open/close all folders
- Done in Are We Done Yet?, as the doctor power-walks to the family's house. There's no slow motion here since he is speedwalking and not running.
- Bruce Almighty does this as Bruce runs in front of a line of kids and pours milk over their heads. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Happens in Happy Gilmore during one of the slow-motion running golf swings.
- The live-action How the Grinch Stole Christmas! has this as the Grinch participates in a potato-sack race.
- In Madagascar, this theme music is played when Alex and Marty find each other after getting shipwrecked in Madagascar, and run towards each other in slow motion. Then Alex gets angry and starts chasing Marty... still in slow motion.
- A version of this music plays in Mr. Mom during the company picnic which includes a short footrace with everyone wearing diving flippers. True to form the entire race is shown in slow-motion.
- National Lampoon's Vacation uses this, as the Griswolds run toward the entrance of Wally World.
- Good Burger uses this when Ed and Dexter deliver a burger to Shaquille O'Neal.
- A rare literary example occurs in Bloodsucking Fiends. During the turkey-bowling event at Tom's night job, one of the bowlers imagines the theme to Chariots of Fire playing as he lines up his shot. Then it all goes wrong.
- Sesame Street had a parody named Chariots of Fur, with Grover running to the theme until he dropped from exhaustion.
- Neil Patrick Harris and Max Casella are involved in this in an episode of Doogie Howser, M.D.
- Who's the Boss? plays this while Tony is in a swimming race.
- The London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony included the theme being played by the London Symphony Orchestra, with Mr. Bean on synthesizer. The skit then shifted to Mr Bean's fantasy of the scene, with himself in Eric Liddell's place.
- QWOP plays the first few bars of this when you get to running speed. If you get to running speed.
- During his playthrough of Dead Space 2, Jesse Cox encountered a trio of glitched Necromorphs running in place. It immediately reminded him of Chariots of Fire, prompting him to sing the song as as he fires at them.
- In the Joueur du Grenier episode about the Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue video game, the theme is used in background while mocking the simplistic and stiff walking animation of the player character.
- In the Alvin and the Chipmunks episode "Dreamlighting" (which itself is a parody of Moonlighting), Jeanette/Ms. DaPest runs to catch a bottle of explosive rocket fuel before it hits the ground; the sequence is played in slow-motion and is accompanied by a very slight rearrangement of the Chariots of Fire theme.
- In The Smurfs cartoon special "The Smurfic Games", Clumsy strains to reach the finish line at the end of the Smurfathlon while a slight rearrangement of the Chariots of Fire theme tune plays.
- The Simpsons: In the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon shown in "Lisa's First Word" the theme can be heard while Scratchy is running during an Olympic game.
- Seen in the Rocko's Modern Life episode "From Here to Maternity," as Filburt attempts to beat a stork to the O-Town Hospital, when running to the main entrance, everything then goes into slow-motion as a sound-alike of the Chariots of Fire theme plays, as Filburt manages to run ahead of the stork. But then the music stops (with Record Needle Scratch) and the speed returns to normal when the stork catches up and swipes Filburt's glasses so he can't see where he's going.