Creator: Tom Ska
TomSka (real name: Thomas Ridgewell, born June 27, 1990) is a UK-based web filmmaker, producer, vlogger and actor known for his live-action and animated productions, particularly asdfmovies. He also voices his Author Avatar, Tom in Eddsworld and, after Edd Gould's passing, is the main producer and scriptwriter. He has also served as one of the executive producers on Don't Hug Me I'm Scared from episode three onwards.His main YouTube channel is here, his second channel, containing mostly vlogs and behind-the-scenes material is here. He also has a Twitter and Tumblr account.He also made a game called KatataK (deriving from Cat Attack) that can be purchased for iOS and Android devices.His short film Hit It has its own page.
Tropes present in his works or otherwise related to him:
- Action Bomb: Tom himself is revealed to be one at the end of "HOLY SHIT CATS".
- Adult Fear:
- The end of "What Happened?" The basis of the video is that a suicide has taken place. Whenever someone asks what happened, another person will take the gun and, while explaining, shoot themselves in the head. A particularly diabolical officer forces this fate upon Tom by asking the question. It turns out that Tom had a wife and a son. His son then asks what happened. And you know what that means...
- "The New Kid". Imagine mistaking your own child for a homeless man and mistaking a homeless man for your own child.
- "Where's the Baby?"
- Affably Evil: Tom as an assassin who kills a man named Khyan and cheers up Khyan and tells him to man up and go talk to his wife in a really friendly manner, only for it to be part of his plot to kill him.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Well, if you consider "HOLY SHIT CATS" to be idiotic.Tom: I was really drunk when I wrote this film.
- Alter Ego Acting: He usually plays an exaggerated version of himself.
- The Atoner: He's said several times that he was kind of a horrible person growing up, especially towards women and part of his sex-ed videos are basically him making sure that other people don't make his mistakes.
- And I Must Scream: Of sorts, near the end of "What Happened?" The video is based around someone who has committed suicide, but whenever someone asks what happened, another person will take the gun and shoot themselves in the head. Tom is the Only Sane Man in this situation. There's a particularly diabolical officer who asks the question and forces Tom to shoot himself, screaming all the while.
- Author Appeal: Tom really likes guns and half of his sketches use them in some shape or form.
- Baby Talk: The gag of "Where's the Baby?" is that everyone talks like this when discussing the missing baby.
- Badass: In "Christmas Demolition", for instance, which also overlaps with Badass Santa.
- Badass Beard: As you can see in the page image.
- Bad Boss: Tom is sort of one to his coworkers in the KatataK vlogs, and it gets Played for Laughs.
- Baleful Polymorph: In "Cake", Ben is turned into a cake by a wizard, and Tom and Kathryn try to help change him back (and resist the temptation to eat him).
- Big "NO!":
- Tom in "Takeout Robbery" when he realizes that the phone robber isn't going to let him leave.
- From the same video, the phone cop lets out one when his co-worker, Bob, is shot and killed by the robber.
- Tom also does one accompanying a key change in "Musical Suicide" when the woman confirms that she plans to commit suicide.
- The ends of "Literal Drinks" and "Christmas Demolition".
- Tom in "Takeout Robbery" when he realizes that the phone robber isn't going to let him leave.
- Bittersweet Ending: "Sniper Pug". While Sgt. Pugsley does pull a Deus ex Machina and save the team from meeting a death at the hand of their enemies, they realize a bit too late that they forgot about defusing the bomb that was the basis of their mission. Just as they have their Mass "Oh, Crap!" moment, the bomb goes off.
- Black Comedy: One of his fortes.
"So I always hear, 'Tomska, you're so attractive! Why aren't you making a game?' And to that I always say, 'Oh no, the voices are back. I should take stronger meds.' (internal whispers)"(cut to Tom laughing with his coworkers)
- In "OH NO SPACE CATS":
- The "fake suicide prank" in "EPIC GIRLFRIEND PRANKS".
- Immediately after said prank, Tom suddenly shoots himself through the chin.
- In "PIZZA TIME", when Tom decides to order chicken barbecue pizza, Future Tom appears with a robot arm...and full-blown AIDS.
- Bond One-Liner: Many examples at the ends of videos, always accompanied by Tom putting on his pair of sunglasses and subsequent dubstep music.
