Fan Fic / Calvin and Hobbes Get XTREME!
As stupid as it may sound, Calvin and Hobbes Get XTREME!
revolves around Calvin and Hobbes being placed in a series of scenarios wherein they must endure several physical challenges. This is the only thing these stories have in common.
Despite its rather bare-bones gimmick, it's still worth a read for its funny moments.
This series contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: The clones' whereabouts are teased at the end of Chapter 9 and then never addressed.
- All of Them:
"What should we get?" Calvin asked.
"Soda and cotton candy, soda and popcorn, popcorn and cotton candy, or soda and peanuts, or peanuts and cotton candy, or—"
"Ah, to heck with it! Let's take it all at once!"
- Arc Words: Chapter 5 has "Eye of the Tiger."
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "We're raving from cold and starvation and lack of comic books."
- Artistic License – History: Played for Laughs when Calvin remarks on how his father had fun with books and Monopoly:
- Awesome Moments: In-Universe, the jump made at the end of chapter 3 gets a lot of squeeing by the narrator.
- Bears Are Bad News: In the second chapter.
- Big Damn Heroes: Hobbes manages to save Calvin from Moe this way while riding his bike.
- Big "WHAT?!": Calvin after Hobbes declares that he'll be beaten up by Susie in chapter 10.
- Bittersweet Ending: A lighter variation in Chapter 4 - though Calvin gets grounded, he and Hobbes manage to achieve their goal of soaking every female they could, and he considers it a good day.
- Black Comedy: Lampshaded in Chapter 6.
Calvin: Did I miss anything?
Hobbes: Just a weird guy telling chicken jokes and road jokes. They were about as exciting as a chicken crossing the road.
Calvin: Unless the chicken got hit by an oncoming car.
Hobbes: That would be sick.
- Breather Episode: Chapter 9 is entirely dedicated to the duo relaxing and having fun.
- Calvinball: The focus of the 10th and final chapter.
- Caught in a Snare: Rosalyn falls into one of these in Chapter 4.
- Chekhov's Volcano: In the first chapter.
- Convection Schmonvection: Hobbes gets stuck in a volcano in the first chapter somehow.
- Cool Shades: Calvin and Hobbes don these in chapter 9.
- Crappy Carnival:
Mom: Circuses have clean animals and nice games. Carnivals have carnies and you need to fill out papers for shots before you go in.
- Crossover: With Garfield in Chapter 6.
- Excited Show Title!
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!:
This is my grueling competition. A little sun… cool water… my best friend… a monster shark… a scared sea gull… Wait a minute. A MONSTER SHARK!
- Explosion Propulsion: An exploding popcorn machine does this to Calvin in chapter 7.
- Fantastic Racism: Hobbes accuses the circus of this when the lions come out in chapter 6.
- Food Fight: In Chapter 6.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Lampshaded when Garfield gives Odie a "four-three" instead of a high-five (Garfield has four fingers, Odie three).
- Hair-Trigger Avalanche: Calvin's grumbling stomach causes one of these in chapter 3.
- Here We Go Again: Hobbes says this at the end of chapter 6.
- Hero Stole My Bike: Calvin steals a kid's skateboard to win the triathlon.
"Excuse us, young man. We're borrowing this for a good cause - 'cause we need it!"
- Horrible Camping Trip: The focus of the second chapter, which mostly consists of several jokes from the strip glued together.
- "I Am Great!" Song: The song Calvin performs in chapter 9.
- Ignored Aesop: The moral of Chapter 7, according to Hobbes, is that too much sugar is bad. At that moment, Calvin happens to be sipping some root beer...
- Incredibly Lame Fun: Calvin regards his father's ideas of fun as this.
- Indy Escape: Calvin and Hobbes are forced to outski a giant snowball in chapter 3.
- Jerkass: The snowshoe rabbit in chapter 3, who leads the duo into an avalanche zone and shows no remorse.
- King of Beasts: Hobbes refuses to believe this.
- Living Legend: Apparently, Calvin and Hobbes become these after a particularly awesome stunt in chapter 3.
- Medium Awareness:
- Me's a Crowd: The plot of Chapter 9.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Chapter 3 has yaks on a North American mountain.
- Mobile Shrubbery: Calvin in Chapter 4.
- Motor Mouth: Calvin after getting hyped up on sugar in Chapter 7.
- Mythology Gag: Calvin (in Spaceman Spiff mode) refers to Hobbes as "Mort", the original name for Spiff.
- No Name Given: The rabbit in chapter 3.
- Non-Indicative Name: The fic has very little in the way of Totally Radical subject matter.
- Noodle Incident: In Chapter 8, Calvin transmogrifies into something that "can't be shown on National Television, nor can it be described in words. We'd get into trouble with the church market."
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Calvin and Hobbes get thrown off a volcano by its eruption and land safely on a palm tree.
- Pepper Sneeze: Garfield does this to the owner of a fancy restaurant in Chapter 6.
- Phlebotinum Breakdown: Calvin's time machine breaks down after landing in 2112 AD (which is actually the Jurassic era due to time reversing).
- Rage Against the Author: Conversed.
- Also implied in-story in chapter 3.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Occasionally.
Hobbes: My legs fell mushier than your brain.
- Running Gag: Calvin getting pegged with ice cream cones after badmouthing girls in chapter 7.
- Saw It in a Movie Once: Calvin on "Eye of the Tiger".
- The Scream: Calvin after his father reveals that they're going to Hawaii and he's staying with Rosalyn (which he isn't).
listed seven levels of Hell
. Calvin's were as follows: Waking up early on a Saturday, sitting in the car for 2½ listening Dad rattle on about something, riding the canoe, unpacking everything, setting up the tents, failing to make a campfire and then eating dry spam because of it.
- Also, Calvin's dad manages to run over a cow, much like Jon Arbuckle.
- From Chapter 3:
- Song Fic: "Eye of the Tiger" pops up near the end of Chapter 5.
- Stock Dinosaurs: Allosaurus and Diplodocus appear in Chapter 8, since it sets in the Late Jurassic.
- Strictly Formula: The very first part of the story has Calvin and Hobbes talking about this in regards to comic books.
- Telepathy: Garfield's theory as to why Calvin can hear his thoughts.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: In-Universe - Calvin and Hobbes believe Captain Maim was ruined when the artist was replaced.
- Threatening Shark: One pops up during the first chapter.
- Time Crash: In chapter 8, Calvin accidentally reverses time - when he and Hobbes head to 2112 AD, they find themselves in the Jurassic era.
- Time Travel: Used in Chapter 8.
- Title Drop: The song at the end of Chapter 5 - "Eye of the Hobbes".
- To the Tune of: "Eye of the Tiger" gets modified lyrics at the end of Chapter 5.
- Vacation Episode: Chapters 1 and 3.
- Vignette Episode: The whole fic is basically this.
- What Does This Button Do?: A variation - Hobbes curiously pulls a rope, which sends Calvin (in a cannon) flying.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: Lampshaded when the setting is said to be "in an unnamed town in an unnamed state".
- Whip It Good: Discussed.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The title.
- You Are Grounded: Calvin gets grounded midway through Chapter 4 for a particularly huge screw-up.
- You Can Talk?:
You can talk? Rabbit: So can you. Hobbes: