Cut to the chase
Hal Roach Sr, and many other directors who wanted to get to the dramatic part of silent films
A plot, or part of one, centered around characters pursuing one another.
A drawn out chase which forms an underlying theme for a series is a Stern Chase
They Have the Scent
is common in short chases.
See also the subtrope Hunting the Most Dangerous Game
Not to be confused with the game show of the same name
or the film of the same name
Anime & Manga
- Honored Enemy of The Riftwar Cycle in which soldiers on the opposing sides of a war band together to escape the dark elves chasing after them to kill them for a variety of reasons.
- In Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian story "Black Colossus", after his defeat, Natohk abducts Yasmela. Conan chases after them.
- In "The Gods Of The North", an obviously magical woman lures Conan into a chase that brings him to her giant brothers. When he kills them, he chases her again — this time, she is seriously frightened.
- In Poul Anderson's A Midsummer Tempest, chasing the escaped Rupert is half the book.
- The Time Scout series is full of these, starting with the second book. Mostly they involve Skeeter Jackson.
- Dick Tracy had this as a major element in his stories as the police detective relentlessly chases a particular villain who gets more and more desperate as he realizes to his terror that this cop will not stop.