- (after a shootout in a hair salon) "I'm glad we...straightened that out."
- (after defeating the Guitar Bandit) "You're a little flat. Don't fret about it."
- One of the first events of "HORSE" is Mrs. Johnson killing Tom with a knife. One of the final events is Mrs. Johnson killing a husband and wife with a knife.
- After the first gag in "The Confession", Tom says "I think that went well." After the final gag, Jenny says the same thing.
- Boom, Headshot: Tom has a special liking for this trope.
- Bottomless Pit: The titular hole in "The Hole", possibly.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:
Here are some top tips for passing the time waiting for an ambulance: Read a book. Write a book. Book a holiday for your book.
- Sort of.
Future Tom: The Nazis are back!
- In "PIZZA TIME":
(Present Tom chooses another pizza)
Future Tom: The dinosaurs are back!
(Present Tom chooses another pizza)
Future Tom: Nazi...dinosaurs!
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: The "Buy Some Shirts" song.Buy some shirts!
Buy a lot!
Buy some shirts so I can buy a-
Buy some shirts, and nobody gets hurt.
- Careful with That Axe: The result of Tom's "music phobia" in "Bad Singer".
- Catch Phrase:
- Mrs. Johnson has "I love it!"
- Tom has "Hey, you!" or "Hello, turbofans!", accompanied with a little two-finger salute.
- Creator Breakdown: Suffered one after the death of Edd Gould.My close friend, business partner and - if I'm being honest - muse Edd Gould was dead. Cancer had made its final move on him the night before. While I partied, he fought for his life and lost. (...) I miss him so fucking much.
- Tom's also had problems with depression, which contributed, subconsciously, to the darker tone of asdfmovie7.
- He suffers these at times. The first instance is when he speaks about losing half of his equipment (mainly his laptop, hard drive, camera and his glasses) during a train ride which pushed him back for a while, then there was the instance of feeling depressed over several friends getting ill (especially Edd), and then losing Edd to his cancer. Tom has gotten better, but recently suffered two a while back: One feeling like he failed to hold up Eddsworld without Edd and the show in general and then revealing he suffers from severe depression. Thankfully he's pulled himself up on his feel, but still..
- Curse Cut Short:
- In "Edd's Birthday", when Tom realises he's forgotten Edd's birthday.Tom: OH SHI - [title sequence]
- Also happens in "HOLY SHIT CATS", when he faces off against an army of cats.Tom: COME AT ME, YOU PUSSY MOTHERF- (explodes)
- In "Edd's Birthday", when Tom realises he's forgotten Edd's birthday.
- Delayed Reaction: Tom made a skit based off of it and named after it. It has a criminal that is about to be thrown off of a building, and when he is thrown off he actually lands on his two feet without a scratch. His reaction then kicks in, begging for his life, and as he tops it off with a Big "NO!" he suddenly throws himself into the ground.
- Deus ex Machina: Sgt. Pugsley's rescue in "Sniper Pug".
- Disproportionate Retribution: Chris stabs Tom in "STABBED" with a salty knife laced with tiny bees, then programs Tom's phone to order a mushroom pizza filled with more bees when Tom calls for an ambulance, all because Tom ate Chris's sandwich.
- Downer Ending:
- "What Happened?": Tom is forced to kill himself with the gun, and 10 years later his son inadvertently inflicts this same fate upon his mother.
- "STUPID JUSTIN BIEBER PARODY": Justin travels back in time to the Achterhuis when Anne Frank is hiding in it. He sings her a song and then leaves. The Gestapo most likely hear the song and decide to check behind the bookcase.
- "Where's the Baby?": Someone in a search party manages to find the baby, but it's buried in the ground. It then cuts to a headstone with "The Baby" written on it.
- "Musical Suicide": The Stinger reveals that the girl did go through with her suicide, as we hear a crash and a car alarm.
- Driven to Suicide: Tom tries to talk his lover out of this in "Musical Suicide", which is exactly what it sounds like. It turns out that Tom had mistaken her for someone else (after all, he had been looking at her from behind).
- The ending of "EPIC GIRLFRIEND PRANKS" has Tom saying "I love you" and shooting himself through the chin.
