rapid-fire, surreal YouTube web cartoons produced by TomSka, partially adapting strips from asdfcomics, his webcomic. The skits are short, as are the movies overall, and the humour is random, but amusing in its own, strange way. If you can keep up. Or are similarly insane. You can see them all in this compilation if you haven't already.
The Videos (Works in the Series in Bold)
The short skits mean that knowing what's in them will spoil the (what can loosely be called) gags very easily, so we recommend you watch the movies before reading the trope list. It won't take long.If you'd love to experience asdfmovie in a book form, you're in luck — Tom published an asdfbook called Art is Dead (named after a Bo Burnham song) consisting of over 100 comics of old and new jokes. It was released on 21 October 2015.
- [TRAILER] asdfmovie (August 8, 2008): A trailer for the first movie.
- asdfmovie (August 10, 2008): The first movie. Also on Newgrounds.
- [asdfmovie] Deleted Scene (August 11, 2008): A Deleted Scene from the first movie.
- asdfmovie2 (January 1, 2010): The second movie.
- asdfmovie2: deleted scenes (January 8, 2010): Deleted Scenes from the second movie.
- marmite is terrible (asdfmite) (April 20, 2010): A short made for a Marmite Viral Marketing campaign.
- asdfcomp (July 17, 2010): The announcement of a competition to make a skit to be remade and used in the third movie. This competiton garnered over a thousand entries (most of them, naturally, obvious puns or Non Sequiturs without wit).
- asdfcomp - New Dog..........? (July 18, 2010): The entry that went on to win the competition.
- Ritalin'd (September 9, 2010): A Stylistic Suck-filled alternate third movie.
- asdfmovie Redux (Official) (November 11, 2010): A re-animated version of the first movie.
- asdfmovie3 (December 30, 2010): The third movie. Also on Newgrounds. The theme from its credits and from other videos by TomSka is available on Newgrounds and on SoundCloud.
- THE TWENTY MINUTE ASDFMOVIE (March 29, 2011): A Stylistic Suck-filled movie made in 20 minutes, possibly for April Fools' Day.
- TomSka Meets a Fangirl (August 18, 2011): A preview of the fourth movie and of other videos by TomSka.
- "asdfmovie song" by Lil Deuce Deuce (September 1, 2011): The full version of the theme from the preview and from the fourth movie's credits. The song and its instrumental version are available on Amazon.com and on iTunes.
- asdfmovie4 deutsch (September 2, 2011): A German dub of the fourth movie.
- asdfmovie4 (September 2, 2011): The fourth movie. Also on DeviantArt and on Newgrounds.
- I LIKE TRAINS (asdfmovie song) (September 23, 2011): The first music video. Also on deviantArt and on Newgrounds. The song is available on Amazon.com and on iTunes.
- I LIKE TRAINS (asdfmovie song) remix (September 30, 2011): The full version of the theme from the first music video's credits, a remix of the first music video itself. The song is available on Amazon.com and on iTunes.
- I LIKE SKYRIMS (January 30, 2012): A skit.
- asdfmovie5 trailer (May 3, 2012): A trailer for the fifth movie.
- asdfmovie5 (May 11, 2012): The fifth movie.
- Tom's Dog (asdfmovie5 theme) (May 12, 2012): The full version of the theme from the fifth movie's credits, from tomsdogdotcom, and from the Eddsworld video Eddsworld: Legacy (fundraiser). The song is available on Bandcamp and on iTunes. Originally made for the Voice Clip Song TomSka's song.
- Mineturtle (May 23, 2012): An extended version of a theme that was going to be used for the fifth movie's intro. The song is available on Bandcamp and on iTunes.
- MINE TURTLE (asdfmovie song) (June 22, 2012): The second music video. The song is available on Bandcamp, on Amazon.com, and on iTunes.
- Mine Turtle (feat. TomSka) (June 27, 2012): An alternate mix of the song from the second music video. The song is available on Bandcamp.
- asdfmovie6 (February 9, 2013): The sixth movie.
- "asdfmovie6 song" (February 9, 2013): The full version of the song from the sixth movie's credits, by Lil Deuce Deuce.
- DO THE FLOP. (February 9, 2013): A 10-minute-long remix by Lil Deuce Deuce of one of the skits from asdfmovie6, which features none other than the man himself as a character.
- DO THE FLOP. FOR REAL. (Feb 22, 2013): A 50 second feature that Lil Deuce Deuce found good enough to put a link on his DO THE FLOP video.
- asdfmovie6 song remix (March 8, 2013) A remix of the song from asdf 6's credits.
- asdfmovie7 (October 25, 2013): The seventh movie.
- asdfmovie: deleted scenes (November 7, 2013): Deleted jokes from all of the previous asdfmovie episodes.
- EVERYBODY DO THE FLOP (asdfmovie song): The third music video.
- asdfmovie8 (October 10, 2014): The eighth movie.
- asdfmovie9 (August 7, 2015): The ninth movie.
- asdfmovie10 (April 1, 2017): The long awaited tenth movie which is totally not an April Fool's joke.
- Beep Beep I'm a Sheep (feat. TomSka & BlackGryph0n) (April 1, 2017) The accompanying music video to the above, by Lil Deuce Deuce.
- Beep Beep I'm a Sheep: Youtube Comment Edition (April 15, 2017) A remix of the song by the same group, this time using various comments from the original video.
This series provides examples of:
- Absurd Phobia: A guy in 8 is afraid of backstories. His psychologist asks when it started, and he begins to scream in terror.
- Action Bomb:
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. (boom)"
- Mine Turtle.
- The man in the deleted scenes of 2 who got so upset over someone parking on his sandwich that he exploded.
- The man named Steven in 9 who will explode if he stops singing. Unfortunately, someone had to stop and say hi.
