"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."So, TV Tropes, we meet again... for the last time! A standard phrase when the hero has just walked in on the operation of a villain whom they have met before, implying that the villain recognizes that their clashes have become a recurring element. Usually followed by a recitation of their earlier fight(s) (in case the viewers have forgotten where they should know this guy from), and a Just Between You and Me where the villain explains the protagonist just why he has the advantage this time (often referencing what went wrong with their previous plan and how they incorporated that into their current plot). See also We Will Meet Again, which is used as goodbyes rather than as hellos. Compare Evil Gloating, Affably Evil. Contrast We Gotta Stop Meeting Like This.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Kirby: Right Back at Ya! uses this trope quite a few times. Examples:
Meta Knight: [to Chilidog/Wolfwrath] So, we meet again. But this time will be different. This time, only one of us will survive.
Quixano/Sir Gallant: [to Kazeguru/Windwhipper] So, we meet again. You bested me last time, but this time, I will prevail!
- Vampire Hunter D. In the 1985 film Rei Ginsei says this to D when D arrives at Count Magnus Lee's castle. They had met earlier when Ginsei visited Doris Lang's farm.
- Played for laughs in Shokugeki no Soma. After their competition ends in a draw, Takumi Aldini dramatically declares to Soma that We Will Meet Again. Cut to them sitting next to each other on the bus.
Soma: Hey. We meet again.
Takumi: Shut up! Don't talk to me!
- Parodied in The Far Side when an unremarkable-looking duck greets a man, newly washed up with it on a tiny desert island, with "So, Professor Jenkins!... My old nemesis!... We meet again, but this time, the advantage is mine!"
- In Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!, Dirk Raider to Brewster Rockit. No surprise, as he's a Darth Vader parody. Notably when the both of them meet... at the supermarket.
- Used in a Fan Vid mixing the famous Black Knight scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with Star Wars, pulling straight away the line from Darth Vader.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan works:
- In Turnabout Storm, Trixie pulls this off towards Twilight as part of her Incoming Ham moment.
- My Little Portal: Trixie again. The only difference between here and before is that according to DISCoRD, Trixie remembers Twilight while Twilight does not remember Trixie.
- "So, We Meet Again" is the title of a fan-art where Discord is doing a Blofeld impersonation... with Fluttershy as Right-Hand Cat.
- Used in Code MENT when Lelouch meets Euphemia while in disguise as One. As Euphemia doesn't know who One is under the mask, she tells him they haven't met yet. Lelouch tries to pass it off as having been speaking figuratively, which, as Euphie points out, still doesn't work.
Films — Animation
- Toy Story 2:
Zurg: So, Buzz Lightyear, we meet again, for the last time.
Films — Live-Action
- Star Wars: A New Hope:
Darth Vader: I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.
- Mocked in Spaceballs, where Lone Starr says:
Lone Starr: So, Dark Helmet, at last we meet, for the first time, for the last time.
[whispers to self, repeating the line] Yep!
- Mystery Men:
Blue Rajah: Well, well, well, if it isn't our old friends, the Red Eyes? Good evening gentlemen; we weren't expecting to see you again so... spoon!
- Doctor Sind said this during the ending of Captain Berlin – Savior of the World, but has yet to make a second appearance.
- In the Lone Wolf series, said by Archdruid Cadak in book 14, The Captives of Kaag, referencing the previous book.
Cadak: So we meet again, Lone Wolf.
- Power Rangers Jungle Fury:
Grizzaka: So we meet again. The fear of the city has made me even more powerful than before.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Harmony: So, Slayer, we meet at last.
Buffy: We've met, Harmony, you halfwit.
- Angel gets one of these with Sahjhan, a demon who brings Holtz to present time to kill Angel in season 3. He considers himself and Angel to be rivals, but Angel doesn't remember him at all, thereby tipping him off that Sahjhan is the one behind his recent troubles. In Season 5, Sahjhan returns and it's revealed that his real motivation was to have Connor killed, as Connor was the only person able to defeat Sahjhan.
- Spoofed relentlessly in the Horrible Histories World War II POW sketch. It starts with Commandant Klinsman admitting that he and Squadron Leader Higgins haven't met before, "I just like the way I sound when I say zat." Higgins proceeds to disappear every time the chief looks away, getting dragged back in each time.
Higgins: So, we meet again!
Klinsman: Don't say zat, I say zat!
- Get Smart. Max and 99 have been captured by a Mad Scientist.
Scientist: So Mr. Smart, we meet again.
Max: But we've never met.
Scientist: Oh? It must have been your brother.
Max: But I don't have a brother.
Scientist: Would you like me to make you one?
- Not surprisingly given the length of the series, it shows up in Doctor Who:
- Fifth Doctor — "Earthshock":
Cyberleader: So, we meet again, Doctor!
