IT'S. ABOUT. TIME.
TIME. MOVES. ONLY. WHEN. YOU. MOVE.
Built by ten developers for the 7 day fps challenge, SUPERHOT is an interesting little shooter with a different kind of gameplay: Time will only move when you move. If youíre standing still, time will (almost) stand still. If you move, bullets continue to speed past you and your enemies will start shooting again.
Once youíve used up a gunís clip, you throw the gun away
because A: youíre motivated to scoop up another piece from a dead enemy or take them down up close and personal, and B: it's friggin' cool.
The game can be played here
and can be found on Steam Greenlight here.
Now has a Kickstarter page here
, along with a new trailer
ADD. THESE. TROPES.:
- Anticlimax: Yes, this is just a trial version at the moment, but the current ending involves killing a CEO with no effort other than a single click.
- Bottomless Magazines: For the enemies, anyway. You'll still run out after a few shots, but this is mitigated by the enemies having a slower rate of fire.
- Bullet Time: Constantly.
- Concealment Equals Cover: In the museum level, panes of glass will absorb the first shot then break. This works both ways for you and your enemies.
- Cool Shades: The enemies sport these. The museum sports a giant-sized pair.
- Dodge the Bullet: The Bullet Time mechanic allows you to do this a lot. Doubly so in the third level, which sees you running down a stretch of corridor with three Mooks firing at you, dodging their bullets as you go. Rule of Cool, indeed.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The commander's voice is electronically modified.
- Follow the Plotted Line: The final boss fight. After you kill the boss, a window will break and the Commander will order you to jump through it. There's no other way to progress, but you do get a couple of demanding messages if you try to walk away.
- Jump Scare: While it might be unintentional, the appearance of the commander's head can easily be this (even if you're expecting it).
- Katanas Are Just Better: Superhot's final version shows one, where you can slash bullets when time is slowed.
- Large Ham: The Commander in the last level. Every line he says is pure gold.
- Literal-Minded/Stealth Pun: Boss fight. As in, a fight with a CEO, who is unarmed and does nothing to defend himself.
- Minimalism: There are no colors aside from red, white and gray. The enemies have no details other than their sunglasses and pistols.
- Off the Chart: Repeatedly invoked during the Kickstarter campaign, with the chart painted over the table, mouse, coffee cup and everything.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Both your enemies and you die from one bullet shot, regardless of where the bullet hits.
- Painfully Slow Projectile: Even when moving, the bullets move much slower than they would in real life.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: The on-screen text appears as a non-verbal example of this. One word is printed at a time, accompanied by the sound of a camera shutter.
- Shoot the Bullet: It requires timing and positioning, but it is still very possible.
- Throw Away Guns: Each pistol only carries five bullets, so throwing them away is a given.
- Time Stands Still: An interesting variant tied to your motion. Stand still, and time slows to a crawl. Move at full in-game speed and it'll speed up to real time. It even extends to moving the camera: time accelerates a little when aiming and firing.
SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.