Nerd Cubed is a British Let's Play
channel on YouTube
created by Daniel Hardcastle and run by Daniel Hardcastle and Wot Fanar, devoted to gaming and reviewing games. It can be found here
. Largely inspired by Hannah Hart's My Drunk Kitchen series, it combines quick editing with strange, unexpected humor and real-time gameplay.
Nerd Cubed provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Dan's Psychonauts complete series, before the entire "NerdCubed Completes..." series was axed altogether. However on December 14th, 2013 the Completes series was announced to be back although 3 Free Game Friday would be canceled due to issues with Youtube.
- As of June 24th, 2014, the Completes series seems to be returning, starting with The Simpsons: Hit & Run.
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle: Evie/Cleverbot prononuces her own name as "Cle-VER-but". Cue Dan bursting into hysterical laughter.
- Adorkable: Daniel himself, without question. That is, when he isn't being a Deadpan Snarker.
- All Just a Dream: Dan wonders if the events that happen in Amnesia: The Dark Descent are just a dream.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Invoked. Due to some out-of-context lines from Barbie, Dan views her as an international terrorist.
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: Dan wonders in his Flight Simulator X video if pilots fly really close around the Golden Gate Bridge for fun. He is completely right, as it turns out.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: DadCubed. Oh, god, DadCubed.
- April Fools' Day: For April 1, 2013, Dan decided to take a new direction and play Happy Wheels with a face cam, not unlike PewDiePie. The video only lasts for about two minutes before showing twenty minutes of YouTube's "An error occurred. Please try again later" message. Mostly meant as a Take That. For April 1, 2012, Dan also decided to conquer his fears and play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Unlike the Happy Wheels video, this one is actually a full video of Dan playing "Petz Horsez" 2.
- Arch-Enemy: Ducks, and Brad.
- Artistic License: Religion: In the FTL What Would Jesus Do challenge, perhaps unsurprisingly. One of the most notable examples comes when considering self-defense:
Dan: It was, it was...if someone slaps your ass cheek, they can also slap your other ass cheek, wasn't it? It was something like that, I got the weird Bible.
- Ascended Extra: Westerado was originally going to be a short on Nerdł's Three Free Games Friday, but Dan enjoyed it so much that it got its own Nerdł Permadeath series instead.
- Awkward Father-Son Bonding Activity: Awkward isn't really the right word.
- Berserk Button:
- Being named Brad and being around Dan will not fare well for you, even if you are on the same team as he is.
- Ducks, ever since one particular incident in a Minecraft Let's Play.
- He doesn't take kindly to the objectification of females in videogames. It's one of the main reasons he loathes Catwoman.
- Homophobia will REALLY piss him off.
- A downplayed one is when a game doesn't offer invertible controls.
- A not-quite-as-downplayed one along the same lines is not being allowed to change the field of view.
- As of TMI Vlog With ''Emma Blackery''!, baths have become a new one.
- He absolutely despises Microtransactions. He went so far to put "Every single game with microtransactions" at the top of his worst games of 2013 list and made an entire video ranting on the mobile version of Dungeon Keeper for taking it too far.
- Big Eater: Dan, as pointed out early in his first Cook, Serve, Delicious video.
- Big "NO!": Dan does this in his Red Dead Redemption video when the train he was riding on kills his horse.
- He also does this in his Worms video when his worm "Kenneth Kennethso" gets shot off of a shovel and killed with a Slow Motion Fall, followed by that same enemy worm shooting Sasha off a ledge in the same manner to her death. He does, however, win the match.
- Blatant Lies: Dan makes blatant lies so often that it has become one of his catchphrases.
- During the "Space Racists" challenge for FTL: Faster Than Light, he claims he got the ship's name by hitting random letters. The spaceship's name? The USS UKIP.
- Bolivian Army Ending: The ending to "Nerdł Plays... Gang Beasts".
You see from this ending, you don't know who won. Sort of.
- Captain Obvious: Cleverbot
Cleverbot: Chinese is Asian.
Dan: I'm not even debating that.
- Catch Phrase: "Hello, procrastinators!"
- *Dan makes obviously false statement* "True story."
- "Lovely jubbly!"
- "Are you ready for this jelly?" and variants.
- "Don't you hate it when [an unusual and extremely game-specific situation]."
- [Improvises something bizarre or says a word wrong] "Well done, brain/Thank you for that, brain."
- "Goodbye, procrastinators." and/or "Too-ra."
- Dan's high-pitched "EEEEEEEEEEEEP!" when passing very close to in-game hazards.
- "You saw nothing!" in his stealth games.
