Webcomic / Blazen!
is a BlazBlue
fancomic made by Shadow Draygon, a member of the Guilty Gear
forum Dustloop. It uses in-game sprites
and official artwork, and is a mostly self-contained gag series which takes the characters' most notable traits and exaggerates them
or completely changes them,
tending to be the main focus
The main page can be found here
, but as a result of having been cancelled for a while, most links on this page are now kind of dead. An archive of the original series of comics can be found here
. Beware; major BlazBlue
spoilers end up as regular jokes in the comics.
As of September 11, 2011, the comic was canceled.
And then on March 20, 2013, it was Un-Canceled
, as the sequel series Blazen Again
. For how long, however, remains to be seen.
The new comics may be found here
On October 9, 2013, Blazen!: BlazBlue: Alter Memory Abridged
was officially confirmed to be in the works. It can be found here
As of 17th March 2015, Blazen was officially canceled, again.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Makoto catches Tsubaki in the middle of...some private time... and tells Tsubaki that if she keeps it up with the incest porn, she'll go blind. Tsubaki dismisses her, but later when Noel and Ragna are about to have sex...
- Affectionate Parody: "BEEEEEEEEES!" is a Take That at the GameSpot preview of Continuum Shift, which infamously got Arakune's bio completely wrong.
- Ascended Meme: Cristina Valenzuela, Noel’s voice actor, dubbed one of the comics!
- Bears Are Bad News: During Bang and Carl's ninja camping trip, Carl gets kidnapped by Bang's Arch-Enemy, the "Killer Pirate Cyborg Bear"
- Berserk Button: Don't joke about how dead Nine is in front of Jubei.
- Boundary Bros.: Hakumen and Arakune.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The comic's version of Litchi.
- Blah Blah Blah: Used to great effect by Terumi in this comic: "Filler: Extra Arcade Story"
- Brick Joke: Venom's "Dark Angel" super goes through EVERYTHING, a tradition continued from Holy Zen!, one of Shadow Draygon's earlier comics. So far it's come out of Mu-12's cocoon and Take-Mikazuchi.
- To elaborate, an earlier Holy Zen! strip had Venom launch a Dark Angel at Millia; it missed and went on an unstoppable rampage, bulldozing through Sol and Testament playing a Tabletop Game (which Testament was about to Rage Quit due to Sol's stupidity), and Axl and Potemkin adventuring together, amongst other things.
- Bullying a Dragon: Hazama always mouths off to the Imperator whenever they interact. The Imperator always responds with painful retaliation.
- The Cameo: Several from Holy Zen!, but Sol stalks Makoto regularly due to his hatred of squirrels.
- The rogue Dark Angel as launched by Venom also makes a couple of cameo appearences.
Venom: Where the hell do those Dark Angels keep going?
- Call Back: In "Sparklicious", Platinum the Trinity comments on how LSD is a helluva drug. Rachel replying gives the impression that Platinum's talking to her, but it's more likely she's talking to Gii - who was referenced as having an LSD stash in "Rachel in Wonderland". Gii bowing and blushing in that same panel all but confirms this.
- The Chew Toy: Noel, just...Noel. Even Shadow Draygon makes fun of her in her character description.
- Comedic Sociopathy: The comic in general uses this as its driving source of humor.
- Crossover: A couple of the newer comics have been crossing over BlazBlue with Persona 4. And occasionally characters from Guilty Gear show up from time to time too.
- Faux Affably Evil: Hazama, Jin, and Litchi, among others.
- Gag Dub: Occasionally, Shadow Draygon will upload a chapter of a dance-themed translation of the official BlazBlue: Chimelical Complex comic.
- Good Times Montage: In Eligible Bachelor, Relius recounts his date with Litchi in this style. It begins with dinner and ends with both of them getting intimate at Relius' place. Of course, since it's Relius, "getting intimate" is code-word for "getting experimented on in the sex dungeon".
- Hazama then one-ups him by recounting the last date he went on. It was the time he burned down Caelica's church and killed her.
