Otherwise known as Phil Lester. He's been making YouTube videos since 2006, is intensely adorable, and also possibly insane.He frequently collaborates with YouTuber/roommate/best friend Dan Howell, and even hosts two collaboration series of sorts on his channel— the seasonal baking videos (mostly), and "Phil is Not On Fire", ostensibly a Q&A show, but one that answers very little, with no normal prompts and lots of bizarre and amusing improv instead.He and Dan also share a gaming channel at Dan And Phil Games. Any tropes relating to those videos should go on that page.In addition to his online content, he and Dan co-host a weekly radio show on BBC Radio 1.
- Adorkable: Practically the epitome of the trope.
- Ambiguously Bi: He's never officially come out, since he isn't fond of labels, but he often makes references to finding both genders equally attractive.
- Amusing Injuries: As he is not the most coordinated person, these happen often.
- Animal Motifs: There is a repeated lion motif in several of his videos (more apparent in past videos than more recent ones), such as his stuffed lion who is a Deadpan Snarker and makes comments about Phil's stories through annotations, his "Draw Phil Naked" fan pictures which would often feature lions, along with a few of his videos being dedicated to lions or at least features a lion in the title. His Krave Challenge onesie was a lion.
- Bishōnen: He's definitely handsome, but he's more pretty than hunky.
- Black Comedy: In the "easter nests" baking video, they use a Bain-marienote , and Phil suggests that the hypothetical "Bain-Marie" for whom it could be named, died this way. Occasionally, Phil will lapse into black comedy without even knowing it.
- Butt-Monkey: He tends to be Dan's primary prank and abuse target and tells many stories of having bad luck. That doesn't mean Dan isn't equally matched in those respects.
- Catch-Phrase: "Hey guys!"
- LessAmazingPhil videos have "Try new things!"
- "[X]? More like [Y]!" or "[X]? More like No!", frequently used as weak attempts at insults.
- Celeb Crush: He had a bit of a thing for Buffy Summers/Sarah Michelle Gellar. He draws the line at Sarah Michelle Gellar with a giraffe-neck, though.
- Color-Coded Characters: To some extent when he is paired with Dan, who is particularly fond of dark and ironic clothing. However, they still look very much alike.
- Comically Missing the Point: He's been known to misinterpret some things, such as when, in their collab with Rosanna Pansino on Nerdy Nummies, he misunderstands Ro's instructions to start the spiderweb pattern on their donuts by piping two crosses spanning the donut. Phil pipes two small crosses on either side before realizing his mistake.
- Covert Pervert: His innocent personality doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable of or interested in some things that aren't so innocent. This is someone who will Squee! over a virtual puppy and use a stuffed animal as one of his symbols, but he will also casually discuss the weirdness of macrophilia during a party game or turn what was supposed to be a simple joke tweet on Dan's account into an uncomfortably plausible Dan-musing on a reindeer-kink fantasy.note
- Creepy Child: Phil may have been this, if his stories from The Rabit iz comin to get youu are anything to judge by:
- All that was left of Adam was a pool of bludd. The police came, and said they couldn't find Adam's body enywere. After that the school was shut down, and the monster that kild Adam still lives under streets. One of the man in seuwer got hold of monster fayse. The face was a mask. Under the mask was Adam's teecher. After that he went to prisun for life.One sunny day a little girl came up to the rabbit and patted it. The next thing she knew the rabbit bit a hole in her neck and she was dead. Then the police came to arrest the rabbit, but the rabbit bit a hole in every policeman's neck and they all died. One day because the rabbit had killed all those people, the army had to come with their big tanks and shoot him, and that was the end of the rabbit.
- Creepy Doll: When on tour in America, he discovers that his room has quite a few old-fashioned jester dolls in it, which also have stories of being haunted attached to them. He resolves to sleep on the sofa for the duration of his stay.
- Crossover: With danisnotonfire. All. The. Time.
- Cute and Psycho: Older videos showcase more of Phil's... weirder side. He still retains a lot of that vibe. Prime examples are the times when he breaks out the black humour, casually spews odd facts about topics like pyromania, his general tendency to suddenly start staring wide-eyed at the camera without a word for some time and saying things that are sometimes flat-out Nightmare Fuel material. The last April Fool's prank with Dan takes it to an all new height.(in a disturbing falsetto): "Let's fix it with lamb's blood!"
- Does Not Like Spam: It used to be bananas - he's grown past it. He still hates cheese, tomato juice, and carbonated water.
- Epic Fail: When a creepy old woman comes to his door inviting him to meet "The Holy Mother", he refuses by saying "maybe next time" instead of a hard refusal. He mentions the paranoia induced by this error.
- Eskimos Aren't Real: As a child, Phil used to think that seahorses were mythical creatures until he saw them at an aquarium.
- Evil Laugh: When he's serious enough about it he's surprisingly good at this, to the point that it scares even Dan at times.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Naturally. He's even got multiple remarks about it from fans and friends.