- Actually, I Am Him: "I am your sandwich."
- Adaptation Expansion: The asdfmovie songs take a skit that involves a very simple joke and actually gives it a fully-developed backstory, almost turning the featured characters into three-dimensional beings.
- All Women Love Shoes: Even when they are chairs, women love shoes.
- Ambiguously Gay: The ducks in the fifth movie."...quack."
"I was just about to say that!
"We are so in sync!"
- Ambiguous Syntax: Exploited in 10. Twice.
- First time:Man 1: You know what I hate? Child murderers.
Man 2: Oh no, here comes one now!
(Both men flee as a child wielding a knife comes after them)
- Second time:Teacher: Hey, kids, do you want to draw?
Children all shouting in agreement.
Teacher: Okay! [pulls out a gun] Draw!
Mass shoot-out between teacher and students.
- First time:
- Animate Inanimate Object:
- While it's never shown to move, the chair in the fourth movie can talk. It is female, by the way.
- Also the evil tie and parking meter from the first movie.
- Not to mention the door from the sixth movie.
- The basketball in the tenth movie who deliberately bounces away from a girl and causes her to get hit by a car.
- Animation Bump: In the "I Like Trains" video: "I FEEL GREAT!"
- Anthropomorphic Food: The potato.
- There's also a cake in the first episode, who a guy cuts, but is unaware that the cake is alive. The cake then commits suicide by jumping off the table.
- In the sixth episode, there is a burger that announces that it used to be a cow.
- In the seventh and eighth episodes, a muffin who tries to get someone to eat him.
- Anti Humour: The Pointless Button scene.
- Apocalypse How: A deleted scene has a guy spilling a glass of milk. Somehow, the average-sized glass was able to hold enough milk to drown everyone.
- April Fools' Day: The twenty minute movie was made and released two days before this day.
- Averted with asdfmovie10, which was released on April 1, 2017 but is not a joke video.
- Are We There Yet?: In a deleted scene of asdfmovie2, an astronaut that keeps asking this question (presumably) annoys another astronaut so much that he just says yes and then leaves him outside the rocket, stranding him in space.
- Armies Are Evil: The military in the sixth movie shoots down a magical flying pony for no reason other than being evil.
- Armoured Closet Gay: The "You know who's gay?" guy turns out to have been this in Deleted Scenes
- Artistic License – Paleontology: Parodied by the sauropod who calls himself a Stegosaurus.
- Art Evolution: The first three installments were arguably stiff. From the fourth film on, the animation became more fluid and the characters more expressive.
- Art Shift: The first four asdfmovies (and the "I LIKE TRAINS" music video) were each animated by completely different people, which resulted in a fair few somewhat noticeable aesthetic differences. However, from 6 onwards, all asdf-related media is handled by the same animator - Ben 'Wonchop' Smallman.
- Most of the 'Drunk Science' backstory in the Mine Turtle song is drawn in a much different style, although this is more of a Continuity Nod; instead of playing off prior asdfmovie skits like the rest of the song, it refers to another TomSka video, done in a different style.
- In-Universe, a character pulls a switch that causes the entire world to become coloured (and naked), causing an exaggerated freak-out moment.
- One gag in 10 has the characters being rendered in 3-D.Man: It's medication time! (Takes medication and they shift back into 2D) This is better.
- Ascended Extra: The music videos tend to do this for whoever they're about, taking a one note punchline character (the I Like Trains Kid, Mine Turtle and the Do The Flop Guy so far) and giving them a backstory.
- Ate His Gun: A fat guy in asdfmovie10 looks like he's about to do this, but proceeds to take a bite of the gun.
- Ax-Crazy: People fire off guns, attack each other and summon random large objects with complete abandon.
- Badass Adorable: The Mine Turtle. Cute as a button, but will blow you up if you step on him.
- Badass Baritone:
- The potato, during his brief bout of badassery in the second movie.
- Also the big baby in movie 8, who happens to be voiced by the sultry-voiced Markiplier.
- Bait and Switch: A guy is asked to hold a live bomb. The guy who gave him the bomb comes back a few seconds later and takes it back. No explosion, next skit. In fact, the frame before the scene transition contains a flash bug, causing the fuse to grow back.
- "This is a robbery." *dramatic sting and close-up* *hangs up and walks away*. Next skit.
- "WARNING POINTLESS BUTTON" is pointless.
- In 8, a magician asks a boy, "Would you like to see a magic trick?". The boy, with a smile on his face, says... "No."
- Also in 8:Narrator: And now, a cow pretending to be a man.
Guy 1: Alan, are you a cow?
Alan: What? No!
Cow Pretending To Be A Man: Yeah, me neither. You want to go skateboards?
- In the fifth movie, a man is seen going up to the edge of a cliff. When he gets right to the end, he floats away.
- Girl 1: Hey, you want to play catch the knife?Girl 2: Sure! *gets shot in the face*Girl 1: Man, I suck at this game.
- Since asdfmovie is a comedy series, we have a Banana Peel lying around in 9. And then a banana appears, shocked.
- In 10:
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: "Hey babe. Are you an angel? Because I'm allergic to feathers."
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Presumably played straight with Desmond the Moon Bear, who seems to be perfectly fine living and speaking on the moon without a spacesuit. Bluntly subverted the next time we see him, where his reduced-to-bone corpse is still on the moon.
- Bears are Bad News: Invoked in the sixth movie.
- Averted with Desmond, the moon bear.
- Be Careful What You Wish For:
- From number four, both the boy who wants to be a pie and the girl who wants to go to the moon.
- And the time-traveler, who gets stepped on by a "Stegosaurus" upon arrival.
- Number ten features a kid who wishes he could fly and flies off like a balloon... then crashes into the ceiling.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: The trumpeter in the sixth movie.