- For DadCubed: "YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAA! Hello everybody, and welcome to DadCubed! Yeah, the old man from Essex is back again!"
- Cats Are Mean: Demon Kitty from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
- Choose Your Own Adventure: His 100,000 subscriber special.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Most notably the Dungeon Keeper Mobile review.
- Cozy Catastrophe: The people in the Tsunami mod sat around and drank coffee while the water was reaching their necks.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dan goes into Gang Beasts on his own after a few updates, and feels he's so good at the game that he'll make this happen. And indeed it does...with him on the receiving end of many beatings.
- Curse Cut Short: See Tempting Fate.
- Cross Over: With Hannah Hart of My Drunk Kitchen, Emma Blackery, In The Little Wood, Steven Moffat on Dans Vlog channel, and Night Hood & Decoy.
- Deadpan Snarker: Daniel again. He frequently does this when making a joke about the matter at hand.
- Death from Above: When playing Grand Theft Auto V Online with Martyn Littlewood of the Yogscast, he flies around in a cargo plane with Martyn riding in the back in a car. Then Dan pulls up and drops Martyn down to Earth. He survives. Three guesses as to what happens next...
- Determinator: Dan must be if he plays Desert Bus for eight hours straight for his 1,000,000 subscriber special.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Almost everything that Dan does when he is police officer in GTA IV.
- Drives Like Crazy: Driving fast without looking forward is common. TotalBiscuit made a brief note of this in his video Why We Watch.
- Epic Fail: Every time he plays a simulator. Every time.
Dan: (Before every simulator) I sincerely apologize to anyone that [insert anyone who actually does what the game is simulating].
- Also Lampshaded in his Microsoft Flight Simulator X video, where he fails all video at one objective: landing the plane.
Dan: If you ever get on a plane and the pilot's voice comes over the intercom and it's mine, run. Just jump out of the plane. You have a better chance of survival.
- And according to Dan, the London 2012 Olympic Games's (the official video game) keyboard controls.
Dan (After failing at the triple jump):
The problem with this jump, my friend, is that this game was made by a GIBBON!!!
- Though in his Nerd Challenge of winning the Olympics in the game, he said if you played with a controller it worked much better.
- Evil Genius: Kenneth Kennethson.
- Exact Words: Dan's reason for playing the aforementioned London 2012 game with a keyboard instead of a controller. The controller was simply "recommended", so to Dan, that meant he didn't need it.
- Fan Community Nickname: "Procrastinators".
- Fat Bastard: The single striped badgers in Shelter.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Nicknames MACE from Intrusion2 "Carl", since it resembles the name of a puppy, and, "I'll never fear someone called Carl. True story".
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: "Vote Kitty President" from Grand Theft Auto IV.
- Freud Was Right: Invoked in his video on Underground Mining Simulator. He looks at a spiky, phallic-looking drill and comments that he's, "seen that on dodgy websites".
- Genius Slob: Kenneth Kennethson, the Evil Genius started to dig through the garbage to find things.
- Gilligan Cut: Early on in his first solo Gang Beasts video, he goes in with great confidence.
Dan: There is a downside to playing this game - it's that I've got too good at it now, so this is going to be sort of a bit of a merciless domination. Don't expect this to be one of those videos where a black screen with the word 'Attempt' comes up every few minutes, because I won't be having a lot of goes with this. I'm probably going to do this the first time. Seriously, it's going to be easy- ATTEMPT 1
- Good Bad Bugs: Explored at times.
- Groin Attack: He ends up having his character land on his crotch at least three times in his Skate 3 video. He shares the male pain when he isn't killing himself laughing.
Dan:"Karate kick! (Lands with a ledge between his legs) Oooohohoooohhhhhh...my sausage-sandwich!"
- Hello, Insert Name Here: Dan often plays around with these features for the sake of a joke. For example:
- His Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 video has him click on a new save file labelled "Empty" by default. He then names it "Empty".
- His video on the patched version of Simcity had him name his city "Wank", just so that the main menu would have an option that said, "Resume Wank".
- Inner Monologue: Used throughout his video on I Get This Call Every Day.
- Jump Cut: Dans main style of humor inspired by Hannah Hart.
- Jump Scare: At the end of Dan's Amnesia: The Dark Descent video.
- Jump the Shark: Literally. Dan opens his Skate 3 video by trying to jump a massive fake shark. He fails, and ends up Crushing The Australian.
- Just for Pun: Dan will do this occasionally.
- From his ARMA 2 video " Guess who? NUN OTHER THAN ME!".
- Just One More Level: Goes for one more attempt at beating MACE in Intrusion2...and then falls off the platform immediately.
