Personnel: Doctor, we need your help defusing this Atom Bomb!
Doctor Stiles: ALL IN A DAY'S WORK!! noteNonsensical, almost YouTubePoop-ish animated shorts parodies, created by Egoraptor. Usually affectionate, mostly hosted on Newgrounds, starting with the Metal Gear Awesome series and, like The Abridged Series, spawning Awesome clones. Titles often go as such: Grand Theft Awesome, Awesomefield, and so on.Their main weapons are exaggerating characters and flaws as well as random humor.Find them here.
Provides Examples Of:
- Affectionate Parody: Usually.
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: A lot of fans who didn't know much about Trauma Center thought the bit where the doctor is asked to defuse an atom bomb was just a joke. It's really only a minor exaggeration of something that actually happens in the game.
- Angrish: Gears of Awesome
- Annoying Video Game Helper:
- Art Evolution: The animation quality has noticeably improved since the first few installments.
- This was deliberate. While Metal Gear Awesome was animated with limited knowledge of flash animation, subsequent awesome cartoons were purposefully done sloppily at the request of MTV, who originally hosted them. Once Egoraptor was no longer animating for them, he was free to do them with as much production value as he cared to, compare Awesome Crossing and Awesome Center with their Reduxes and Awesome the Hedgehog to Awesome Chaotix (the 'sequel').
- Art Shift: When Snake says "Fine, jeez."◊
- Ascended Meme: David Hayter saying "OHMYGODHOTNESSIWANNABANGYOU!"
- Axe Crazy: Marcus and Dom in Gears of Awesome.
- Barely-There Swimwear: In Dead or Awesome Extreeeme the three players have the option of actually playing beach volleyball or relaxing by the pool. The player character then asks what type or bathing suit they want her to wear.Player Character: Would you like me to wear this elaborate, well designed bathing suit that shows off none of my body, OR this one that's just a bunch of strings?Players: (in unison) Isn't it obvious?Player Character: Well then, you'll just have to actually play the game! Ha haha!
- Because Destiny Says So / The Chosen One: Legend of Awesome.Navi: You have to saaaaaaave the world.Link: That's FAN-FUCKIN-TASTIC!Navi: It's your responsibility.Link: Oh, well I guess that makes sense.
- Berserk Button: In Awesome Noire, mentioning to the police chief that he has a "double-chin thing".
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Snake's eyebrows defy description.
- Big "OMG!": The Villager in Awesome Crossing Redux, when Bianca asks him to draw on him.
- Big "WHAT?!": A rather epic one from Derek in Awesome Center Redux.
- Character Exaggeration: Ranging from the Gears being raging jocks in Gears of Awesome to Mei Ling being annoying.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Averted in Awesome Gaiden.
- Deranged Animation: All of them, but reaches its zenith in the completely insane Awesome Reach.
- The Ditz: Ash is flanderized as this from his usual Idiot Hero personality.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Just try listening to Awesome Reach and not think of a seriously hardcore gay sex scene.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Vector in Awesome Chaotix.
- Everything's Deader with ZombiesTyler Chase: Doctor, my sister has cancer... ZOMBIE CANCER!!!
- Extreme Omnivore: Solid Snake eats a gun in Metal Gear Awesome and a locker in Metal Gear Awesome 2.
- Eye Take: Happens numerous times when the characters are shocked by some revelation. Lampshaded in Metal Gear Awesome.
- Fanservice - Mocked in Dead or Awesome: EXTREEEEME
Ryu: HEY! There's a ninja with huge boobs over there.Ayane: Hi.EgoRaptor: A-ah cool?
- Mocked differently in Awesome Gaiden:
- Fast-Forward Gag: Used as a quick joke in Metal Gear Awesome, skipping over the scene where Otacon narrates his backstory... and pausing halfway to find Snake and Otacon about to make out.
- Flat Joy:Navi: You saaaaved the wooorld!
The World: Whoo-hoo.
- Follow the Bouncing Ball: Gears of Awesome. "WHERE'S MY WIIIIIIIIIFE?!"
