open/close all folders
- In the comic book series Top 10 there's a blind taxi driver that steers by fate. He and his passengers always arrive where they need to be, but other people in the way... not so much.
- During the early days of Justice Society of America, Dr. Mid-Nite was sometimes shown to drive the car. While Mid-Nite can technically see due to a special visor that plays off the fact that he can only see in total darkness, there's no way he'd ever get a proper license.
Films — Live-Action
- In Sneakers, Whistler, who is blind, has to drive a truck for a small distance, following directions via walkie-talkie.
- In Scent of a Woman, the blind protagonist does this at top speed, following directions from his terrified young friend in the passenger seat. And when he is pulled over, he talks his way out of a ticket with the cop never realizing his blindness.
- In See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Wally, who is blind, does this, following Dave's directions.
- In Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters, the Gray Sisters do this. It would have been creepy enough even if they didn't Drive Like Crazy.
- In the Australian movie Proof, Martin drives this way with his friend Andy giving him instructions.
- Spy Hard has a scene spoofing Speed in which Ray Charles is driving the bus.
- When the only other eligible adult breaks her glasses, the protagonist of Blind Fury gets behind the wheel to escape some bad guys, while taking instructions from a kid.
- In Delirious, Jack blindfolds himself to play "a little game called 'Trust'." He drives at high speed while Laura frantically warns him about upcoming threats. They make out fine. Later, Laura blindfolds Dennis to do the same. It doesn't go so well.
- A variation occurs in Firebirds. When Preston has trouble using the Apache's monocular night vision display, his instructor's solution is to tape a toy periscope (and a pair of bright red panties) over his eyes and have him try to drive a Jeep. While he can technically see through the periscope, Preston has so little peripheral vision that he needs constant directions to keep from crashing.
- In Bílá hůl ráže 7,62note , a short Sci-Fi horror story by Czech author Ondřej Neff, in which the aliens try to invade the Earth by overwriting the human DNA by their own through the visual Brown Note, the authorities recruit a blind man as the exterminator to clean up the research institute captured by aliens through the camera feed of the space probe they've hijacked.note The hero worked as a stunt driver before that.
- Happens twice in The Mentalist, both times by the titular character. The first time he is temporarily blind and guided by Grace in the passenger seat, while the second time he is blindfolded and guided by the unconscious reactions of Walter Mashburn in the passenger seat. Surprisingly, he fares much better in the latter case.
- Tested by MythBusters and confirmed, as people have tried this in real life. Just make sure the person giving directions isn't drunk, because then the driver will drive as if he/she were also drunk.
- Top Gear:
- Season 5, episode 6 features Jeremy Clarkson coaching Billy Baxter, a blind veteran of the British Royal Horse Artillery, around the track in the Suzuki Liana to prove that Richard Whiteley (who held the record for the slowest lap at the time) really is a bad driver. The blind man went a full four seconds faster.
- The post-apocalypse episode has a challenge where the hosts have to navigate their way from point A to point B using only their GPS, as the car's windows were blacked out. Among other things, they ended up going right through a chain link fence at one point.
- Top Gear (US) has this in the second episode. They held a challenge to see who could drift better: Adam, Rutledge, or a blind man coached by Tanner. The blind man and Tanner won.
- In Drake & Josh after Helen gets laser eye surgery, she arrives at the theater and gives the keys to Josh.
Josh: You drove here when you couldn't see!
Helen: Yeah, not one of my better ideas.
- In the telenovela Código Postal, Rafael has been blind since early childhood due to an accident. His Love Interest Marcela helps him to drive a car through the neighborhood. They get pulled over by a cop because they're driving unusually slowly, but Rafael manages to face toward the cop and bluff his way out of a ticket or worse by claiming he was simply being careful. The cop lets them go without asking for a driver's license or confirming Rafael's identity, and leaves without ever realizing that Rafael was blind. Rafael and Marcela share some laughs about it with their friends, and it gets a Continuity Nod later on in the series.
- One episode of MacGyver featured Mac's hands having been injured and Pete being temporarily blinded. So they cooperate to escape from a sticky situation with Pete's hands on the wheel and Mac telling him where to go.
- Woozie in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has a version — he's really good at racing around designed tracks (like the race where CJ first meets him), but regular driving tends eat up a lot of time (his right-hand man, after CJ asked where Woozie was, said that he insisted on driving himself. "Could be anywhere.")
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob has to learn a driving course blindfolded as part of a Drill Sergeant Nasty's Training from Hell. Unfortunately, he can't drive without being blindfolded afterwards.
- In an earlier episode SpongeBob gets directions from Patrick over walkie-talkie in order to pass his driving test — not blindfolded, however.
- Chowder once has a Magoo-esque character driving across the city, with police giving chase, and crashing into Mung Daal's kitchen, mistaking it for his home.
- Naturally, this happens to Mr. Magoo every time he goes driving. In "Magoo's Puddle Jumper" he manages to drive his car into the ocean, but luckily for him the car is watertight.
- In The Boondocks, Stinkmeaner is blind and such an asshole that he drives himself and doesn't care what he crashes into.
- An early episode of Family Guy opened with a blindfolded Peter gushing about how he couldn't wait for his birthday party. Lois tells him to take off the blindfold from off-screen and he protests that it would ruin the surprise. It then pans out to reveal that he's the one driving.
- Ray Charles used to drive a moped in his youth. After he was blinded.
- The Ouninpohja stage of Neste Oil Rally Finland is one of the most prestigious special stages in rallying, known for it's high speed jumps and sweeping corners, and the fact that Timo Mäkinen once drove this stage with his bonnet open.