We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Reactive Continuous Scream
The simple dog made the noise all through the night and was still going strong the next morning. When we were loading the dogs into the car, the constant, high-pitched sound emanating from the simple dog finally broke the helper dog. The helper dog wailed in anguish, which alarmed the simple dog. In her surprise, the simple dog let out a yelp, which further upset the helper dog. And so it continued in a wretched positive-feedback loop of completely unnecessary noise.
Somebody is startled by another — and screams. The surprise at being screamed at makes the other scream (usually even louder than the originator), which leads to the first person continuing to scream, which makes the other then scream even more. If more than two people are involved it can end up with a room filled with people screaming in surprise with no one really knowing why
Compare Vomit Chain Reaction
open/close all folders
- A variant used in this 2008 Super Bowl commercial with forest animals and a woman in a car about to hit a squirrel.
- Another variant was used in a legendary Super Bowl commercial, except a Reactive Continuous "WHASSAAAAAAAAP?" replaced the scream.
Anime and Manga
- Yotsuba&! initiates a three way scream that goes on for half a chapter; while showing a live frog she caught to her friend Ena, her other friend Miura shows up in an scarecrow outfit, causing Yotsuba to scream. Ena uses the frog to scare Miura, who screams and backs into Yotsuba, who renews her own screaming, and reflexively starts hitting her with Ena's favorite teddy bear, causing Ena to start screaming...
- In Soul Eater, Eruka and Asura do this when he wakes up for the first time in... over a century.
- In the twenty-seventh episode of Dragon Ball Z Abridged, Vegeta, Krillin and Gohan were screaming during their fight with Freeza.
Vegeta: "Healer's down!"
Krillin: "Need a res!"
Gohan: "Out of mana!"
Vegeta starts screaming and they all follow suit.
- In episode five of None Piece Usopp falls off a cliff, starts bleeding out of his forehead and screams. Zoro starts screaming and bleeding out of his forehead. Luffy starts screaming and bleeding purple paint out of his forehead.
- In ''Welcome To Ponyville'', if you let DJ Pon3 sleep with you, your character wakes up screaming from a nightmare. DJ Pon3 starts screaming as well.
DJ Pon3: *Screams*
You: "Why were you screaming?"
DJ Pon3: "I don't know, you were doing it, and it looked fun!"
- Happens in the Discworld book Maskerade, between Mr. Bucket and one of the ballet girls.
- A projective telepath in The Ear, the Eye and the Arm accidentally causes a psionic version of this when he thinks of a train and it scares a baby, whose fear scares him in turn. It's treated seriously, as part of how he's Blessed with Suck: if he hadn't interrupted the reaction in time, they could have both gone insane.
Live Action TV
- Done during the introduction of Lanolin and Bo in U.S. Acres.
- In Pokémon Sapphire, Whismur's Pokédex entry claims that it can inflict this trope on itself:
"Whismur is very timid. If it starts to cry loudly, it becomes startled by its own crying and cries even harder. When it finally stops crying, the Pokémon goes to sleep, all tired out."
- The opening for Rayman Origins. It starts with Ray realizing he's holding a skull, he screams, and not a second later everyone else does, even said skull.
- There's an episode of Baman Piderman that does this.
- In Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?'s segment on Final Fight, Anthony walks in on Ashly and begins to scream, then Ash follows and then their friends walked in and started to scream as well. One of them screamed so hard that his nose started to bleed (which was real and not scripted...).
- Another one has Anthony waking up finding and X on his back and screams once he sees Ash is carrying a knife. Ash also screams while explaining that she's imitating Shadow of the Colossus.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged: In Dragon Ball Kai Abridged Episode 1, Vegeta's yell of "It's over nine thousand!" quickly becomes this between him and Nappa.
- One particular sketch of AMV Hell III shows re-dubs a scream from Bleach into a reactive continuous scream, with all the other characters looking on in shock and confusion.
- This happens in one of the movies of the ASDF Movie series.
- At the beginning of The LeBrons episode "Gloria", this happens between Gloria and a grasshopper.
- Happens early on in the Scoutellite animation "The spoy's ultimate attack".
- Happens in A Very Potter Sequel when Ron pulls out his rat Scabbers, Harry starts screaming, only for Ron to join in.
- The page image is from The Emperor's New Groove:
Pacha: [referring to Kuzco]
AHHHH! Demon llama! Kuzco: [unaware he is a llama] Demon llama?! Where?! [looks around and finds himself face-to-face with Pacha's llama Misty]
- Used repeatedly in DreamWorks/Aardman's Flushed Away, between pampered house-rat Roddy and the Greek Chorus of sewer slugs.
- In The Lion King 1˝ when Timon and Pumbaa meet for the first time.
- Doctor Rockso from Metalocalypse has one such moment, played entirely for laughs:
Rockso: (whispers) I do cocaine.
- To clarify, Murderface was asleep on the couch and Rocko woke him up by sitting real close next to him and putting his hand in Murderface's pocket. That would make anyone scream.
Murderface: I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.
- In Phineas and Ferb this happens between Candace and Buford (who's dressed as Little Suzy Johnson) in "One Good Scare Oughta Do It!" Also happens between Candace and a squirrel in the episode "Comet Kermillion", after Little Suzy brings said squirrel out from behind her back.
- In the Regular Show episode "Brain Eraser", this happens when Mordecai walks in on a naked Pops.
- In Shark Tale with Ernie, Bernie and Oscar. They end up doing it twice in a row.'
- In Disney's Tarzan, Jane screams when first meeting Terk the gorilla, who is just as surprised.
- During the bar fight in Korgoth of Barbaria, Korgoth unleashes a brutal series injuries on the Giant Mook who challenges him one on one. All of the other mooks/victims, (virtually all of whom have also already been injured horribly by Korgoth) react by screaming in horror at each obit of brutality. Watch until the end and see for yourself.
- Xiaolin Showdown, In the episode "Panda Town" we get this gem of a moment with Wuya and Jack.
- Shows up in the second act of the Mr. Bogus episode "Beach Blanket Bogus", where a woman screams when she sees Bogus in her slushie cup, which also prompts Bogus to scream right back.
- In an episode of Total Drama Island, Cody wakes up to Noah sleep-kissing his ear. This results in about three seconds of them screaming at each other.
- Family Guy: In "Quagmire's Dad", following Brian's discovery regarding the titular person he slept with, Stewie and Brian have one of these little moments.
- "Into Harmony's Way" has an interesting variation of the two-person scream: Peter and Quagmire get freaked out by a bee and both start screaming, which results in them finding out their voices make great harmony, setting the stage for the episode.
- Teen Titans Go!: In "Parasite", Starfire celebrates one of her holidays, Feast Day, by serving everyone mouthworms. When Robin tries taking a bite of his, he and the mouthworm have one of these moments, ending with him disappearing via smoke bomb.