- Big "NO!":
- "No, llama, NOOOOOO!"
- "Die Potato!" "Nooooooooooooo!"
- "Oh no, I spilled my milk!" "You've killed us all!" "NOOOOOOOOOO—(drowns)"
- "Billy, nooo!!!"
- "Billy, nein!!!"
- "I AM PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!" "NOOOOOOOOO-"
- "Oh, NOOOOO--" is quite appropriate just before punching yourself in the face because it's Opposite Day.
- As well as when someone steps forward for his part in a barbershop quartet and hears a click, followed by 'Hello!'.
- "I'm going to punch your face... in the face." "NOOOO—(zoom to face within face)—OOOOO!"
- "Oh no, giant flying sheep!" "...Those are clouds." "NOOOOOOOO!"
- "I'm sorry, Jim, but I'm going to have to let you go." "No, please! NOOOOOOOOO!"note
- Big "YES!": In a deleted scene of 2.
- Black Comedy: A lot of the jokes deal with death or violence in some way, often involving suicide.
"Jimmy, take out the dog""Yes, mother." *YELP!*"...for a walk, Jimmy!"
- The seventh movie has a lot more of this in comparison to the previous six.
- Likewise, 9 has a noticeably large amount of this:
*guy is about to jump off a building*
- 10 kicks off with this.
Bystander: Nooooo! Don't jump!
*pulls out a camera and starts recording*
Bystander: OK, now jump!
- The Blank: ASDF Movie 4: "Well, I stole your face!"
- Blatant Lies: Also doubles as Bad Liar. The puppy in six."Oh, careful, honey; he [the dog] has a knife!"
"What? No, no I don't."
- Blessed with Suck:
- Tree powers, activate!
- Invisible Billy. Playing catch with him using a frisbee is difficult (and quite lethal), to say the least.
- Bloody Hilarious: Especially when a character gets shot in the face. Almost everything is in black and white, even flames, but blood is made red anyway.
- Boom, Headshot:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The very end of asdfmovie9; after a rather dark joke is made, the recipient of the joke laughs briefly before the camera zooms in on his face at which point he looks directly at the viewer and sternly says "Comedy."
- Breakout Character: Lots of these. Tom has even gone on record as saying that he enjoys creating at least one consistent character for each episode (where the skits typically adhere to Negative Continuity) to see if they'll stoke interest with the fans.
- Following his debut in the second movie, the "I Like Trains" kid was apparently liked enough to show up in the third movie as well as in taking a starring in LilDeuceDeuce's "I Like Trains" music video. There was even a fad around about the time of the fourth movie where various YouTubers twisted around the wording of the original phrasing.
- Brick Joke: Let's just say that if there's an original joke, it'll show up again in another episode with a new twist on it.
- In the second movie:
- The "I Like Trains" kid says "I like trains." to his dad. It runs over someone else instead in the next skit.
- Desmond the Moonbear is questioning why he's on the moon. In the seventh he succumbed to the uninhabitable surface on the moon.
- A driving llama falls off a cliff. In the fifth movie, it lands on someone.
- In the third movie, a guy named Joey climbs into a friend's mouth. In the fourth movie, he crawls out.
- In the fourth movie:
- the newspaper headline says the potato died.
- A piano lands on someone. In the fifth movie, someone lands on a piano.
- In the fifth movie, a kid wonders if his pony can fly, which it does. In the sixth movie, the pony is spotted and shot down by some gunmen. In the Deleted Scenes, the slain pony's head falls on a man, who says "I LOVE IT!" while giving a thumbs up.
- In the second movie:
- The Bus Came Back: The "I Like Trains" Kid in 9, although in a phone call rather than in person.
- Call Back:
- All over the place in the Mine Turtle music video.
- The "Stegosaurus" returns in the deleted scenes.
- The I Like Trains Kid returns in asdfmovie9 via a callnote , and he is heard offscreen in asdfmovie10 when two guys talk about a "trainsgender" guy.
- The cow from asdfmovie8 returns in the final skit of asdfmovie10; after a sheep saying "beep beep, I'm a sheep" turns into a catchy song, the cow appears and tries doing the same thing by saying "meow meow, I'm a cow" only for one of the sheep to cut him off.
- The Cameo:
- Spamcat from Bing and Spamcat and TFL: Late (bing and spamcat 2) appears in the Ritalin'd movie.
- From asdf movie 6, Jason Steele from Film Cow, Duke from Dukerecordings and DukeLovesYou, and Michael Stevens from Vsauce provides a few lines.
- From 7 and 8, Sam Lavagnino (a.k.a Catbug) plays a upbeat, suicidal muffin, complete with a plug.
- Kylie Minogue, of all people, guest stars in a skit in 8.
- Markiplier and PewDiePie made a few cameos in 8. Mark also cameos in 9.
- Danisnotonfire and Amazing Phil lent their voices for a skit in 9, and another in 10.
- From the "Everybody Do The Flop" song, The Living Tombstone, Steve, Hatsune Miku, the Scout, and Sonic the Hedgehog appear around the 0:47 minute mark.
- Monokuma pops up in one of the preview shots of all of the videos taking after The Flop too, around the 0:42 mark.
- JackSepticEye cameos in the opening skit of 10.
- Jacksfilms appears in 10, and so does his girlfriend.
- Carnivore Confusion: Inverted. The muffin from episode 7 wants to be eaten, but none of the people he meets want to eat him.
- Centipede's Dilemma: One man is told to not think about cats. He immediately begins spewing cats from his mouth.
- Character Level: *punches a random guy in the face* LEVEL UP!
- Chest Burster: "Hey guy, hey, smell my flower."