- Extreme Doormat: A trait he attributes to his Britshness. It causes him great chagrin, such as when he finds himself unable to make a comeback to a rude neighbor or when he goes along with an insane gym plan, risking the possibility of vomiting on his trainer due to built-up nausea.
- Failed Dramatic Exit: When his childhood club was taken over by girls and completely changed, Phil attempted to storm out in anger...leaving his shoes behind. He defied the embarrassing return, however, and opted to abandon his shoes forever.
- Footsie Under the Table: This happened to him when he was on an elementary school pizza date. His innocence and awkwardness keep him from protesting, but when the girl starts lifting his trouser leg with her foot, his ticklish reflex causes him to bump the table and kick her, saving him.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves animals (especially lions), and will try to cuddle any pet he encounters.
- This was also shown in Phil's baby video where it is revealed that he had a "house rabbit", which is his pet rabbit that lived in his house because she didn't like living in a cage.
- He is, however, afraid of horses. This apparently doesn't apply to horses with human faces though.
- Even if he's dead scared of a bug or spider in his bed or on the wall, he does his best to evict it from the surroundings without killing or hurting it.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: He intentionally swears very little and very mildly on camera, and in the rare occasions where he does drop a more extreme curse, he normally beeps it out, serving as a good foil to Dan's foul mouth. He has stated that he has built a relatively clean image and his grandparents watch his videos, so he tries to avoid swearing. He does curse off-camera, however.
- In the song The Internet is Here, which ends their first stage show, Phil intervenes when Dan is about to say the word 'shit' by yelling "rubbish!"
- When making a precursor video to their 2018 tour themed on doing what the audience asks, a popular viewer request was to get Phil to swear. He tries to weasel his way out of it with "crap", "ass", and "bloody hell", but Dan's pressuring drives him to give up and just drop an F-bomb for the camera.
- Grounded Forever: When discussing the first (and only) time he ever smoked, and immediately got caught...Phil: I was too awkward to discuss it, or make an excuse, so I was grounded straight away. (imitating Lemongrab) ONE MILLION YEARS... DUNGEON! ...In fact, I think I might be still grounded. ...Let's find out!
(cut to Phil on the phone with his mum)
Phil's Mum: Hi, Phil, how are we doing?
Phil: Hi, I was just wondering if I'm still grounded because of that smoking thing when I was eleven.
Phil's Mum: Yes. Forever.
Phil's Mum: Yes!
- Guyliner: Not frequently, but he dons it sometimes when playing a character in a sketch to supplement his storytelling.
- The Insomniac: Not chronically, but he sometimes has sleepless nights, which he's turned into a vlog series.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Dan - they've been living together since 2010 and are inseparable, even standing up for each other in case of any drama and constantly supporting each other through hell and back.
- He shares a similar equation with Kickthe PJ.
- Iconic Outfit: Loud, colourful shirts or tees with quirky prints and motifs, black skinny jeans, mismatched socks make up most of his fashion choices and the trademark side-swept fringe caps it all off. Sparkly coats and denim jackets may count too. Phil has acknowledged his distinctive fashion sense when having it challenged by viewer-selected outfits both reasonable and sadistically ridiculous.
- Ironic Name: "Philip" means "friend to horses", but horses are one of the exceptions to Phil's love for animals.
- Keet: He's like a walking anime character.
- The Klutz: Says he is such in several videos and occasionally demonstrates it.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: For a time, like Dan, but once the two got haircuts, they stayed.
- Malaproper: He'll occasionally say very different things from what he intended to say, and which sometimes sound inappropriate. If this is the case and he himself doesn't notice, it doesn't pass dirty-minded Dan without a lampshade.
- Manchild: While he is a 30-year-old man (as of 2017), he retains an almost-innocent essence to his personality.
- Midnight Snack: Both Dan and Phil have mentioned numerous times his habit of eating Dan's cereal directly from the box at any given time of the day.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Phil is often the victim of this whenever Phil and Dan are together in a video. The best example of this was when Dan and Phil challenged each other to see who was recognised more by the fans which resulted in Dan being recognised faster than Phil.
- Nerds Are Sexy: He was voted Sugarscape's Hottest Lad of 2013. But he also has an undergrad English degree, a postgrad Theatre, Film and Television degree, and getting an MFA in Video Postproduction.
- Nerd Glasses: He has them, but rarely wears them in videos when he's not being Science Phil, only making an exception when he decides to forgo his contacts.
- Nice Guy: Apart from his reputation as one of the most humble and least problematic YouTube creators, he's also known for handing out warm hugs to anyone who might need one and not being the first one to pull away. He also takes the time to respond to as many comments as possible and gives genuinely good advice to anyone who asks for it.
- Old Soldier: Although his personality is anything but that of a broody sergeant, he is quite the Youtube pioneer, as he has been making videos since 2006 and became quite popular before the rest of the British YouTube scene. This long-running reputation has been acknowledged by fellow creators later on.