- Follow the Leader: Many fans have tried to emulate his style, with varying results. (Examples: Halo: Awesome Evolved and Awesome's Creed)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Awesome was pretty good too.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Across several videos, even the stand-alone shorts. The credits to "Mr. Literal", for example, features part of the Pokerap (Electrode to Butterfree) as well as part of the credits to the movie Amazing Grace.
- Five-Man Band: Awesome Chaotix, nigs
- Fridge Logic: Lampshaded In-Universe, as depicted players and game characters often have their moments mid-scene.
- Gag Penis
- Awesome Man
- Awesome Reach
- Gross-Up Close-Up: taken Up to Eleven levels in Awesome Reach
- Genius Loci: The Earth in Legend of Awesome, giving a flat "woo-hoo" upon being saved.
- Guide Dang It: Metal Gear Awesome"Do you really think this is fucking fair?""YA KNOW? SERIOUSLY. I'M GETTING A LITTLE FUCKING PISSED OFF!"
"Hey you bitch, I'm the strategy guide. You can't mess with me!""Thank god you're here.""Don't worry pal, I'll sav—[stab]"
- Ironic, since The Colonel was supposed to tell Snake how to contact Meryl (and, in the sequel toon, how to defeat Psycho Mantis), but he killed him.
- And in Awesome Gaiden:
- Gorn: Gears of Awesome
- HAHAHA–No: Metal Gear Awesome.Snake: "Why is there a helicopter in the background?"Miller: "That's my stomach, I'm hungry."Snake: "Hungry for worms?"Miller: "No, hungry for wooooooords!"*Both laughing*Snake: "HahahahaSHUT UP!" >:(
- Hypocritical Humor: In PokeAwesome, Pikachu yells at Venusaur for attacking him because his trainer said so and criticizes him for not walking away, but Pikachu was following Ash's orders and throwing Venusaur like a ragdoll because Ash told him to. Plus, he attacked first.
- Ho Yay: In-Universe in "Metal Gear Awesome", between Snake and Otacon while Egoraptor tries to fast forward through the gameOtacon: ...are you coming on to me?!Snake: [To Egoraptor] Grrawwl, what?! Why the fuck did you stop on this part?!?!Egoraptor: Oh, sorry...
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming
- I Fell for Hours : In Awesome Cracks DownThe Agent: Why the hell are you making fun of me? I just got exploded. Seriously. I mean look at me, I'm still flyin' through the air, and who knows where the hell I'm going to land. And even then I'm still going to be on fire. God.
- The Prince of Awesome is basically the eponymous Prince falling down a cliff for about a minute, at which point he resets time and gets dragged back up the cliff, before falling down the cliff again.
- Insurmountable Waist High Fence: Lampshaded in Resident Awesome 4
- Jesus Was Way Cool: Jesus appears in Metal Gear Awesome and fixes Snake's ear and talks like a hippie.
- Jive Turkey: Awesome the Hedgehog:Sonic: "Hey maaaaan, let's go save the world duuuuude, fo' rizzle!"Knuckles: "Yo yo yo B boy, that shit's fo' reel, mothafucka! Shit. Bitch. Fuckin' ass and blat blat!"
- Literal Metaphor: Mr. Literal.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Pikachu freaks out over a knee injury in PokeAwesome: Just A Pokemon Battle.
- Mood Whiplash: Awesome Chaotix.
- Mushroom Samba: Super Awesome Bros.
- Nintendo Hard: Awesome Gaiden.Ryu: Oh, you think that's hard!? I'M JUST THE TUTORIAL LEVEL! THAT'S THE NEXT LEVEL OVER THERE! *cut to army of buff ninjas*Buff Ninja: What's up?EgoRaptor: Oh God, help me!Ryu: GOD CAN'T HELP YOU NOW!