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: The Breakout Character "I Like Trains" kid disappears after the third movie. Enforced, as his voice actor Edd Gould passed away, and presumably The Character Died with Him. He's made cameo appearances since though, which are either voiceless or use archived audio.
- The potato from the "Die Potato" skits, a recurring skit in the first 3 movies, is absent from the fourth movie onward.
- Killed Off for Real: If you look closely at the newspaper the man's reading in the fourth movie, the headline story reads "Potato Found Dead". Meaning someone finally did kill him.
- The potato from the "Die Potato" skits, a recurring skit in the first 3 movies, is absent from the fourth movie onward.
- *Click* Hello: A variant due to Mine Turtle.
- Cloudcuckooland: All of the characters are completely out of touch with the reality we know. For good reason.
- Comedic Sociopathy
- Continuity Cavalcade: The Mine Turtle song.
- Cool Shades: The potato in the second movie, as well as the "I Like Trains" kid in the I Like Trains song. Additionally, the "Do the Flop" guy.
- Crapsaccharine World: Vibrant, whimsical, erratic, and casually murderous are all fitting descriptors.
- Creator Cameo: Twice in Mine Turtle: two versions of Ridgewell appear - his Eddsworld Author Avatar (as a sphinx in one of turtle's photos) and the "realistic" version, which created the first Mine Turtle.
- Creepy Child: The "I Like Trains" kid.
- Like Father, Like Son: His dad is creepy too.
- Curse Cut Short: In the deleted scenes:Man: (hanging from a cliff) Save me, superhero guy!Hero: No.Man: You're a diiiiiiiii...!
- Cuteness Overload: "I'm allergic to adorableness!"
- Dance Sensation: "Everybody do the FLOP!" (thud)
- A ten-minute video was made out of this two-second gag.
- Then there was a fan-made "Real Life" version.
- A ten-minute video was made out of this two-second gag.
- Darker and Edgier: asdfmovie7 stands out as being the darkest entry in the series by far; notably, there's a lot more jokes involving death and suicide. Doesn't stop it from being over-the-top and silly though.
- While it is no asdfmovie7, asdfmovie9 is markedly darker than asdfmovie8; while it has nowhere the amount of jokes about suicide, it amps up the Black Comedy to the point it stands firmly as the second darkest asdfmovie.
- Death Seeker: The muffin in asdfmovie 7 and 8. And he looks so happy about it!
- Department of Redundancy Department: "POINTLESS BUTTON: Warning, pointless"
- Deliberately Monochrome: Other than the occasional Splash of Color. Lampshaded in episode 7 when the characters turn on the color and are freaked out by it for the rest of the video, presumably because everyone's naked.
- Depth Deception:
- In asdfmovie 4, that kid trying to grab a ball thrown at him isn't standing far away. He's just really small. And gets squished under the ball.
- One deleted asdfmovie9 gag showed two people looking at a paper airplane...that promptly flew down and crushed them both (judging by the splattery blood trails).
- Deranged Animation
- Disappeared Dad: The final joke of asdfmovie9.Person 1: "Hey! Wanna see an impression of my dad?"
Person 2: Sure.
(Person 1 is suddenly gone)
- Disproportionate Retribution:
- "Now, son, don't touch that cactus!" *kid levitates and attaches himself to the cactus* "YOU'RE DEAD TO ME."
- "Honey, why is the baby on fire?" "BUY ME MORE JEWELRY!"
- "BANANA FIGHT!" (gunshot) "NO!"
- "Do you know who's gay? You." (stabbed in the chest) "Aw, come on!"
- "Do you know who's gay? Y— *Hit by a train*
- "Nice hat." "Thanks!" "I was being sarcastic." "Well, I stole your face!" *Man grabs his face to find out it is indeed gone*
- Inverted: "ALIEN ATTACK!!!" "Throw the CHEEEEEESE!!!!!"
- "Hey, it says 'Gullible' on the ceiling." "... Oh, so it doe— Aww, ye stole my lungs."
- "Got your nose!" *Door kicked down* "LOOK OUT!!! HES GOT A NOSE!!!!" *Bangbangbangbangbang*
- Dissonant Serenity: In the deleted scenes, the guy turning the jack-in-the-box in the middle of a murder scene with several bloody corpses strewn about.
- Don't Try This at Home: At the end of the Ritalin'd movie.
- The Door Slams You:"Knock knock!"
- Dramatic Gun Cock: "Die, potato!" (click) "NOT TODAY."
- Driven to Suicide: "Goodbye, world." "World: "Okay, Jim, I'll see you around! Where ya goi-AWW OH NO! Aw that's not what I thought he meant by that at all!"
- The cake in the first one throws himself off of the table in front of his 2 little cupcakes.
- "Quick, shoot me in the face!" *headshot*
- "You'll never take me alive!", *trumpet sound*
- "Wanna eat a muffin?" "No thanks." "But I wanna die!"
- Every second skit in asdfmovie7 is related to suicide in some way.
- Dull Surprise: Two guys standing around. One guy crawls out of someone from the previous movie, with another guy watching.Other guy: "Oh."
- A guy walks off a ledge only to fall upward...Guy: Oh, okay.
- Yet another guy wonders whether his pony can fly. It can.Guy: Huh.
- And another wonders what a button does...Guy: Ooh, I wonder what this does?[presses button]Guy: Oh, I'm gay now. Huh.
- A guy walks off a ledge only to fall upward...
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first three films had significantly slower pacing, stiffer animation and at least one skit that went on longer than five seconds, all of which greatly improved by the fourth one.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: The "Mine Turtle" music video ends with the Earth exploding because of the Mine Turtles.
- Edible Ammunition: "THROW THE CHEEEEEESE!!!'" It doesn't work.
- Enfant Terrible: The child murderer in 10.
- Everything's Better With Dinosa-*stomped* "I AM A STEG-O-SAURUS!"