- Drop the Hammer: In one of Tom's KatataK vlogs, he opts to show the viewer some game footage. It then cuts to a hammer being dropped onto an iPhone. It's not pretty by the end.
- Dull Surprise: Tom throughout "The Hole". Alice even lampshades it.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: In "My Dream Funeral", Tom talks about how he wants to go out in this manner, such as in a bear fight...or from heart failure.
- Epic Fail: In "Baby with a Gun", Tom ends up threatening the titular baby with a gun of his own. Realizing how mean he sounded, Tom proceeds to give the baby his gun, and only then does he realize his massive fuckup.Tom: Now it's a baby with two guns.
- Fake American: He has an amazing American accent, which he seems to slip into at times.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Sort of, in "Pokemon Extreme," when it's not his accent that slips, per se, it's that he uses the British pronunciation of "been" (like "bean").
- Fun with Subtitles: There's some fun to be had with some of the subtitles on Tom's videos. For a really good example, see "Sniper Pug".
- Gallows Humor: According to Tom's "dream funeral" video, he encourages this ten-fold with his death, wanting his friends to make the most crude and tasteless jokes under the sun.
- Gambit Pileup: On Valentine's Day, of all things.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Whenever Mrs. Johnson stabs someone in "HORSE".
- The Grinch: Exhibit A.
- Gun Nut
- Hurricane of Puns: "Rock Bottom". Unsuprisingly, starring Edd Gould.(Edd and Tom are stuck in a sunken house)Edd: I got my grades back. They're below C level! *canned laughter*
- Iconic Item: The dubstep sunglasses.
- I Knew It: Tom at the end of "Needles", when the time stopper finally appears.
- Incendiary Exponent: The second Banned University of Lincoln advert is nothing more than a lecture, where everything is on fire.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: "What happened?" "Y'see, they took this gun, pointed it to their head, andBANG"
- Knife Nut: Oh, Mrs. Johnson.
- Meaningful Name: A real life version. "Thomas" is derived from an Aramaic word, which means "twin". As stated here, he had a twin sister who died in an accident before their birth.
- Mood Whiplash:
Tom: See, Chris, the thing is—(pulls out gun)—I'll just kill him.
- In "The Confession":
- A rather shocking one at the end of "EPIC GIRLFRIEND PRANKS". We see Alice arriving at home, telling Tom that he has to stop pranking her. She goes into a dark room, turns on the light, and finds Tom hanging. It turns out to have been yet another prank.
- He starts "My Dream Funeral" by saying, "Hey you! We're all gonna die."
- Motor Mouth: At times, during his vlogs:Hello Turbofans and welcome to the Turbovlog, the vlog where i talk Turbofast and you get Turboconfused... yay?
- Mummies at the Dinner Table: At the end of "Designated Driver", Tom confusing "dead" for "drunk."
- Naked People Are Funny: In "Edd's Birthday", Tom goes around asking his friends for present ideas. Matt suggests nudity as a present, and is naked when the camera turns back to him.
- Noodle Implements: "Picture Perfect" has a variant. Police arrive on the scene of Chris and Tom's double-suicide.Officer 1: They must've painted their killers before they died.Officer 2: So we're looking for a centaur, an antisemitic cat, and the alphabet.Officer 1: My god! They're back!
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Yes, Sgt. Pugsley does take out all those enemies in "Sniper Pug", but we never do see him behind the rifle.
- Oh Crap!:
Customer: Hi there, I'd like a cheese pizza, a bottle of cola, and all the money in the register.Tom: Hehe, what?Customer: (Dramatic Gun Cock) This a robbery.Tom: Oh, God.
- In "Takeout Robbery".
- The end of "Sniper Pug". The team is celebrating Sgt. Pugsley's gallant sharpshooting that saved them from their enemies, only to realize that they never took care of the bomb that was the basis of their whole mission. And it's about to detonate.
- One-Man Army: Tom in "Christmas Demolition".
- One Steve Limit: Discussed in this video.
- OOC Is Serious Business: If Tom is speaking slowly in a vlog, you're gonna get some heavy subject matter.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Tom visits Alice at work dressed up as a delivery man in "EPIC GIRLFRIEND PRANKS". However, she actually falls for it.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Tom says "Christmas pun." before killing Santa with his own candy cane cannon.
