Web Video: Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?
Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?
, aka HAWP, is a video series by Destructoid hosted on Gametrailers.
It is presented in short episodes, usually only a few minutes long. Any given episode typically begins with
Ashly's older brother, Anthony, asking his sister what game she's currently playing
, whereupon she responds and the siblings (and sometimes their friends) conduct a skit/parody of said game. Said skit can consist of her acting as the game's characters, putting herself into the game's situation and acting completely unlike the characters (she'd rather play Connect Four with herself than fight the horde
) or even just sitting and yelling at the game while she plays it.
Tropes that apply to Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?:
- Elmer Fudd Syndrome: Ash slurs her speech when she replies to the Title Drop at the start of each episode. Depending on her level of insanity, it can persist the whole episode.
Anthony: Hey Ash, watcha playin'?
Ashly: Twauma Centah.
- Exact Words: When a fan asked them to cosplay Sakura from Street Fighter, they weren't specific on which one of them had to dress up.
- Fake Band: A literal one in the Rock Band episode, moreso by the fact that they don't even own Rock Band, but rather an incompatible series of instruments from different Music Games.
- Fan Disservice:
- The Street Fighter IV episode has Anthony looking distinctly unsexy in a Sakura outfit.
- The "Hot Slutz" episode has Anthony resentfully wearing a bikini; Ash decides he needs more cleavage, so pieces of paper are very sloppily stuffed into the top.
- The Gadfly: Usually people whose names aren't Anthony
- Gamer Chick: Ashly; the premise of the show revolves around her taking the games she plays a bit too seriously.
- Gender-Inverted Trope:
- George Jetson Job Security: Each Gearbox Software episode ends with Anthony getting fired for Ash's misdeeds, including leaking info to Kotaku, announcing free blow jobs, and punching the CEO of Gearbox in the balls.
- A God Am I: In Anthony's retelling of getting the writing job for Borderlands 2, Ashly!Anthony realizes that he's Armed with Canon.
Ashly!Anthony: I can create motherfucking universes with my mind!
- Groin Attack:
- Papa Burch shoots Anthony below the belt in the Red Dead Redemption episode.
- Ash punches Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford in the groin as punishment for the ending to Borderlands.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: In the Quantum Conundrum episode:
Anthony: Yeah, but come on-
Ashly: You lost me after "butt cum".
- It's Pronounced Kaw-tick
Justin: "You said it's pronounced 'Koe-tic.'"
: I Lied.
*shoots Justin repeatedly*
- Ashly, whose antics generally involve someone getting hurt.
- Papa Burch has some very dark tastes, and has a very low (and justified) opinion of his children.note
- Lecherous Licking: Beware: if you break the rules of Local Multiplayer Etiquette, Papa Burch will lick your face.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Anthony gets kind of frustrated when people meet David "Papa" Burch in real life and cons and they're annoyed that he's not a jerk like in the show.
- Missing Mom: In a way. Mama Burch is just camera shy.
- Most Common Superpower: Discussed Trope. In their opinion, there's nothing wrong with fanservice, but a character needs to have personality traits beyond being sexy.
- Motor Mouth: Ashly, especially in Season Two and onwards.
- Name's the Same:
- Ashly (Burch) and Ashley Davis, who does Once Upon a Pixel. Anthony is now married to Ashley Davis, but this didn't stop Ashly (his sister) from making incest jokes.
- In the Season 3 finale, Anthony gets letters threatening Ash, so they agree to work together. Except he was protecting the wrong Ashley. This can be easily explained by the fact that Anthony could easily have assumed "Ashley" was a misspelling of his sister's name, and there are a lot more reasons for someone to try and kill Ash than his wife.
- Nausea Fuel: In-universe Ashly steals the clothes off Papa Burch during the parody of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The look on her face says that she did not think that through.
- Nintendo Hard: The Trauma Center episode includes a Take That against Atlus:
"I never beat Trauma Center!"
"Nobody did, it's a fuckin' Atlus game."
- Noir Episode: The appropriately-named "Noir," the episode they did for YouTube Geek Week. The game they're spoofing ends up being Mario is Missing!
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: During Gearbox Part 2, as Brent lists off all the eclectic things he does, a big subtitle goes up:
"ALL OF THIS IS ACTUALLY TRUE"
- One Steve Limit: Averted in the The Sims episode. Anthony proposes to Ashley while his sister Ashly is in the room.
- Only Sane Man: Anthony, who plays the Straight Man to all of Ashly's hijinx.
- Pet the Dog: Theoretically, Ashly getting Anthony toilet paper in the Elite Beat Agents episode. Her method of delivery, imitating the gameplay of the series, is rather circuitous, however.
- Promoted Fanboy: Both Ash and Anthony have broken out into careers in the games industry. Anthony works for Gearbox, and has worked on Borderlands 2 as head writer. Ash, meanwhile, has gone into voice acting, portraying Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2 and Ayla in Awesomenauts.
- The entire Burch clan are also DLC homies for Saints Row IV.
- Ashly has also broken out into anime dubbing, her debut role being Sasha Blouse in Attack on Titan.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Ashly, whose wacky antics often involve brutality to her surroundings.
- Special Guest: Freddie Wong in the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze episode as the "Hype Man".
- Stepford Smiler: Ashley (Davis). Played for Laughs as all she does is smile no matter what. Up to and including her 3DS being stolen right from her hands.
- Straight Man and Wise Guy: Anthony is the straight man, taking games an important, artistic form. Ash is the wise guy, making cutting comments and jabs at whatever logical or interesting points her brother makes.
- There Are No Therapists: Double Subverted in the Mass Effect 2 episode. Anthony calls a therapist for a session, but Ashly doesn't care and Papa Burch gets mad at him due to not going to Fuddruckers.
- Too Dumb to Live: In the "Once Upon A Pixel" episode (which started the Spin-Off video series with the same name), Papa Burch tells Ashly and Anthony that he needs to go out, and is dropping them off at daycare. Anthony starts to protest, but then notices Ashly:
Anthony: Ash, what the hell are you doing?
Ashly: [Sticking a fork into a plug socket] INNNFAMOUS!
(cuts to Anthony and Ash in daycare)
- Two Gamers on a Couch: Pretty much the basis of the Uncharted 2 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl episodes, among others. Well, two big poofy armchairs at least.
- Wearing A Flag: Ash wears an American flag over herself in the Civilization 5 episode.
- Whole Plot Reference: Anthony accuses Uncharted 2 of being this to Firefly, and Nathan Drake of being an Expy of Captain Malcolm Reynolds.
- With Lyrics: From the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time episode:
"Zelda's haaat, why's it weeeird, she looks liiike a nun..."
"E-po-na! Here's-your-song! Get-the-fuck-right-here!"
"Sa-ri-a is a kid, this is kinda vaaaguely pe-do-philic... and kinda gross..."
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: Ashly has a fairly impressive vocal range, portraying a wide variety of roles from insane children to potato-loving monster hunters to professional secretaries.
- Women Are Wiser: Inverted. Anthony, the male of the duo, is morally superior to the female Ashly.
- You Are Too Late: Ashly declares that she's going to poop in Anthony's bed while he's playing Guitar Hero. Anthony tries to pause the game and stop her, but it turns out that she broke the pause button earlier. By the time he finishes playing, well...
Anthony: ...This is your room.
(Cut to the credits screen))