- This particular skit is repeated in the Mine Turtle music video, resulting in the "Stegosaurus" being blown up by the Mine Turtle. Then a whole army of Mine Turtles comes out of the time machine, leading to a hilarious instance of Phlebotinum Killed the Dinosaurs.
- Everything's Better with Llamas: Though trying to teach one to drive may not be the best of ideas...
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: "Doctor, I think I might be a homosexual." "How can you tell?" "RAAAINBOOOOOWS"
- "Doing an internet" makes a rainbow come out of the computer.
- The trains in "I Like Trains" produce rainbows.
- Evil Laugh: From the evil tie.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The basketball in 10.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The Pointless Button.
- Exact Words:
- The Mad Scientist in asdfmovie2 who admittedly did teach a llama to drive...although not very well, judging by the llama driving off a cliff.
- In the "deleted scenes" video, a doctor tells a man that he has brain cancer, but due to sudden pineapples, he is instantly cured...because his head becomes a pineapple.
- In 10, a guy says "You want a piece of me?" When the other responds affirmatively, the first guy rips a piece of himself off and gives it to the guy.
- Eye Scream:
"Ha ha, now you're blind!"
- In 6, a man is told carrots are good for one's eyesight. He jams carrots into his eyes.
- Major Injury Underreaction: All the man does after jamming the carrots into his eyes is remark that the other guy lied to him.
- In the "deleted scenes" video, a man is told by an unseen voice to look towards them. He does so, and his eyes begin pulsating and sizzling is heard, and it's revealed that the voice belonged to the Sun.
- In 6, a man is told carrots are good for one's eyesight. He jams carrots into his eyes.
- Failed a Spot Check: "Hey, guys, check out my new camera." *headshot* "Oh, wait, this isn't a camera."
- Finger Gun: This is how the kid in the fourth movie mugs the mugger.
- Flying Saucer: Which gets cheese thrown at it.
- Follow the Leader: asdf in Real Life, asdf in LEGO, asdf in Minecraft, asdf in Happy Wheels, asdf in Modern Warfare 3, asdf in Black Ops 2. All of them play the audio of one or multiple of the asdf videos and attempt to get them to look as close to possible as the original. They meet with varying degrees of success. It got a point where they made a website with all the best remakes and remixes of the various videos and spin-offs.
- Food Fight: Defied in 4.Guy: Banana fight!(guy gets shot from offscreen)Offscreen: NO!!
- Freeze-Frame Bonus:
- In the trailer for the fifth movie, Tom's dog's dog tag briefly shows the face of the "I Like Trains" kid before switching to "TOM'S DOG"
- In the third movie's skit with the bomb, the fuse goes back to its original height for a single frame at the end, though this is most likely just a Blooper (as it doesn't seem to happen in the Newgrounds version).
- In the 5th movie, right before the car lands on the guy next to Mine Turtle, you can see a smile on his face for a SPLIT second.
- The guys who do the flop frown as they fall to the ground.
- A potato appears by the dragon in the I Like Skyrims video after the dragonborn Ersatz summoned a train with his shout.
- In the "Mine Turtle" music video, the mad scientist who taught a llama to drive can be very briefly seen in one scene, looking at a llama in a petting zoo.
- During the "Everybody Do the Flop" music video, a newspaper featuring the Flop mentions an "Increase in Standing Up School Dropouts". Also, there is a book titled "I Wish I Knew How to Come Up with Humorous Book Titles".
- French Jerk: He won't run out of muffins because he works at ze muffin factory.
- Furry Denial: The Cow Pretending to Be a Man.Person: Alan, are you a cow?Alan: What? No!Cow Pretending to Be a Man: Yeah, me neither.
- Generation Xerox: It's implied in 2 that the I Like Trains Kid's love for trains is taken from his father.
- Genius Loci: The Earth in asdfmovie3, the Moon in asdfmovie5, Saturn and the Sun in asdfmovie7, and the Sun again in the deleted scenes.
- Giant Foot of Stomping: Courtesy of the "Stegosaurus."
- Gone Horribly Wrong: In the third music video, The Do The Flop Guy's dance craze starts to go downhill when someone does the flop onto a Mine Turtle, and it only worse from there. Turns out that falling flat onto your face can be bad for your health.
- Gratuitous German: The fourth movie was made in German... on an English only channel just because.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: Two in the third one, namely "I AM PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!" and "YOU'RE DEAD TO ME!".
- Plus one more at the beginning of the sixth one.
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": Do The Flop Guy's real name is revealed to be Dougal Flopguy in the third music video.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Hilarious combination of Opposite Day and Big "NO!" in the fifth movie.
- Hollywood Silencer: Jimmy, from the beginning of 9, uses a pistol with one to take out the dog.
- Homosexual Reproduction: One of two potential punchlines in 9, where a woman excitedly tells her lover that she's pregnant. We then learn that her lover is a woman, who is understandably confused.
- Hugh Mann: The Cow Pretending to be a Man in 8. His "disguise" consists of a hat and a skateboard.
- I Fell for Hours: The driving llama from asdfmovie 2 had been falling for years before showing up in #5.
- I Have a Family: "AHHH! Why would you do this? I have a wife and family!"
- I Have No Son: "Now, son, don't touch that cactus." *son levitates and attaches himself to the cactus* ''YOU'RE DEAD TO ME."
- I'm a Humanitarian:
- Slight variation in asdfmovie3: "Joey, did you eat my sandwich?" "I am your sandwich."
- The guy in asdfmovie9 who asks "Are you gonna eat that?" and points at something..with the next shot showing that he's pointing at a baby.
- Considering that she responds with "No, you can have it.", she may be one as well.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: In asdfmovie9, a man getting ready to do a pole vault gets randomly impaled by a jousting knight right before he lifts off the ground.