- Like Father, Like Son: Inverted; Dan's dad, Steve, began to show up on the channel in "Father and Son-Days" videos. Apparently, he really enjoyed the experience, because he eventually got his own YouTube channel, DadCubed.
- Mad Doctor: Dan in Surgeon Simulator 2013. He will tear every organ out of the body even when it isn't in the way, use a hammer to destroy ribs and skulls, and at the end of his Surgeon Simulator in Space video even tried to achieve the quickest kill using what he called a tomahawk.
- And DadCubed. Especially after he finds the laser.
- When Dan accepts a challenge to do a blind brain surgery and has DadCubed as his assistant. Eventually after getting frustrated, DadCubed decides to just kill the patient.
DadCubed: Okay. Back towards us. Down. Grab! *Dan grabs the drill* Lift up, lift up, perfect!
Dan: What've I got?
DadCubed: Umm...you've got the hammer.
Now right. Forward. Forward. There! Yes, yes! Now left! *The drill stabs the patient in the side of the head, killing him* Perfect! Right in the ear hole!
Dan: What've I done?
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: Every video's description ends with "All other music is in game music. It makes me want to [something related to the game played]."
- Makes Sense In Context: The entirety of "Nerd Cubed Out of Context" is to catalogue these moments.
- Mundane Made Awesome: On multiple occasions in his video on Cook, Serve, Delicious, he get's particularly anxious when the game asks him to "FLUSH THE TOILET!".
- No Indoor Voice: Mocked in the April Fools' Day video for Happy Wheels when a reading a description typed entirely with Caps Lock on.
Daniel: FEEL FREE TO RATE FIVE AND SAVE ALL YOUR CRE-AY-TIVE REPLAYS, said this person.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Repeatedly happens as the Liero video goes on.
- Overly Long Gag: His yell of "WHOOOOOAAAAA" as he uses a fire extinguisher in Airport Firefighter Simulator lasts for quite a while.
- He got into an argument with Cleverbot repeatedly alternating between "No, I don't" and "Yes you do". According to the ensuing caption, it took over 26 minutes.
- The Training Montage from his first solo Gang Beasts video.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: He uses the phrase, "delicate flambambos of chocolate" in his Cook, Serve, Delicious video, possibly as a hurried corruption of the word, "flambé". Well done, brain.
- Pinch Me: Dan tests if he is dreaming when he finishes off the Metal Gear RAY in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance by slapping himself.
Dan: *whak* No, I slapped myself in the face and I felt it, so I'm definitely awake...
- Rage Quit: Dan throws his controller after failing the last mission of The Simpsons: Hit & Run, something he has spent the best part of two episodes making over a dozen attempts at, by crashing right next to the last objective. This particular Nerd Completes series will likely remain technically incomplete due to how frustrating this particular section was.
- Rapid-Fire "No!" / Serial Escalation: Gets into a contest of alternating between a large number of "no"s and "yes"s while playing with Cleverbot.
- Recycled Title: This confuses him when he tries to play SimCity (a video that mostly amounted to a rant about always-online DRM):
Hello procrastinators, and welcome to SimCity
! This is the ultimate city building...sand...box...balls! I put the wrong footage up! Why do modern games all have the same name as old games!?
I don't understand, I do apologize, hang on... (switches to Micropolis
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Dan does this to every town he can find in Red Dead Redemption after his horse is killed.
- Running Gag:
- "All music is in-game music. It makes me want to [do something related to the game in question]."
- In the 2012 Olympics challenge Let's Play, there are numerous occasions where Dan yells at the audience to stand up for the national anthem.
- "Defence Baby", a pack of toilet rolls with a picture of a baby on it in the Gone Home video.
- In his video for Robot Wars Extreme Destruction, the cow head on Dan's robot gets knocked off every single fight, much to his annoyance.
- "Have you preordered this game yet?!" after he demonstrates cool things you can do in the tech demo of Next Car Game.
- Airport Simulator 2014 has him refer to the driver of the vehicles as Voldemort, due to the guy's appearance.
- Dan often tell Blatant Lies throughout all his videos followed up by him claiming they're true and factual.
- Sanity Slippage: As he fails more and more in the more difficult missions of The Simpsons: Hit & Run, his composure visibly begins to break apart more and more. This came to a head in part 19, where at the end of him failing the infamous "Set to Kill" mission for the umpteenth time, he lets out an ear-piercing scream that only lasts for a couple of seconds, but is enough to make someone jump.
- Self-Deprecation: In Surgeon Simulator 2013:
Daniel: Ok, you may feel a small prick...hitting you with a very large hammer.