- Not with the Safety on, You Won't: Metal Gear Awesome.Snake: (to Meryl) The safety's on! (grabs her gun, twists it into a balloon dog, and eats it)
- Oh Crap!: Awesome GaidenStrategy Guide: Hey you bitch! I'm the Strategy Guide! You can't mess with me!EgoRaptor: Thank God you're here!EgoRaptor: Oh God...
- Only Sane Woman: Tifa in Awesome Fantasy 7. Though it's not so much "sane" as "willing to actually fight without angsting".
- Pals with Jesus: Metal Gear Awesome shows Jesus aiding Snake a couple of times.Jesus: It's cooool.
- Played for Laughs: The entire point of the series.
- Pokémon Speak: Enforced... sorta. Venusaur and Pikachu are both capable of speaking proper English. In Venusaur's case, he'll say what he means, and then correct himself with "I mean, Venusaur." In Pikachu's case, he doesn't start speaking English until he takes a solarbeam to the knee.
- Precision F-Strike: Eggman in Awesome the HedgehogEggman: Sonic will fall right into my trap.Minion: But Tails is with him, sir!Eggman: Ffffffffffffffuck.
Kong: Ah, it's no big deal, I mean, what are the odds...*Jumpman takes Pauline*Kong: Fuck.
- Also used in Awesome Kong
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Gears of Awesome: "WHERE'S! MY! WIFE!"
"Ready doesn't even! Fucking!! DESCRIBE IT!!!
- Complete with a sing-along bouncing O-face... dude... guy... thing from Awesome Center.
- From Awesome Reach:
- Re Cut: Awesome Crossing and Awesome Center got reduxes, which are extended versions of the original shorts with extra jokes and much higher quality art.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Metal Gill Jawesome: It's Metal Gear Awesome WITH MARINE ANIMALS!
- Rule of Cool: Awesome May Cry
- Rule of Funny: Flanderization occurs to abide by this rule.
- Shown Their Work: Many of these parodies, no matter how deranged or random, show that Egoraptor has played the games before. For example, Snake hiding cigarettes in his stomach, ridiculous as it sounds, was actually in the game, and Meryl's Codec number is actually the same one from the game.
- Suddenly Shouting: The transition from seriousness to weirdness in Awesome Center is rather... abrupt.Angie: There are deep lacerations in the sternum... WHERE ALIENS HAVE TAKEN OVER HIS BOAAAAAAAADYYY!!!
- Surreal Humor: the parodies of the subjects are so extreme that they become this, as well as the expressions. Dear God, the expressions.
- Take That:
- [Trope Name]: CRYPTIC METAPHOR
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!:
Ash: DEFEATED NOW, BITCH!?
- Awesome Gaiden: "Hey, you bitch! I'm the strategy guide!"
- PokeAwesome 2: After Brock gives Ash a gym badge for his resourcefulness, he tries to convince Ash that he really wasn't defeated, even though Ash wants to display to the world that he defeated Brock. Later that night, he finds Ash fucking his wife.
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay: Metal Gear Awesome again.
- Unstoppable Rage: Clyde from Pac AwesomePinky: Wow, dude. You suck.Clyde: SHUT THE FUCK UP! *Bites off Pinky's head**Blinky backs away slowly*
- What about Ryu In Awesome Gaiden? Not even the Strategy Guide could stop him!
- Viewers Are Geniuses: The "Hungry for Worms?"/"Hungry for Words" exchange in Metal Gear Awesome, at first glance, seems like a case of the Awesome Series' usual utter nonsense, but it is actually an obscure reference to a set of 1980's PSA's from the "Reading is Fundamental" educational campaign. According to one interview with Egoraptor, "It’s one of those things that when you are a kid, sticks in your head and for some reason known only to you, it remains funny."
- Volumetric Mouth: Often.
- Waterfall Puke: Pikachu in PokeAwesome
- What the Hell, Hero?: Pikachu delivers one to Ash and Venusaur after his knee injury, pointing out some of the Fridge Logic behind the Pokémon series.
- You Just Told Me: From the first Metal Gear Awesome:Psycho Mantis: You like men!Snake: You can see into my mind?Psycho Mantis: No.Snake: Fuck.