- Implausible Deniability: A talking dog claims that he isn't holding a knife. Said knife Sticks to the Back and is not covered in any way. Bonus points for the dog being a Bad Liar.
- Impossible Theft:
- "I stole your face!"
- "Aww, ye stole my lungs."
- Improbable Weapon User: THROW THE CHEEEEEEEESE!
- Infant Immortality: Seemingly averted: "Honey, why is the baby on fire?" but actually played straight in that the baby suffers no ill effects and actually smiles whilst still being on fire.
- No One Could Survive That!: Some kids seem indestructible; to wit the "I Like Trains" kid and his assumed Spiritual Successor the airplane baby. (Then again, they could be asdf's version of Kenny.)
- Averted with the girl drawing a bear... on a real bear. (CHOMP)
- Subverted with the girl who jaywalks, thanks to the "Stegosaurus".
- I Resemble That Remark!: Two characters try to hold an intervention for Larry who keeps snapping people's necks without realizing it. He denies having such a problem then snaps their necks too.
- Is There a Doctor in the House?: In the sixth movie, when a guy standing beside someone lying on the ground and choking:Guy: Is anybody here a doctor?
Doctor: I am!
Guy: Well you're a nerd! *high-fives choking guy*
- It Only Works Once: Throwing cheese at a Flying Saucer causes an explosion in the twenty minute movie but has no noticeable effect in the fourth movie.
- Jerkass: Marmite
- Killed Mid-Sentence:
- "You know who's gay? Y-" *run over by a train*
- "It worked! My time machine wor-" *crushed by a dinosaur*
- "Knock Knock" Joke:Door: Knock Knock!
Guy: Who's there?
Door: The door!
Reflection: Knock knock!
- In asdfmovie8:
Guy: Who's there?
Reflection: A mirror!
Guy: I am lonely.
- Mine Turtle Goes Click: "Hello! :D" (button on shell is pressed) *BOOM!*
- Bringing an entirely new meaning to *Click* Hello.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others:Girl: I like singing!
Boy: I like dancing!
"I Like Trains" kid: I like trains.
- Let's Meet the Meat:
Off-screen voice: Hello, burger!
- From asdfmovie6:
Burger: I used to be a cow!
Off-screen voice: Oh.
- Non-meat example in 7, but it's still a suicidal muffin asking to be eaten.
- Literal Genie: The twenty-minute movie provides a meta-example, as rather than being 20 minutes long, it was made in 20 minutes — the commenter who inspired it said to make one for 20 minutes, after all.
- A kid in 10 wishes to be able to fly. A genie grants his wish, at which point he floats into the air and splatters against the ceiling.
- One character is told carrots are good for one's eyesight. He tries to test it by jamming two large carrots into his eye-sockets.
- One guy tells another to turn his frown upside-down. He does...along with the rest of his head.
- But he was smiling when he did that, so...
- Another character, about to shoot himself, says "goodbye, world". The Earth then says "Okay, Jimmy, where you headed? OH! OH GOD! That's not what I thought he meant by that at all!"
- A boss tells his employee Jim that he has to let him go. Jim turns out to be a balloon that is literally let go.
- A sad fat guy moans that he doesn't want to be fat anymore and puts a gun into his mouth...only to start eating it. He literally Ate His Gun.
- Made of Explodium: The Mine Turtle.
- A guy in 9 must keep singing or else he'll explode. He's distracted by someone saying hello and has only enough time to say "What have you done!?" before exploding.
- A guy in 10 jumps off the edge of a pool to do a cannonball and just keeps flying. He ends up flying into and exploding on the side of a pirate ship.
- Made of Plasticine: Invisible Billy is sliced by a mere frisbee.
- The guy who asks whether the other guy wants a piece of him... and then casually tears off a piece of his own body.
- Major Injury Underreaction:
- You'd think that being asked to hold a knife and then getting stabbed by said knife would elicit a less silent reaction.
- In 9, a kid asks a pregnant mother if her child can "come out to play". The baby casually bursts out through the mom's stomach, and no one thinks anything wrong about it.
- From 2: "Aw, you stole my lungs." Said as though he's merely mildly irritated at the inconvenience.
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: About 99% of the jokes are this.
- "I AM PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!"
- Man on Fire:
- "Marmite, why does no one like you?" *guy catches fire* "Oh yeah."
- "Honey, why is the baby on fire?" "BUY ME MORE JEWELRY!"
- Megaton Kick: "When I grow up, I wanna go to the moon!" "Why wait?"
- Moment Killer: The Moon in the fifth movie.
- Mood Whiplash: "I'm allergic to adorableness!" *Kitten lands on face* "Awwwwww." *Cut to his tombstone*
- Mugging the Monster: In the fourth movie."You're getting mugged, kid."
"No, you're getting mugged."
(The kid mugs the mugger with only his fingers. The mugger lampshades it despite throwing his hands in the air and shaking with fear)
"DAAH! HOW THE HELL'S THAT EVEN WORK!?!"
- Mundane Made Awesome: The Series.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The cake segment. Complete with a Big "NO!" at the end.
- Naked People Are Funny: An Art Shift gag in 7 reveals every single person so far has been naked this whole time, the monochromatic art style just didn't make it obvious.
- Neck Snap:
- One character tells another to turn their frown upside down. They do.
- In another video, two characters try to hold an intervention for Larry, who keeps doing this to people without realizing it. He denies having such a problem, then snaps their necks too.
- Never Learned to Read: "Ahaha, I can't read."
- Nice Hat: "Thanks." "I was being sarcastic." "Well I stole your face." (Guy slaps his own blank face and finds it gone)
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In the seventh movie, when some people are trying to stop somebody from jumping off the building, the flop guy from the sixth movie comes in and does his dance. Everybody flops including the one from the building.
