is an anime series about a boy named Riki Ryugasaki who gets ahold of a rare talking B-Daman, a blue dragon named Dracyan. This allows him to join an underground society of B-Shots and participate in their high level tournaments, as well as make a lot of friends in the process. However, some B-Shots are plotting to use their special B-Damans to rule the world, and only Riki and other B-Shots with dragon B-Damans can stop them.
This is B-Daman
's second chance in America since the other series that made it to the states
did rather poorly there.
The series airs on CW Vortexx
. Sumi also appeared in a Echidna Ninja comic
, being repersented as one of the shows that should be on the 2014 upfront for Nickelodeon
and The '90s Are All That
The show has the following tropes:
- The Ace: Samuru, Novu, Yuki, and eventually Riki.
- Broken Ace: Samuruís is an Ineffectual Loner who couldnít make friends since his dad had to travel all the time - Riki being the only person he could be ďfriendsĒ with.
- Ambiguously Bi: Simon Sumiya. Heís a gynophobic with signs of being only slightly interested in girls.
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: Both the opening and ending songs are changed for Western releases.
- Badass Adorable: More than 90% of the cast are under the age of 18 and are adorable while battling with marbles in heated battles.
- Big Bad: Derek appears to be this, but heís The Dragon to Novu from episodes 7-11 and in the second half of the series, Rudy becomes this under the influence of the Golden Dragon.
- Big Brother Mentor: While he appears to be in his early 20s, Akira Saiga is this to the B-Shots, most notably Riki and Kaito.
- Big Eater: Yuki, and just like Odd he has a high level of metabolism. Grizz on the other hand shows quite a bit of restraint on-screen at least.
- Birds of a Feather: Hugo and Derek find a common ground in their love for large felines.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: As it turns out, Novu.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Rudy by Dragold.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Kaito is frequently tardy and is somewhat hyperactive, but he consistently ranks high at tournaments.
- Burning with Anger: Everyone in the East Block except for Riki and Rory when they heard about Novu's reputation from Takakura.
- Catch Phrase: Riki's is "Mystery".
- Simon's is "Sha-Sha"
- Hugoís is "King of A Hundred and Ten Beasts" before Yuki corrected him.
- Basaraís is Unleash the Darkness-Double Drazeros!
- Can't Catch Up: Reggie starts to feel this once he realizes he has to compete with Samuru, Hugo and Derek. Then he finds out about Novu and Derek's plans, gets a Breaking Speech from Novu, and proceeds to have a Face-Heel Turn until Yuki snaps him out of it with the Power of Friendship.
- The Chick: Sumi once she learns of Crossfire.
- Control Freak: As it turns out, none other than Novu Moru. Control seems to be his favorite word. That his plans of control tend to falter, especially after meeting Riki and friends, it tends to drive him on edge.
- Dark Is Evil: Basara and Double Drazeros.
- Deadpan Snarker: Thunder Dracyan.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Dragold
- Defrosting Ice King: Non-romantic example, Samuru towards Riki.
- Delinquents: Derek and Basara. Derek enjoys causing trouble for the lulz and Basara has some anger issues due to not being able to wield a B-Daman without smashing it.
- The Dragon: Ostensibly Novu to Dragold.
- Dub Name Change: Kakeru to Riki, Subaru Shirogane to Samuru Shigami, Gouichiro Tsukiwa to Grizz Sukino, Yukihide to Yuki, Shumon Katsumiya to Simon Sumiya, Reiji Maki to Reggie Mak, Ouga Raidou to Hugo Raidoh, Naoya Homura to Novu Moru, Daiki to Derek, Kurofuchi to Kurochi, Kamiougi to Kami, Gun to Gunner, Ruri to Rory. It seems this practice is still very much in vogue, unfortunately.
- Dynamic Entry: Derek has a bad habit of jumping in the air to do simultaneous backflips before falling.
- Evolving Credits: The ending sequence in the Japanese version adds more characters as the show goes on. The American version simply uses the first variation.
- Expy: Yuki's personality and appearance are similar to Aleksei.
- Fat Best Friend: Grizz. Unlike most big guys, he tends to be smart.
- Face-Heel Turn: After Reggie confronts Novu and Derek, Novu beats him and uses a Breaking Speech to convince him to join his side, which results in Reggie becoming stronger through The Power of Hate. Thankfully though, it doesn't last long.
- Fiery Redhead: Basara
- The Fighting Narcissist: Asuka Kami.
- Finishing Move: Every B-Shot and their B-Daman have a Super Shot, where the B-Daman's Animal Motif comes out for a super strong final attack, like a Special Move.
- Four Gods: An interesting use of the legend, in the sense that they are all presented as dragons, but still have the colors combined with the cardinal directions. Dracyan, the blue dragon, is in the East block; Dravise, the white dragon, hails from the West block; Dragren, the red dragon, comes from the South block; and Drazeros, the black dragon, chooses his master in the North block. Dragold, the golden dragon in the centre and technical leader of the other dragons is the main villain.
