We Gotta Stop Meeting Like This
A Stock Phrase
involving two recurring characters who meet at least twice in the same awkward, confrontational or dangerous manner.
Maybe Alice and Bob keep meeting by running into each other
, or while fighting off hordes of strangely dressed ninjutsu practitioners
. Or maybe Alice and Bob, while enemies, aren't afraid to chat cheerfully
while trying to beat the living daylights out of each other. If Alice and Bob do this repeatedly and under the same circumstances, one of them is likely to eventually spout the Stock Phrase
Anime and Manga
- Daredevil and his ex the Black Widow get into a brief fight before realizing each other's identities:
Daredevil: We can't go on meeting like this.
Black Widow: True, Matthew. For if we do, we will either fall in love again or do each other grave bodily harm.
Daredevil: Either one would be a disaster.
- In Final Crisis Aftermath, Most Excellent Superbat is haunted by the spirit of Ultimon-Alpha, who tries to get him to be a better hero.
Most Excellent Superbat: Ultimon-Alpha. We must stop meeting like this. Is every old ghost a life coach?
Film - Animated
Rainbow Dash: Applejack!
Applejack: Whoof! And hello to y'all as well, Rainbow. We really gotta stop meetin' like this.
Applejack: ...Rainbow, remember what I said earlier about us not meetin' like—
- Luigi tells this to Malon in chapter 47 of Super Paper Mario X when he finds out she fell down from the sky again.
Film - Live-Action
- My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Happens between Twilight and Flash Sentry. Just replace "meeting" with "bumping into each other".
- Happens at least two more times in the sequel. The second time, Flash is less than pleased, though that was only because he was under the Dazzlings' spell.
Jokes and Humour
- The Battle of Shaker Heights. Kelly has been sent to the office.
Principal Holmstead: Kelly, we have to stop meeting like this.
- Whats Up Doc
Judy: We gotta stop meeting like this.
- A woman is having an affair with her dentist. The dentist tells her one day "We've got to stop meeting like this. You're almost out of teeth." Worth noting where this joke came from: When two people are having an affair, one of them might say this to the other to try to put an end to it, usually unsuccessfully. The joke is putting the phrase in a situation where they're obviously not meeting on purpose.
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman: Dr Quinn says this to a man with a crushed arm.
- Highlander: The Series - "Judgment Day"
Methos: We've got to stop meeting like this, people will talk.
Duncan: We've got to stop meeting like this, Alexi. It's been half a century, what will people say?
- The above dentist joke was used in an episode of The Muppet Show, in one of the Animal Hospital segments.
Ms. Piggy: We have to stop meeting like this.
Patient: [on the operating table] I'll say, I'm running out of organs!
- Power Rangers Dino Thunder: Tommy to Zeltrax during one of their fights.
- In Red Dead Redemption, Dutch says this word for word to John Marston at the end of his story arc.
- In Max Payne, Mona Sax says this to the titular protagonist upon meeting by drawing guns on each other for the second time in the game. Its also the line spoken by Mona upon their first meeting in the second game.
- In the Hitman series the recurring special agent 47 keeps having to rescue says this eventually. 47 notes that it's unlikely.
- The cloaker in Video Game/Payday2 parodies this through one of his random lines when he incapacitates one of the heisters. Other lines imply that the heister and cloaker enjoy being together for that small moment of time.
- In Star Control 2, if you let the Dnyarri mind-control you, it will compel you to seek out an Ur-Quan ship to get yourself killed. The first time this happens, you can reason with the Ur-Quan and he will let you go in exchange for information. If this repeats though, your character can say this exact line (which won't make the Ur-Quan any less pissed at you.) Also, if you keep running out of fuel in deep space, the friendly merchants who come to rescue you will eventually say this.