Web Video: The Amazing Atheist
T.J. in his natural habitat
I review the previews, to let YOU know which trailers are failures!
— The Distressed Watcher
Thomas "The Amazing Atheist" Kirk (or as he ironically calls himself, the god of the Godless) is an atheist who has been making videos on YouTube
since joining the site on November 20, 2006. Although the subject matter of his earlier videos centered almost entirely around atheism and anti-theism, he rarely deals with those topics today. Instead, most of his current videos are either social commentary or purely comedic in nature.
His style is loud, boisterous, and unapologetically offensive. However, he claims that these are his honest opinions. The Amazing Atheist never has even the slightest qualm about speaking his mind, despite sounding offensive to various targets. That hasn't stopped him from making quite a few enemies, especially because of his strident anti-radical-feminism. In recent years, he has befriended author and activist Howard Bloom, and has given Bloom the floor on several topics. He also co-hosts the Drunken Peasants
podcast with Ben and, on occasion, his brother Scotty.
He has also written four books: In Defense of Evil
, Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman
, Final Revelation
, and Neckbeard Uprising
. Like most of his videos, the books are part philosophical, part comedic, and part autobiographical.
When not using the Amazing Atheist moniker, he often goes by T.J., Terroja, or The Distressed Watcher
. His YouTube
channel can be found here
. His alternate channel, TJdoeslife, where he posts off-topic videos, Q & As, and other things that wouldn't fit on his main channel, can be found here
. Though he was forced to take down most of his older videos in early 2009 due to YouTube's increasingly strict censorship policies, you can watch a few hundred of them here
if you are so inclined.
Notable Tropes Invoked by the Amazing Atheist:
- Metaphorgotten: "Those who live in glass houses can't throw diamond encrusted dildos..."
- Never Trust a Trailer: The Distressed Watcher's Trailer Failure
- Never Trust a Title: He prefaces most of his sporadic film reviews with "WORST MOVIE EVER?!" He's just as likely to give them positive or mixed reviews, however.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: He more-or-less used this to describe his fiction writing style in one of his videos.
- Noodle Implements: He once got embroiled in a sex scandal involving chocolate syrup, pot coffee, and a banana.
- You Keep Using That Word: Discussed in a video in which TJ talks about common phrases people use without thinking about what they actually mean.
The Amazing Atheist
: Here's something people say after some kind of tragedy or things don't turn out as planned, someone will always say, "You know, it is what it is." And it's always with that sage like tone as if we should be in awe of them for taking that common saying and infusing it with such weight and wisdom. It is what it is... yeah it is... IS what it is. Obviously!
Of course it is what it is! That's what it is!
That is like saying yellow is yellow.