- Genre Savvy: Thunder Dracyan especially about Novu and Riki when it comes to ancient temples & mysteries.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Samuru is the only B-Shot to suspect Novu for trying to rule the B-Daman Organization. He doesnít participate in any of the tournaments while Novu's around, keeps a close eye on him, and when Novu is almost exposed, he shows up with recorded evidence against him. And as a added bonus, when Riki and Yuki fight against Derek and Novuís B-Damanís Fusion, he jumps in, providing enough of a distraction for Rory and Grandpa Takakura to arrive.
- The Hero: Riki and Thunder Dracyan.
- Hot-Blooded: Kaito is this, which is ironic since his B-Daman is Lightning Fin.
- Hugo and Basara qualify as well.
- Hot Teacher: Riki and Sumi have one.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Riki's, Samuru's, Novu's, Basara's, and later Rudy's B-Damans. According to Yuki and Takakura, they are strongest and oldest types of B-Daman.
- Large Ham: Hugo Raidoh. Its only fitting that his B Daman is a Thunder Leo
- Donít forget Derek. That guy is hammier than Jim Morales.
- Larynx Dissonance: Samuru due to being voiced by Wendee Lee.
- The Lancer: Yuki fits this role to Riki in the East block. Later he's overshadowed by Samuru.
- Light Is Not Good: Dragold, though he reforms at the very end.
- Lightning Bruiser: The dragon B-Damans are both versatile and powerful.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Sumi until about half-way through the series, when she accidentaly eavesdrops on Riki and Dracyan talking.
- Lovely Assistant: Rory to her grandfather. And everyone, even Riki has a crush on her.
- Magic Skirt: One part of the first episode, Sumi's skirt briefly became hoopy as Amy Rose's dress.
- Meaningful Name: Oh so many.
- The 'ryu' in Riki's family name, Ryugasaki, means 'dragon'.
- The 'shiro' in Shirogane, Samuru's family name, means 'white'. Dravise is the white dragon.
- Novu's Japanese family name Homura means 'flame'. He wields the red dragon.
- Basara's family name Kurofuchi has 'kuro' which means 'black'. His dragon is the black one.
- Rudy Sumeragi's family name can be read as 'emperor'. He ends up wielding Dragold, the king of B-Damans.
- Just about everybody else has names that refer to their B-Animals, a lot of which were lost in the dub.
- Mighty Glacier: Grizz' Bearga is a powerful B-Daman capable of toppling heavier targets, but can't use rapid shots.
- Ms. Fanservice: Sumi. Not only that she wears a plad skirt and has beautiful long hair, she's also voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessy.
- Then there's Rory in a cute blue dress.
- Multiple Head Case: Double Drazeros supposedly has two heads, though it talks as one individual.
- NaÔve Newcomer: Riki starts out as one when first introduced to Crossfire, but grows out of it eventually.
- Plucky Girl: Sumi
- Quarter Hour Short: In Japan, there are a total of ~11 minute long 52 episodes. In the West, they were combined to become 26 half-hour episodes.
- The Power of Friendship: In the final Crossfire event of season 1, Riki and Dracyan invoke this when the power of the B-Cyrstal responds to their determination to beat Samuru and Dravise.
- Rich Bitch: Simon, said to come from a wealthy family, is a male version.
- The Rival: Samuru to Riki, later the feelings are returned. Also, Asuka eventually declares Riki to be his eternal Rival, even using that as a reason to help him and his friends out.
- Serious Business: The fate of the world hinges on shooting marbles at colorful blocks.
- Ship Tease: Riki/Rory, as well as Riki/Sumi and Simon/Sumi, which leads toÖ
- The Smart Guy: Yuki
- Spanner in the Works: Samuru, Riki, and even Simon were this to Novu.
- Speed Blitz: Simon and Kaito have rapid-fire type B-Damans.
- Stage Names: Colleen O'Shaughnessy is credited as Olivia Charles.
- Tournament Arc: Every Crossfire event is one, but the notable ones are the East vs. West Block Battle, the battle to crown the overall champion of Crossfire at the end of the first half of the series, and the East GP, West GP etc..
- Unknown Rival: Simon to Riki, until they battle in episode 9.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Basara. He's so physically strong that every time he tried to use a B-Daman, it couldn't handle his strength. When he gets Double Drazeros, he has no understanding of the rules, so he gets schooled by Kaito and nearly loses for it too. Riki was also this in the beginning.
- Walking the Earth: A defeated Dragold leaves to go see the worlds Cross Fights.
- Weak, but Skilled: Rudy only has a W.B.M.A. Proto 1, but heís able to perform amazing accurate shots and made it into 4th place at the East GP.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Novu
- The Worf Effect: Kaito is first presented as a powerful-despite-appearances type of character. He goes on to lose to Hugo twice, and is easily beaten by Asuka Kami, though he does at least get the chance to school Basara.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Riki
- You Talk Too Much: Samuru says this to Lightning Dravise frequently.
- Why Did it Have to Be Girls: Simon has gynophobia, so the very affectionate Sumi scares the crap out of him, though he may have a secret crush on her. In the second series, we get to know why. His sisters used to force him to dress up like a girl.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rory wears this with short shorts.