Motoko: This is.. This calm serenity is as if she were a Buddha! There's a Buddha behind her?!
WA-H! She's dying from the cold! Mutsumi-san, get a hold of yourself!
This is a comedy trope found in anime and manga. Sometimes, a character may feel like they could die at any moment due to some form of sudden external stimulation or just plain exhaustion. It could be getting knocked out with a sudden blow to the head, being scared half to death, a sudden shock to the system, being pushed to the point of physical exhaustion, or some other form of Amusing Injury
. This results in the character's very soul momentarily escaping from their body, most often from their mouth
It doesn't matter how it happens, but it's a comedic way of showing that the character just nearly died or felt like they are about to. They nearly gave up the ghost. This is always just temporary and the character is likely to be back to normal in the next scene.
Contrast the Western Winged Soul Flies Off at Death
, which usually indicates death (and the soul has to be forced back if not).
Anime & Manga
- Chip does this in Sonic Unleashed after claiming that lack of food access would be so horrible, he would die.
- This happens in Sega Genesis' Ghostbusters game. In the "Castle" level, you (the player) find two of your fellow 'Busters under the spell of a Possessor. When fully exorcised, the Green Ghost that you have to trap escapes from the Ghostbuster's mouth.
- Whenever one of the party members is KO'd in the Epic Battle Fantasy series. Strangely averted with Anna though.
- One of the death animations for enemies in Ninja Baseball Bat Man. Comes with a short tune of Fur Elise for some weird reason.
- By Rachel and Dory when they first meet Derek in Moon Crest 24.
- Karin-dou 4koma:
- Elza, after she slips a disc trying to pick up a heavy box without using strength magic.
- Mifi, after Elza says she's going on a date. Seren urges Mifi to put her soul back in before she dies. Mifi's speech bubbles come from the soul until Mifi sucks it back in.
- Elza-as-Mifi, after Seren burns her ultra deliciously.
- Sachi, out of simple exhaustion from climbing all the stairs to the shrine.
- Tamaryu, during a forced study session.
- Catherine, after getting hit at the end of the No Laughing Game.