- Fifth Doctor — "Planet of Fire": Kamelion, in the guise of Howard, strolls into the TARDIS console room.
Kamelion/Howard: Doctor? We meet again.
- Seventh Doctor — "Silver Nemesis":
Cyberleader: So, Doctor, a new appearance. Otherwise, our anticipation of your presence has proved entirely accurate.
- Seventh Doctor — "The Curse of Fenric": The crippled Judson, now possessed by Fenric, stands up and reveals glowing green eyes.
Judson/Fenric: We play the contest again, Time Lord.
- In "The Curse of Fatal Death" (a parody created for the British charity organisation Comic Relief), this is said by a Dalek to the Ninth Doctor (Rowan Atkinson).
- Fifth Doctor — "Earthshock":
- Mock the Week — "Unlikely lines from Doctor Who"
Chris Addison: Davros, we meet again! Oh, Lord Sugar, I'm so sorry.
- Zant in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess drops a variant of the "for the last time" version right before he reawakens the boss Stallord.
- The multiverse-wandering Gilgamesh pulls this in Dissidia: Final Fantasy after stumbling into the crossover war. Unfortunately for his ego, none of the protagonists he's met can remember him, since being summoned blurs their memories of their home-worlds. In fact, besides Bartz, it seems that HE doesn't recognise any of the other characters that he ran into before, either. His very first cutscene involves him searching for Bartz, and running into Squall, Zidane and Vaan; characters with whom he has had direct contact in their respective games. Zidane even goes as far as to say that Gilgamesh would look vaguely familiar to him if he had more arms, which he did as "Alleyway Jack" in FFIX.
- Used in The Dark Intruder by D.I.'s soon-to-be Arch-Enemy, The Pyromaniac/The Waterman. Well, if D.I. doesn't mind too much.
- A possessed toaster in Exterminatus Now. No, really.
Toaster: So, organic named Eastwood. We meet again!
- From By Way of Booty Bay, a sub-comic of Supermegatopia, the strip "Cliffhanger" has another parody. "It seems fate has once more brought us together." is said by... a crab. Not a Giant Enemy Crab, a normal-sized crab. But since at the time the protagonist is caught in a Literal Cliffhanger (with a half-dozen of his party members clinging to him), he's quite distressed, and indeed identifies the villain crab as "the Claw".
- Girl Genius:
- In Servants of the Imperium, a Genestealer Magus who had previously possessed remotely psyker Lyle's mind says this when they're face-to-face.
Magus: So, we meet again psyker. Perhaps you wish for another lesson in psychic defense?
- Darths & Droids, naturally, when reaching the meeting between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan from A New Hope, for once rather faithful to the original.
Darth Vader: I have been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Anakin...
Darth Vader: You killed Anakin. My name is Darth Vader. You consider yourself a paragon of radiance. But when I emerged from your shadow, I saw the damage you had wrought. Look, Obi-Wan. Everything your light touches is corrupted forever. [ignites saber] But I have a different light for you now. When you left me, I was the lowest of the low. Now I am the master.
- In Goblins, it's actually a good guy who says it:
Forgath: Psionic Minmax. We meet again. But this time, I'm not bolted to a wall.
Psion Minmax: Cliched dialogue is fun, isn't it?
- In The Order of the Stick, it's also a good guy who says it, in a magnificent Big Damn Hero moment. (Note that, beyond obscure hints, it's also the first time we get the confirmation those two actually met already.)
Julio Scoundrél: General Tarquin! We meet again!
- Irregular Webcomic!:
- Filmation's 1960s Green Lantern cartoon. Evil Star uses it when he meets the title hero in the episode "Evil Is as Evil Does".
- The Herculoids. In "Mekkano, the Machine Master", Mekkano says it when he confronts the Herculoids.
- In American Dad!'s "American Dream Factory", Haley tries to get in the way of Stan's plans again.
- In an early episode of Family Guy, Stewie's first two teeth declare this to one another. Unable to actually conflict with one another, however, they just agree to bite his tongue.
- Villain-to-villain example: in the Duck Dodgers episode "Enemy Yours", Commander X-2 (Marvin the Martian) says it to his Arch-Enemy... Doctor Woe. You wouldn't believe how much Duck Dodgers is vexed to not being consider his arch-enemy, or even a worthy enemy.
- Danger Mouse says this to Baron Greenback, who has Penfold under mind control in "'Cor! What a Picture".
DM: So. We meet again, tyrannical toad!
Greenback: And you will soon be cat's meat, White Wonder!
- Birdman episode "The Empress of Evil". When Birdman meets Medusa (who he has fought before) he says "So, Medusa, we meet again". She responds "Yes, and for the last and final time."
"Only a master of evil, Darth..."