Video Game / Intrusion 2
Intrusion 2 is a 2D action platformer developed in Flash similar to Contra
and Metal Slug
. It was made by Aleksey Abramenko, an independent Russian game developer and was released in 2012 for PC. The game is a sequel to Intrusion, a free online flash game.
In it you play as a unnamed soldier with a red scarf who must infiltrate a hostile military corporation on a reserve planet conducting forbidden weapons research. The gameplay is based around using a variety of weapons to kill enemy soldiers and robots with the option to ride several mounts and mech suits.The game is also notable for its physics engine allowing one to use their environment to their advantage.
The game and a demo can be found at http://www.intrusion2.com/
or on Steam
The Intrusion series contains examples of
- Advancing Boss of Doom: Grabber, when you damage it's boosters. Eventually they snap off, but it keeps crawling. M.A.C.E.'s first phase counts as well.
- Background Boss: M.A.C.E. will jump into the background and sweep the area with a laser while firing a Macross Missile Massacre in between.
- Bottomless Magazines: So long as you have ammo weapons can be fired indefinitely, with the exception of the grenade launcher which automatically reloads after each shot.
- BFG: The gun wielded by a certain type of Mini-Mecha becomes this when you destroy the mecha and pick it up yourself. Dan is an extreme example.
- Bullet Hell: Maku and MACE use this.
- In fact, Maku's name, combined with the name of her gun, Dan, form danmaku, which is the Japanese term for the Bullet Hell genre.
- Crosshair Aware: Crosshairs indicate where missiles are going to land during the snowboarding stage, and in the boss fight with MACE they show where his fists will land and where his electric field attack will form.
- Corridor Cubbyhole Run: When MACE goes into the background, you need to activate the machine to create platform walls to hide behind from his huge laser. MACE will try to counter this by firing rockets that push the platform back down.
- Energy Weapons: The blaster is a laser rifle and the machine gun and double rifle may be some sort of plasma gun. Maku wields a large laser cannon, and MACE shoots lasers out of its eyes.
- Eye Beams: The giant robot boss MACE shoots massive lasers out of his eyes.
- Finger Firearms: Mace has these, and he can shoot both fireballs and homing missiles from them, as such...
- Fingore: ...you eventually have to destroy most of said fingers.
- Genius Programming: Smoothly-implemented spritework and a nicely-done physics engine...and it's all by ONE GUY.
- Goomba Stomp: Jumping on enemy soldier's heads is a effective way to defeat them and will even earn you a Steam achievement.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Dan Maku is japanese for Barrage.
- Guns Akimbo: Duel pistols can be used but do to the low damage and ammo capacity they are really only useful as backup weapons, especially later in the game.
- Humongous Mecha: The final boss MACE is a giant robot, complete with Eye Beams, giant missiles, and huge electrified fists that also shoot lasers.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: Where to begin with Maku, she uses a laser cannon twice as big as her, twirls it around like a baton , swings around on a grappling hook while shooting it,uses it as some sort of jetpack , fires it at a disco ball to reflect and split the beam, and fires it into the ground to make molten lava shoot out of the ground and partially fill the cave.
- You're also allowed to use weaponry of your choice to deflect or destroy certain projectiles, such as missiles.
- Marathon Boss: MACE might take a couple hours, mostly because of it's head that just keeps absorbing damage.
- Boss Arena Recovery: To keep it somehow manageable, every now and then he reaches for a container with some goodies, and some baddies.
- Mini-Mecha: Enemies as well as the player can ride in three kinds of mech suits, some with rifles and homing missile launchers, others with machine guns and giant knives, and ones with a harpoon arm allowing them to grab enemies or objects and throw them as weapons.
- Multi-Stage Battle: Grabber and MACE
- Rocket Ride/Riding the Bomb: The final area of the first game takes place on top of a gigantic missile.
- Rule of Cool: Practically everything listed here is a sub-trope of this.
- Savage Wolves: Enemy soldiers ride massive wolves and after killing it's rider the player can mount them. They can run faster and jump farther and higher then the player can on foot, and will automatically bite any enemy in range and all weapons except duel pistols can be fired while riding them.
- Scarf of Asskicking: The main character has a flowing red scarf, and since he shoots laser guns at flying octopus robots while riding a giant wolf, his status as an asskicker is pretty obvious.
- Shout-Out: The Steam achievement for killing enemies with a Goomba Stomp is called "Plumbing" and the icon is a Mushroom.
- There's a level titled Bionic Gear, which introduces a Mini-Mecha armed with a massive grappling hook, likely a Bionic Commando Shout-Out.
- MACE's aforementioned Background Boss attacks (a sweeping laser and a series of missiles fired in an arc) are very similar to those used by General Tor in Iji. Even the pose he uses while firing them matches.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: The boss Maku is a average size but very thin woman who wields a positively massive laser cannon. It is also apparently called Dan.
- Tennis Boss: Maku will surround her self in a blob of energy and fire large grenades at you, the only way to damage her in this form is to shoot the grenades back at her. The missiles fired by Rifle mechs can also be deflected in this manner. When MACE goes into the background, the yellow-tipped rockets he fires out can be shot enough times so they fly back at him.
- Vehicular Assault: The Grabber. After it explodes, you get to surf it's debris down a mountain and finish it's parachuting pilots off.
- You Will Not Evade Me: MACE has full control of your movement. First he grabs the corridor leading to a building; then he lets you go inside and uproots it with everything inside, including you.