- Nightmare Face:
- "YOU'RE DEAD TO ME."
- "I AM PUNCHING YOUR SALAD!"
- No Name Given: There usually isn't enough time.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Marmite.
- The Noseless: Pretty much everyone, due to the art style. No wonder the cop was so freaked out by the "got your nose" guy.
- Not Like Other Girls: A girl in the tenth movie claims this. Why?"I have..snake arms."
- Obliviously Evil: Larry, who keeps breaking people's necks, and doesn't even know he's doing it.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Played with."And now: the funniest thing you've ever seen, from really far away."
- Opposite Day: In the fifth movie, a bully goes to punch another guy in the face, but when reminded of what day it is, the bully shouts "OH NOOO—" as he punches himself in the face.
- Organ Theft: Lungs, specifically. Also a face was stolen in the fourth movie..
- Orphaned Punchline: The funniest thing you've ever seen, from really far away. The first line is almost impossible to hear properly, the rest of it is much clearer.(Explosion)
- Paper-Thin Disguise:
- The Cow-Pretending-to-Be-a-Man wears a baseball cap backwards and carries a skateboard.
- One of the sheep in the "Beep Beep I'm a Sheep" video has "COW" written on his side for the "Meow Meow I'm a Cow" stanza.
- Parental Abandonment: "I think we should just be friends." (beat) "Mother..."
- Phlebotinum Killed the Dinosaurs: Played for Laughs in the Mine Turtle music video; see Everything's Better with Dinosaurs.
- Piano Drop: "Whose idea was this?!"
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The butterfly in the ninth movie that lifts a girl up by her finger and takes her away."She's mine now, John."
- Pokémon Speak: The "I Like Trains" kid usually only ever says... well, guess.
- Properly Paranoid: "My tie is evil and it's going to kill meeeeeeee..."
- Rail Enthusiast: The "I Like Trains" kid.
- Rapid Aging: The kid's birthday present is got older to turn an elder.First Person: Hey, what did you get for your birthday
Second Person: I got...older!
First Person: (Laughs)
Second Person: (Quickly turns elderly)
First Person: AAAAAAAAAAH- That is weird...
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: Especially with skits lasting several seconds on average.
- Reactive Continuous Scream: The guy whose face got punched in the face. He starts screaming, and it zooms in to his face's face, who is also screaming but at a higher pitch.
- Reality Ensues:
- Desmond the Moon Bear is seen again in episode 7. He's dead. No air on the moon, you know.
- In the fourth episode, aliens attack. A onlooker heroically yells, "Throw! The! CHEESE!" People then throw a ton of cheese... and it all just bounces off the spaceship.
- Partway through the music video "Everybody Do The Flop", the "Do The Flop" guy eventually comes to realize the obvious dangers of falling down onto one's face. He then spends some time to try to come up with a new sensation, only to give up when he realize it's tough to force a new fad onto the public.
- Recursive Reality:
- "I'm gonna punch your face... in the face!"
- "I baked you a pie!" "Oh boy! What flavor?!" "PIE FLAVOR."
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Mine Turtle.
- Rule of Three: A notable trait in the videos, starting with the "I like trains" kid. These gags appear early in the movie, typically to introduce the character, again towards the middle, and then at the very end to lead into the credits. Sometimes they will make an appearance in the next movie (or movies) as well. Examples include the "I Like Trains" kid, the mine turtle, the suicidal muffin, the skateboarding cow pretending to be a man, the sheep, and the pineapples. The potato, while only appearing once in each movie, appears a total of three times.
- Running Gag:
"You guys want to go skateboards?"
- "Die, potato!"
- I like trains.
- Hello! *BOOM*
- The happy muffin who wants to be eaten.
- In the deleted scenes, "SUDDENLY, PINEAPPLES".
- The cow pretending to be a man.
- BEEP BEEP, I'M A SHEEP.
- Schmuck Bait: The "Pointless Button". It does absolutely nothing.
- The Scottish Trope / Speak of the Devil:
- "I like trains."
- "Piano!" *Piano Drop* "Whose idea was this?!"
- Serial Killer: Larry, who keeps snapping people's necks without realizing it. When two characters try to hold an intervention for him, he denies having such a problem then snaps their necks too.
- Shaped Like Itself:
- "PIE FLAVOUR!!!"
- "I'm gonna punch your face! IN THE FACE." The victim turns out to have a tiny face on his face.
- Shipper on Deck: The Moon in asdfmovie 5."Hey! You two should kiss!"
- Shoot the Dog: Literally! The 9th movie opens with a boy misinterpreting his mother's request to "take out the dog"."...for a walk, Jimmy!"
- One of the people shown doing the Flop in the EVERYBODY DO THE FLOP music video is a LEGO Minifig with a shirt reading "I ♥ Chase McCain".
- "Honey, why is the baby on fire?" "BUY ME MORE JEWELRY!" from ASDF 3 is a reference to The Sims.
- Tom's asdf-comic book Art is Dead is named after a Bo Burnham song.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender:
- "When I grow up I want to go to the moon!" "Why wait?"
- Many of asdfmovie 7's gags involve women and death.
- Something Completely Different: "And now, Ducks."
- Spiritual Successor: To the Eddsworld videos Tom's Tales Of Awesome, Edd's tales of Boredom, and Tom's Tales of Brilliance. Tom even admitted it on Eddsworld's twitter.
- Splash of Colour:
- Apart from blood, rainbows, Marmite, Evil Tie flash, and the brief scene in 7 when everything is in color (and the characters promptly freak out because it's revealed that they're naked) everything is black and white.
- The Stylistic Suck-filled THE TWENTY MINUTE ASDFMOVIE has foodstuffs colored in.