- Groin Attack: Bang receives one of the most painful kind...from a mouth with razored edges.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Unlike his situation in the actual game, Carl's traumatic childhood experiences and relationship with Relius in Blazen! is Played for Laughs more than anything.
- In "Summer Vacation," the abuse is accidental. This does not stop it from being hilarious.
- Hostile Show Takeover: The series begins with Shadow Draygon's previous comic, Holy Zen!, being taken over by the BlazBlue cast. Later, Hazama steals the plot and an army of Robo-Kys take over the comic for a while.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Litchi.
- Jerk Ass: Who else but Jin "God of Assholes" Kisaragi?
- Literal Split Personality: Without Terumi inhabiting the "Hazama" body, it is kind, well-mannered, helpful, and overly cheerful. However, it still seems to possess a little bit of trolly goodness, though more indirect: see Mushroom Samba below.
- Ascended Fanon: The latest side novel, Phase Shift 1, introduces a character called Kazuma who turns out to be Hazama without Terumi inside of him.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Bang "By all of Ikaruga, I must tap that!" Shishigami.
- Mushroom Samba: Rachel gets some LSD slipped into her tea by "Hazama"; that is, Hazama's body without the ghost of Terumi inside it and imagines herself in an RPG style universe.
- Mythology Gag: The comic as a whole relies a lot on these for most of its jokes. Such as the example for A Date with Rosie Palms above, for Tsubaki.
- Only Sane Man: Ragna as he's protrayed as more a normal guy in a not so normal world, well most of the time anyways.
- Planet of Hats: The "Awesome Hat Alliance" created by Carl, which deems that only awesome people can wear hats. Anyone who wears a hat and is not considered awesome gets their hat confiscated as a warning. It appears that Hazama, Tsubaki, I-no and Johnny have all joined as well.
- Post-Rape Taunt: Played for dark humor in one comic between Rachel and Jin (Rachel's the one speaking)
Here's twenty bucks. Go clean yourself up, you crybaby.
- Pun: "So your mom and sister left you due to your theatrics? That is a tragedy."
- Shmuck Bait: One of the most popular strips has Hazama set up a booth with the sign "Stay Calm For 30 Seconds, Win $10". Needless to say, many, many people try to win the challenge. They all fail. Jin comes close to succeeding by counter-trolling, but misses the mark by one-tenth of a second. He did manage to draw Terumi out, though.
- At first it looks like Makoto was the first to beat the game...only to learn that it was not Hazama, but Sol Badguy in a Hazama mask. Due to his hatred of squirrels (another Holy Zen! reference), he promptly scorches the surrounding area, traps Makoto inside the burning booth, and muzzles Hype Dog.
- Hazama's shadow has it use the same trick to Hazama himself. It doesn't work, due to his nature and all.
- Shout-Out to Shakespeare: Relius is VERY fond of quoting Shakespeare and theater in general.
- Time Travel: Thanks to a few mishaps with this, two Hazamas come into existence at the same time, and actually meet with each other. Thank goodness that one was much less of a jerk than the other.
- From Holy Zen! Axl and Potemkin occasionally appear from their adventures.
- Troll: Hazama and Jin, though it appears Hazama possessing people tends leave the person with troll tendencies.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: One of Arakune's goals on the increasingly-large bucket list of his. He accomplishes it.
- Villain Protagonist: Quite often Hazama. Some have said that he may as well be the main character of the comic.
- Visual Pun: Hazama's persona is Mara. He's a huge dick.
- What Does This Button Do?: In #72: Override, Terumi invokes this while messing with Relius' new device, which controls Lambda-11.
- Why Did It Have To Be Dark Angels?: Rachel's face when seeing a Dark Angel fly out of Take-Mikazuchi.
- Yandere: Nu, moreso than her game counterpart. She'll KILL anyone who gets in the way of HER Ragna, and then activate hug.exe when near him (which involves stabbing him through the chest and going deeper and deeper every second).