- Also from his Simpsons: Hit And Run video:"We have to put up with MORONS SPOUTING SHIT. Speaking of, hello!"
- And from his Plague Inc. Evolved video, he chooses to start off his virus in the UK "'cause fuck those guys".
- Dan doesn't collect trash, he only makes it.
- Sensory Abuse: After failing Set to Kill in The Simpsons: Hit & Run for the umpteenth time, he lets out a loud scream which only lasts a couple of seconds before the video cuts to the outro.
- Sequel Episode: "Nerdł Challenges! 3 Day Baby - The Sims" acts as a sequel to "Nerdł's Month of... The Sims 3", by having an older Kenneth Kennethson return to do more evil.
- So Bad, It's Good: Dan's in-universe reaction to The Fast and the Furious: Showdown's lack of a physics engine and ugly textures / backgrounds. Because of that, he considers it a better game.
- Starbucks Skin Scale: Referenced in Airport Simulator, as a Take That to airport security tending to select darker-skinned people for "random searches".
- Take That:
- In his Microsoft Flight Simulator X video, upon attempting a loop in a 747 and crashing into the houses of parliament:
Whoops, I killed the Tories
! Video text accompanied by applause:
And nothing of value was lost.
- Also in part 21 of his Nerd Completes: Bully Let's Play to homophobes. Jimmy needs health, but there's no girls around to kiss. So he ends up kissing a guy, resulting in "THIS GAY KISS!"
Before we begin, I do have some serious news to discuss. I received a record number of complaints about a video. Nearly a hundred people complained about the last episode of Bully
, as it featured THIS GAY KISS! *shows footage of the kiss* Now, a lot of people wanted me to edit out THIS GAY KISS! *shows footage of the kiss* from that episode, but unfortunately, I don't keep raw video files, so THIS GAY KISS! *shows footage of kiss* is going to be there forever. They've also asked me if I would kindly (I say they asked me kindly. They didn't. They shouted.
), they asked me kindly if I would not show things like THIS GAY KISS! *shows footage of the kiss* in any future or current videos. Welll, I've decided...Jimmy is now bi. Deal with it! *shows footage of kiss* Right, that's people dragged into the 21st century and the comments section annihilated...
- Also the entirety of "Nerdł Plays...Day One: Garry's Incident"
- In his video of the London 2012 Olympics game, he doesn't have many positive things to say about the Olympics themselves, referring to them as "a massive sports day that rolls into town every four years and bankrupts a country."
- For his FTL: Faster Than Light "Space Racists" challenge, Dan names his ship the "USS UKIP", by hitting random keys on the keyboard.
- Talkative Loon: Usually whenever he isn't explaining the game he is playing, he goes on and on with barely any breaks, even during the longer, slower pace, Completes videos.
- Tempting Fate: "Pfft...tanks can't hit shi-" *explosion*
- Dan starts off his first solo Gang Beasts video claiming that he's gotten better at the game. So did the enemies, apparently. Not even a Training Montage helps him.
- This Is Your Premise on Drugs: Specifically painkillers, in the case of his Peggle Nights video, resulting in him rambling nonsensically for most of the video trying to get through his unfortunate illness. He even admits this in-universe.
- Too Dumb to Live: In his Flan's Mod video, he accidentally shoots the wing off his own plane. What does he do to attempt to survive? Shoot the other wing off so that the plane balances.
- Title Scream: Dan does this when he announces that he's playing FTL: Faster Than Light with the SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE RACIST! challenge in mind.
- Training Montage: He indulges in a lengthy one in an attempt to get better at Gang Beasts. It doesn't work.
- Uncanny Valley: Invoked - Dan repeatedly gets creeped out by the unsettlingly-calm expression on Evie's face. And then she starts winking.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: In competitive multiplayer games, Dan will lie and cheat as much as he can, and then gloat if he wins and have shouting fits if he loses.
- Villain Protagonist: Kenneth Kennethson from Dan's The Sims 3 lets play.
- World Gone Mad: When he challenges himself to survive Grand Theft Auto IV's Carmageddon mod, he very much believes that Liberty City has turned into one of these. And for good reason.
- Worst Aid: Pretty much guaranteed whenever Dan plays Surgeon Simulator 2013.
Stop struggling! I know I've taken your lungs out, just let me do what I'm doing! I'm a doctor, I know this thing
- Wrong Genre Savvy: In Gone Home he knew all the horror tropes to avoid. In spite of the game's emphasis on Nothing Is Scarier, this would have been useful if Gone Home actually was a horror game.