Two Shots From Behind The Bar
When he said "last call for shots", he wasn't kidding.
So the hero wanders into a seedy bar. Maybe he brushes against a less-than-reputable goon. Maybe the goon is just looking to pick a fight. Maybe the hero can't afford to pay the tab
. Whatever the case, this scenario can only end in bloodshed.
The bartender quickly dives behind the bar. A cowardly move... but then he emerges, shotgun in tow and ready to quell any disturbances to his business.
This action is not necessarily limited to bartenders, although it is a common occurrence. Similarly, while the shotgun is a common firearm used, other firearms such as rifles or pistols may be used. The key point is that the firearm is retrieved specifically from the bar
Anime and Manga
- In Black Lagoon, Bao, the owner of the Yellow Flag, keeps a shotgun behind the bar handy for inevitable shootouts. It doesn't hurt that the bar itself is fully armored to withstand gunfire.
- The Dresden Files: Artemis Bock, the bookstore owner, keeps a sawn-off 10-gauge wired underneath the counter. MacAnally the bartender has one as well as two M1911s, but they're only placed easily accessible when there's trouble brewing.
When a group of men came (into Lefty's bar), boasting of having beaten a Negro to death, my grandfather refused to serve them."Why don't you go back to your own country?" one of them shouted. "This is my country," Lefty said, and to prove it, he did a very American thing: he reached under the counter and produced a pistol.
- The StarCraft novelization Liberty's Crusade had the protagonist kill a Zergling with a shotgun he found behind the bar in a ghost town.
- The Brentford Trilogy: Neville, full-time part-time barman at The Flying Swan, keeps a knobkerrie for convincing punters of dubious manageability to leave. This being set in England, guns are far more rare than in the United States.
- The bartender in Deus Ex has a sawed-off shotgun behind the counter. However, she also carries her own.
- After Bond crashes the Kiss Kiss Club in Everything or Nothing, he automatically takes cover behind the bar and acquires a shotgun.
- During Mafia's mid-mission stages, Luigi the bartender packs a sawed-off shotgun behind the bar and will not hesitate to gun Tommy down if he attacks any of his allies.
- Bartenders in Mafia II will pull a shotgun on Vito if he tries to rob them.
- After Jenny in Gun is taken hostage at the Alhambra Saloon, the bartender unlocks a cabinet behind the bar and pulls out what appears to be a rifle. However, after the cutscene ends he actually uses a pistol instead.
- In the "Massacre at Cheung Chau Fish Restaurant" and "The Lee Hong assassination" levels of Hitman, if 47 pulls a weapon on the bartender, he will duck behind the bar and unload a sawed-off shotgun on him.
- In Bioshock Infinite, after the player blunders into his bar, the bartender screams "WE'RE CLOSED!" and proceeds to shoot the crap out of you.
- In Max Payne, there is a shotgun tucked behind the (unmanned) reception desk in one of Vinnie's apartments, near the laundromat.
- In Dirge of Cerberus, Vincent can retrieve the Hydra rifle in Edge from behind a bar inside a deserted building.
- The player can do this in Poke646: Vendetta. In Nation City, there is a empty bar the player has to pass through. Picking up the shotgun makes Aliens telepot in, as convenient target practise.
- Bartender Moe Szyslak keeps a sawed-off shotgun handy in case of cheapskate customers or when he loses his temper, which happens all the time. Or when he just wants to rob people.