Ride: Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast
10- let's not do this! 9- how about we go home? 8...Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast
— Carl Wheezer (doing the countdown)
was a family-simulator ride at Universal Studios Florida
that operated from April 11th, 2003 to August 18th, 2011, later being replaced with Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Based on The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
as well as other Nickelodeon
properties of the time, the ride was set inside the "Nicktoon Studios", where Jimmy Neutron, with Carl alongside, is preparing to show off his latest rocket design, known as the "Mark IV". Things are suddenly interrupted when Ooblar breaks in and steals it, as well as revealing the plan he and King Goobot have formed: to duplicate it and create a massive army to conquer earth. Jimmy Neutron quickly enlists the guests to help him in getting the rocket back. The rocket chase results in encounters with numerous Nicktoons, notably including Hey Arnold!
, The Fairly OddParents
, and SpongeBob SquarePants
.Here's a video of the ride.
Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast provided examples of the following tropes:
- Absentee Actor: Despite being major characters in the series, Sheen, Cindy, and Libby are nowhere to be found in the ride.
- Baleful Polymorph: Ooblar is briefly turned into a Yolkian Elvis by Cosmo.
- Big Bad: King Goobot
- Bowled Over: Played straight when this happens to a random group of Yolkians, with Ooblar and the Mark IV as the bowling ball. He even yells, "strike!".
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: While being flung through Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob says hello to everyone, including referring to the Bikini Bottom fish as "secondary characters".
- Brick Joke: When Ooblar first breaks in, he creates a giant Yolkian-shaped hole in the wall. At the end of the ride, this hole is now seen patched up with wood, but is again broken open when King Goobot busts in.
- The Cameo: Dalai Llama is poofed in when Carl uses Cosmo's wand to summon a bunch of llamas.
- Canon Welding: All Nicktoons co-exist with one-another here, via soundstages.
- The Chase: The ride's primary plot, with Jimmy, Carl, and the riders going in pursuit of Ooblar.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Mark I rocket, as well as Cosmo's wand.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: King Goobot forcing the ride vehicles to do the chicken dance.
- Crossover: With every Nicktoon ever made up to 2003? Check.
- Cowardly Sidekick: Carl is this big time throughout the ride, exclaiming at nearly everything, and as shown above, he can't even start a simple countdown without wanting to back down.
- Delayed Explosion: When Carl zaps King Goobot with Cosmo's wand, there's a brief pause, and then his eggshell explodes.
- Dreamworks Face: Jimmy's expression right on the front side of the building◊.
- Eat My Dust: In the Rugrats scene, Ooblar says, "Eat my cosmic dust, humans!"
- Evil Plan: King Goobot's plan to steal and duplicate the Mark IV so his armies can enslave the earth.
- Hydrant Geyser: During the Hey Arnold! sequence, a fire hydrant gets broken and shoots off a blast of water, which briefly sprinkles the riders via a water effect.
- Idiot Ball: SpongeBob thinks Jimmy's rocket is a "rocket-powered jellyfish". Chaos ensues.
- Jump Scare: A rather unintentional one happened with the ride starting up. Carl's countdown (as shown at the top) is cut off by the screen opening up and the vehicles suddenly taking motion, with Jimmy saying, "The heck with the countdown! We gotta blast!"
- Large Ham: Ooblar
- Laser Cutter: Appears to be utilized by Ooblar when he's cutting through the lab's walls.
- The Load: From the perspective of the ride's storyline, the guests are basically this as they do nothing to help Jimmy whatsoever and only just repeatedly get into trouble.
- Lured Into a Trap: Ooblar purposely leads the protagonists to Yolkus just so they can have Poultra kill them.
- MacGuffin: The Mark IV rocketship
- Medium Blending: Jimmy Neutron's encounters with all of the 2D Nicktoons.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Ooblar is once again this, failing at being menacing at every possible opportunity.
- Mondegreen: Cosmo comically mishears what the two protagonists are saying, hearing "Help us!" as "Elvis", and "achin' head" as "bacon head".
- The Multiverse: What the ride is set in, each Nicktoon world is shown as being accessible via soundstage portal.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Poultra now has a corrosive green breath ability, which proves a brief obstacle for the protagonists.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: When Carl is given Cosmo's wand, he first poofs away Ooblar, who was trying to eat his hair. Turns out that he poofed him away to the exact place he was heading for.
- Noodle Incident: When Jimmy discusses the Mark IV rocket along with the previous Mark I and Mark II rockets, Carl asks, "What happened to the Mark III?" to which Jimmy responds, "Don't ask."
- No Talking Or Phones Warning: The queue line would show three separate videos of the ride's safety spiel being given by SpongeBob, Angelica from the Rugrats, and Donnie from The Wild Thornberrys, the latter comically having to be subtitled due to his gibberish speaking.
- Offscreen Rebuilding: The broken down wall in Jimmy's lab gets patched up within four minutes, even though it was done by just hammering wood over it.
- The Only Ones: Lampshaded when Jimmy mentions that they're the only ones that can save the Nicktoons and the planet, since only they know of the Yolkians' scheme to enslave the earth.
- Oxygenated Underwater Bubbles: This ride uses a slight variation of the trope; as Jimmy and Carl are wearing a bubble around their heads during the Bikini Bottom scene, hence why they are able to breathe.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Ooblar dons a disguise when breaking into Jimmy's lab, a disguise that consists of: Groucho glasses, a camera, and a Universal hat. Jimmy sees right through it, but apparently no one else did.
- Plot Hole: King Goobot somehow being able to make it from the Yolkian Planet to Earth all within a minute.
- Shout-Out: When Jimmy chastises Carl for handing the rocket's remote to Ooblar, he responds, "I couldn't help it, Jim. He used some kind of space alien mind meld on me!"
- Super Window Jump: Jimmy and Carl exit the Rugrats' home by crashing through a window.
- Take Over the World: The Yolkians' grand scheme.
- Took a Level in Badass: Happens with Carl at the ride's ending when he takes out King Goobot with Cosmo's wand.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Since the ride came out in 2003, it obviously represents the Nickelodeon of that era, which was much different from what it is now.
- What Could Go Wrong?: Lampshaded when Jimmy outright says this when Carl questions how safe it is to have the guests ride in the Mark I rocket, which is deemed "slightly unpredictable". He then starts up the Mark I rocket, and it sparks and shakes, suggesting obvious malfunctions.