ever gets another animated production, the casting choice for her in the English version is fairly obvious...).
Also has Formspring
, and Twitter
accounts. Mind you that since she's really busy on her voice acting work, she may not have time to reply to any submitted questions at her Formspring account. But she does reply to them, eventually.
Notable roles include:
Tropes Associated With Cristina Valenzuela
- Bilingual Bonus: She sings songs in Japanese. Competently, too! This even includes things like singing "Bad Apple!!" in English. Yes, THAT "Bad Apple!!"
- Boyish Short Hair: Currently, her hairstyle is a pixie cut.
- But Not Too Foreign: She says that she has some Mexican/Lebanese ancestry.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: She's been known to be cosplaying some characters she voiced. Including Noel, Mio, and Alisa.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lauren Landa.
- Idol Singer: She sings some popular J-pop songs and some OP and ending songs in English in some of her free time and posts them on Youtube.
- Loony Fan: Someone sent her something. According to herself, it gives her something to talk about at 18+ panels.
- One of Us: On many numerous anime, video games, Disney, Doctor Who, and comics too! (skip to 32:10) She found this very page, in this very site, and she loves it! She's a fan of Marble Hornets. Here she is with Joseph and Tim! She plays League of Legends, voices one of the characters there, and she even was a host at their IPL4 tournament. She knew the existence of the Madoka Abridged and even lent some random voices for Homura there, with the effect of advertising "I'm Cristina Vee, and I'm voicing Homura in the actual Madoka dub!" She did a dub of a Blazen! fancomic starring Noel from BlazBlue. Later on she was willing to do an introduction for an episode of Help Me Doctor Hazama.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Either Badass Adorable characters (Nanoha), Adorkable characters (Mio) or both (Noel)
- According to her, she feels that she is typecast into the "sweet girl."
- Her roles as Noel's clone and Superpowered Evil Side (Nu/Lambda and Mu, respectively) subvert this, as one is mostly deadpan, while the other is a bit more...aggressive in her monotony.
- And of course Homura is also a subversion. She sounds more deadpan and monotone like Nu, until some of her tender side got revealed.
- Cerebella is yet another subversion, but then again she was in charge of voice acting in Skullgirls, so this may have been a conscious choice on her part..
- And now she's playing Sakura Matou, perhaps the darkest character within her resume (silent girl who is constantly broken at every turn). In a subversion, throughout her time in Fate/Zero, she didn't show much of the brokenness and presents herself as a 'sweet innocent girl put through shit a lot', still kind of in-line. Her true darkness is shown during Heaven's Feel scenario... which is never animated on TV, and only voiced in Japan so Vee hasn't gotten around voicing the 'real Dark' Sakura.
- Croire, should count as Histoire's Evil Counterpart.
- Her recent roles, however, shown she's more typecast into girls who are emotionally and completely broken one way or another.
- Promoted Fangirl
- Relationship Voice Actor: Cristina has a 'group' of voice actresses, mostly new ones, that usually accompany her and will not be seen without her. These include Jennifer Alyx, Lauren Landa, Marianne Miller, Xanthe Huynh, Christine Marie Cabanos, Danielle McRae, Shelby Lindley and Sarah Williams, to name a few. They've worked together (the one who's present in these works constantly is just Cristina) in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, BlazBlue, K-On!, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Neptunia, Zero no Tsukaima and Skullgirls.