- Older Than They Look: Don't be fooled by the baby face: as of January 2017, he is thirty years old.
- Once per Episode: "Hey guys!" and Draw Phil Naked, the latter having been discontinued as of September 2015 due to submissions becoming increasingly gross and defeating the original humourous purpose of it.
- Oop North: His first videos showcase his Northern accent. It's still rather prominent.
- Pretty Boy: While he doesn't really aim for the vibe, he's not the manly type.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: He's ridiculously pale and dyes his hair completely black.
Dan (hands clasped and eyes shut, in a dramatic crescendo): "Hair of raven, skin of snow! Clumsiest of them all! The time for baking has arrived! PHILIP! HEAR MY CALL!"
- Dan refers to this along with other defining traits when he 'summons' Phil in a Halloween baking video with this little invocation -
- When asked by viewers to swap styles, Dan notes that this makes Phil look rather fitting in an outfit from Dan's wardrobe, as the outfit combined with his hair and skin give him a Deliberately Monochrome vibe.
- Real Person Shipping: Fans tend to ship Phil with Dan. A lot.
- Running Gag:
- Phil's obsession with buying house plants and subsequent failure to look after them properly.
- Sneaking ingredients for himself in the baking videos, to the point where, in the pumpkin cookies video, Dan showed that he had to prepare and get two new bags of marshmallows for their cocoa because Phil had eaten all but one from the bag they already had. He's also prone to eating Dan's cereal as a snack, and their second Google Feud video has the two playing for the last macaroon they have...because Phil ate all the rest.
- Providing fanciful alternative origins for the ingredients used in their baking, which usually get questioned by Dan.
- Whenever he and Dan dress up in costumes or other novelty outfits, he makes Dan wear the weird or embarrassing outfits while he gets the cool ones. From this, Dan has been made to wear a kangaroo onesie, a muscle morphsuit, a bizarre squid outfit, the Tabitha shirt out of their Howlter family merch, and a Sailor Fuku uniform. Phil gets away with a shark headband, the heroes of the anime they're dressing as, Dil's shirt, and a typical British male school uniform.
- Phil frequently (and incorrectly) using "that broke the sound barrier" after things of very high volume, only for Dan to again remind him that the sound barrier is broken by speed. He seems to be learning, however, as he's since casually dropped the phrase in the proper context when referring to a falling character's velocity in Fortnite.
- Running Gagged: Draw Phil Naked, a brief fanart showcase at the end of videos, was officially ended in September of 2015.
- Spot of Tea: Phil meets the epitome of this trope on an airplane ride: the Tea People, insane passengers who drank gallons of tea, and, of course, frequently interrupted him with their regular bathroom breaks.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Self-explanatory. Don't let his childlike personality make you forget that he is 6'2'' (188cm).
- Take That!: He generally avoids conflict but this response to a hater is a particularly epic example of why it's best not to rile him up."Well, if you're calling people ugly on the internet, you must be ugly on the inside."
- That Came Out Wrong: All. The. Time. His personality is quite innocent, but the way he words things turns normal sentiments into innuendo for anyone above the age of 12. This also applies to the way he fiddles with random objects and his own hands.
- Occasionally, Phil's mistakes can make his wording sound creepy instead of sexual...but in rare cases, it may be both. For an example of the latter, there's the Photobooth Challenge with Dan. In it, he uses a filter that distorts his face and then says in a low voice, "Yeah, you like that, Katie?" Dan's confused horror prompts him to explain that "that" was "stroking her hair", but it doesn't help, as it was already too weird on both fronts.
- Those Two Guys: With best friend Dan. Contrary to most Youtube duos, they originally weren't an double-act and rose to fame on their own respective channels. However, it is becoming rarer and rarer to see one without the other: they live together, very frequently appear in each other's videos, have created three collaborative side channels, got their own radio show on BBC1, were offered a dual cameo by Disney in the UK version of Big Hero 6, have hosted award shows together, and pretty much always appear side by side for interviews or conventions.
- Weirdness Magnet: Phil appears to have a tendency to attract/encounter strange, possibly paranormal things wherever he goes, from his parents' house to his own apartment to anywhere on holiday. Tea People, the Holy Mother, you name it, he's run into it.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The Kool Katz. A club which Phil was a part of when he was 11. It was a Kool Gang which he made after he was removed from the other group on his street, "THE BOYZ". His friend Jessica was the leader and treasurer. Soon the other boys left the group, and the girls spent their time talking about boys and makeup. They also had a new, terrifying ASCII mascot named CiCi.
- Your Mom: Phil drops these frequently when playing games with Dan and there are some collaboration problems or the competition is heating up. However, he tends to use these as reflexive comebacks to whatever Dan was just frustrated about, and so they lack the context or structure to count as a proper insult, joke, or threat.