- Pun: The climax of "Guitar Bandit" features the line "Drop the bass!"
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Rearrange the Song: One of his scrap'd videos, "The TomSka Song" (made from a collab between Tom and The Living Tombstone), would later be released as "Tom's Dog", with all of the video samples extracted.
- Recurring Extra: Ever since "Mrs." Johnson appeared in The Fallen, the horse-headed person has appeared in many future sketches, always giving a thumbs-up and announcing "I love it" to whatever event is occurring. According to Meanwhile 2, she's also an exile from a parallel universe for unexplained crimes against her country.
- Running Gag:
- His hatred of Christmas.
- The "dramatic sting" in "The Hole".
- The fact that the party serves free drinks in "XBOX RUINED ME".
- Sadist Teacher: In "EAT YOUR FEELS", Tom briefly talks about a teacher that he had that would go to great lengths to crush his spirit: "Miss Trunchbull levels", as he describes it. The effects that the teacher forced on Tom got so bad that his parents pulled him out of that school to get away from her, but by this time Tom was already a husk of his former self.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: In "The Omega Diet", one of his "scrap'd" videos."I don't care if the rules contradict each other! I make the rules!"
- Screw Yourself: Wants to practice kissing with himself.
- Self-Deprecation: How I "Make" Cartoons.
- A much more serious case in The 7 Flaws of TomSka.
- Shower of Angst: The penultimate scene in "XBOX RUINED ME" is of Tom taking one. It comes out of nowhere as well.
- Signing Off Catchphrase: "TomSka OUT!"
- Slasher Smile: The officer in "What Happened?" who forces Tom to shoot himself after asking the titular question. He's in the video thumbnail, no less.
- Stylistic Suck: "Super Good Impressions", a video made for Youtube's Lo-Fi Week, was made to look like it was made earlier than it actually was.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: "Buy some shirts! Buy a lot! Buy some shirts so I can buy a boat."
- Surreal Humor: One of his fortes. Take HORSE, for example, in all its sociopathic glory.
- Take That: One against The Hangover Part II in "I Got Drugged".So I don't really remember anything from the night, but little bits kind of came back to me over the next couple days, including flirting with an assortment of people. I'm very sorry if that was you, I don't remember who you are, though, 'cause I got roofied, and it wasn't good, it wasn't like The Hangover 1, it was like The Hangover 2... forgettable.
- That Came Out Wrong: In the description for "The Hole".Holes. Everyone's got one. Wait that came out wrong...
- The Stoic: During The Hole, Tom is completely stoic and deadpan about there being a hole in his floor, his favorite mug being thrown into the hole and shooting a hole person. Turns out he's more worried about the space octopus.
- The Talk: He has a series of videos where he discusses sex, foreplay, puberty, and porn.
- They Killed Kenny: Tom dies alot in his videos, but he's always fine by the next one.
- Too Soon: When it comes to Tom's dream funeral, he says that there is no such thing, freely allowing everyone to made the crudest jokes under the sun about his demise.
- Trauma Conga Line: In What's Wrong, Tom admits that not only are his parents divorcing, but his dog Dudley died shortly after he found out about the divorce. Tom then decided to break up with his girlfriend, and returned to his unhealthy habits of excessive eating and drinking (3 bottles of rosť wine a day). He also noted that he's having terrible thoughts that are bleeding into everything he writes.
- Trigger Happy: Just ask Bing, whom he shot at the end of "The Confession".
- In "Needles", he reveals that his preferred method of washing the dishes is shooting them.
- Troubled, but Cute: Has admitted to being depressed and having a drinking problem, and comes off as a bit of a Sad Clown. He's still a good looking guy, however.
- Tranquil Fury: Displays this in Christmas Demolition.
- Vocal Dissonance: Parodied in "Bad Voice Actor".
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: The first gag in "The Confession", supplied by Tom.
- Wall of Weapons: Standard background for his vlogs. Interestingly, the guns on the wall are replicas, and because he is a registered filmmaker, he doesn't need a licence for them.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: In "Guitar Bandit", Jenny plays a ukelele that summons an aura of hearts. She is kicked out almost immediately.