- Spontaneous Choreography: "Everybody do The Flop!"
- Staging an Intervention: Two characters try to hold an intervention for Larry who keeps snapping people's necks without realizing it. He he denies having such a problem then snaps their necks too.
- Staircase Tumble: In the ninth movie...until it's revealed that the person's falling up the stairs.
- "Hey, Bobby! Play that one about falling down the stairs!"
- Standard '50s Father: The "I Like Trains" kid has one.
- Apparently so does the little girl in the sixth movie.
- Stealth Pun: In the sixth film, the kid doesn't say it, but he likes planes.
- The Stinger: "You ever get tired of being random?" *Beat* "Me neither."
- Straight Gay: The guy who pushes the button in Movie 9.Oh, I’m gay now. Huh.
- Stuff Blowing Up: All over the Mine Turtle music video. Justified because, you know, Mine Turtles.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: Everybody do the flop!
- Beep beep, I'm a sheep! I said beep beep, I'm a sheep.
- Stylistic Suck: The Ritalin'd and twenty minute movies.
- Subverted Trope: A lot of the humor is derived by doing the complete opposite/something different than what you're expecting to see. Also, the second and third movie repeat and subvert some earlier skits.
- Two women prepare to play "Catch the Knife." The first woman shoots the other instead. "Man, I suck at this game!"
- Suicide by Cop: "Quick! Shoot me in the face!"
- Superdickery: "Save me, Superguy!" "No." "You're a diiiick!" *splat*
- Surreal Humor: Tons.
- Take a Third Option:Drill Sergeant Nasty: "What are you, a man, or a mouse!?"
- Take That!: Deleted Scenes features a nasty one towards The Annoying Orange.Father watching son making an orange and an apple talk: Well, we failed. (cocks shotgun) Don't look, honey.
- Talking Animal: Mine Turtle. The ducks are a more unusual case; when one of them quacks, the other remarks (in English) how he was just about to say the same thing.
- The cow pretending to be a man.
- The sheep in 10.
- Teens Are Monsters: Spoofed:Police officer: Ma'am, I'm afraid I've caught your son doing... homework.
Mom: Where have I gone wrong?!
- There Can Only Be One: Unless you like dying from getting stabbed in the chest, don't say your boyfriend said you were the most beautiful girl in the world.
- There Was a Door: The Trains from the "I Like Trains" kid. Justified because, well, they're trains.
- Taken to ridiculous extremes in the "I Like Trains" music video, where at points, the trains come out of a wedding cake, go ''several times'' through the windows of churches, vertically through the ceiling to get rid of a bad date, and through space.
- They Called Me Mad! / Mad Scientist: They said he could never teach a llama to drive. He probably should have listened.
- Tom, who created the Mine Turtle.
- They Killed Kenny Again:
- Every time The "I Like Trains" Kid appears, he or someone near him gets hit by a train.
- The Mine Turtle blows up in all but one of the skits it's in. It's shown in the song that there is actually an entire army worth of Mine Turtles (who then go on to explode the dinosaurs).
- Either The "Die, Potato" Guy, the Potato, or both die in all of their skits.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: In asdfmovie9."Are you hungry?"
"No, I'm crazy!"
(crazy person is staring at cactus with hamburger balanced on it)
- Also in 10.Clay figure 1: What time is it?
Clay figure 2: It's medication time!
(art style shifts from 3D figures to usual 2D style)
Guy 2: This is better.
- Also in 10.
- Too Dumb to Live: Billy. He baked himself into being a pie ("I want to be a pie").
- Train Song: The "I Like Trains" song, though it's about the "I Like Trains" kid rather than the trains themselves.
- Transflormation: "Tree powers, activate!" Doesn't really work, though.
- Trigger Happy: Everybody.
- Tuckerization: The Mine Turtle was apparently invented by a man named Tom.
- (Mine) Turtle Power: Technically, he's a tortoise.
- Unfortunate Names: In asdfmovie9, a girl tells his dad that she's hungry, to which the dad replies with "Hi hungry, I'm dad", a typical "dad joke"...until it's shown that the girl actually is named Hungry.
- Unusual Euphemism: "holy shirt!", as seen in the end of asdfmovie deleted scenes.
- Verbal Tic Name: Presumably the "I Like Trains" kid.
- Visual Pun: From asdfmovie6.Mom: Here comes the airplane!
Boy: *opens mouth*
* airplane lands on house*
- The "asdfmovie Song" video sometimes quickly flashed corresponding pictures of a cow and a bell, as well as a karate kid and a drum (karate kick).
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: "Doctor, I think I might be a homosexual." "How can you tell?" "RAAAINBOOOOOWS"
- "Quick! Don't think about cats!" (BLARRRRGH)
- "Hey, are you an angel? Because I'm allergic to feathers." *pukes in the girl's face*
- "Miss, you need to pay for your food!" "Nope." (pukes up an entire burger)
- The Walrus Was Paul
- Weaksauce Weakness: "I'm allergic to adorableness!"
- Weird Moon: Doubles as Third Wheel. "HEY, YOU TWO SHOULD KISS!!!"
- Wham Line: In asdfmovie9."I think we should just be friends."
- What Does This Button Do?:
- The pointless button in 1 that does nothing.
- In 9: "Oh, I'm gay now. Huh."
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?:Lady: "Somebody help me, I'm being robbed!!"
T-Man: "I'll save you! Tree powers activate!!" *turns into a tree*
- Who Writes This Crap?!: "Whose idea was this?!"
- William Telling: Is pulled off successfully in 10 with a little boy, pinning the apple atop his head to the tree behind him...only for the tree to fall on top of him.
- Yandere: Don't say your boyfriend said you were the most beautiful girl in the world...
"Do you ever get tired of being random?"