'Are We There Yet? is a 2005 comedy film about Nick Kingston (Ice Cube), a man who transports 2 bratty kids to their beautiful divorced mother with whom he winds up dating and marrying in a sequel Are We Done Yet?, where he and the family move to a new house in desperate need of repair, and the TV series Are We There Yet? The series is a rare example of a black family oriented sitcom in the 2010's. The show has Nick as a successful sports talk show host with the kids' bad behavior significantly toned down. His wife Suzanne's bossiness and stubborn manner provides the greatest source of conflict within the show. Cube is a producer to the series, and has a role as Suzanne's brother.
The series provides examples of:
- The Alleged Car: Nick's navigator takes so much abuse throughout the entirety of the first film. It eventually ends with the car exploding completely.
- Bait-and-Switch: oh, no! Nick's getting run over! Oh, wait, just the twin motorcycle fakeout.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Lindsey and Kevin, especially in the first movie.
- Brick Joke: At the end of the second movie, a ladder falls on to the front of Nick's car, smashing the windscreen to bits. This trope applies as the first movie was centred around his original car being destroyed by the kids.
- Butt-Monkey: The series, particularly the sequel, refuses to go one minute without tormenting Nick.
- Cool Car: Nick had it going since the beginning, but it went through so much trauma...
- Disappeared Dad: the kid's father was deemed sick. However, after getting to where he lives, they learned the hard way as to why he was gone.
- Gass Hole: Gigi, when she gets nervous or upset. Woe to anyone stuck on a stalled elevator with her.
- Murphy's Law: In both movies, every possible thing goes wrong.
- New Year Has Come: The film takes place on New Year's Eve.
- Parodies of Fire: Happens as the doctor power-walks to the family's house in the sequel.
- Reactive Continuous Scream: Happens in the second movie, between Nick and a frigging FISH.
- Tempting Fate: my God, this movie is full of them.
- Title Drop: Near the start of the first movie, Kevin asks Nick if they are there yet.