Cook, Serve, Delicious!
"This is genuinely more fun than it has any right to be!"
is a cooking-themed microgame game released for iOS, Android and Windows/OS X through the Steam
Greenlight system in October 2013.
The titular restaurant was once a thriving source of fantastic food, but then it declined in popularity, and fell into disrepair. You, the player, have inherited the restaurant, and have to complete a set of objectives to hopefully raise the restaurant up through the star ratings. Orders are served by completing various timing and keyboard-based minigames as quickly as possible, while also having to contend with various chores such as rat traps, increased litter, dirty plates and the toilet. On top of this, you're also getting attention from the host of a cookery-based TV show, along with regular supplies of mysterious golden tickets. Only by progressing through the star ratings can this become clear to the player.
This game contains examples of:
- Aluminium Christmas Trees: Casu marzu. While this cheese isn't used as a wine flavour like the game suggests, such a variety of cheese does exist. And it's a little squickier than the game implies.
- The Bet: These can happen either from an automated betting service, or a mysterious, smug individual called Crazy Dave, requiring certain circumstances to arise on top of a perfect combo.
- Button Mashing: Serving wine requires the player to uncork a wine bottle by hammering the up arrow key quickly...after using the W key to make sure the right kind of wine is selected, in the case of the upgraded wines.
- Similarly, tenderising chicken meat can come across as this in a hurry, since a perfect order of this requires six hits of the tenderising key.
- Dating Sim: If a love interest is coming round on a certain day, and you manage to get her order right, she'll then text you, requiring you to select the non-insulting response. During work hours.
- Disgusting Public Toilet: Played straight at first, subverted when the player buys the "commercial toilet" upgrade.
- Excuse Plot: You have to help a dilapidated restaurant climb through the star ratings by serving enough orders and making enough money. Minigames ensue.
- The Gambler: Crazy Dave
- Gratuitous French: The default wine type is titled, "Le Cheap".
- Guide Dang It: The Robbery Chore. The idea is to select various traits to build up a face based on the description. What the game doesn't tell you is that the labels next to the key prompts help in determining which traits are which. Thankfully, this chore is the rarest, so it's more of a momentary annoyance, particularly with a massive revenue stream.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: A secluded clan of ninjas appear as the people behind the mysterious golden tickets.
- The Inspector Is Coming: Occasionally, a health inspector will come, and failing to complete a chore while she's around will result in you failing the inspection.
- Jump Scare: The gunshot sound that heralds the arrival of the robbery chore. Since this is the rarest chore, this can easily come as a surprise to the player.
- Mouse Trap: The rat-trapping chore requires you to set up one of these.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Placing down any ingredient results in a "thwack" sound. This can get very absurd if the player has managed to get very good at a given minigame, such as binding Q, W, E and R to the four initial ingredients of lasagna.
- Nintendo Hard: The step-up to the next star rating can be disorienting to the player, particularly with a high buzz attained.
- Rapid-Fire Typing: With the appropriate key bindings, the player can do this easily to alleviate certain difficult foods.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: The player becomes this during a minigame where a tablet appears, and the person with it asks the player to thumb up a photo of their food. This results in a slight boost to the buzz percentage, so evidently, this works.
- Shout-Out: There exists a crowdfunding website in-game called ClickNStart.
- Spammer: Spam messages show up in your in-game email inbox, and these can be turned off with an upgrade.
- Super Identikit: The rarest chore in the game involves getting robbed, and someone gives you a description to make a sketch based on.
- Wine Is Classy: Hence why it's a "staple food" *