Delirious is a 1991 John Candy film about Jack Gable, a Soap Opera writer who gets trapped in his own TV show.
Delirious provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of afternoon soap operas and the odd plot turns they have.
- All Just a Dream: Jack gets hit on the chin, getting a concussion, and then find himself "transported" to Ashford Falls.
- Blind Driving: Jack does this at one point and survives, thanks to the typewriter.
- Brick Joke: The fate of the actress behind Rachel Hedison. She ends up hosting a local game show... in Cleveland.
- The Bus Came Back: Jack Gates comes back from Cleveland and shoots Gable.
- Call Back: Jack Gable uses his frustration of waiting on the cable repair guy to sidetrack Carter Hedison.
- Character Derailment: In-Universe, Jack calls on how Janet suddenly Took a Level in Jerkass because she is to become a Suspiciously Similar Substitute for a character who's actor is about to be fired.
- Deconstructive Parody: Of standard soap opera plots, characters and the business behind them.
- Her Code Name Was Mary Sue: What Jack does when he discovers what the typewriter can do.
- Literal Genie: Jack gets drunk, makes some typos, and the events reflect those.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain"Nobody does this to Jack Gates!""Yeah, yeah. Shouldn't you be in a mini-series someplace?"
- Place Worse Than Death: Cleveland. Jack Gates gets sent there by Gable; when he returns, Gates says that alone is reason enough to kill Gable.
- Rich Bitch: Rachel Hedison, and her actress to a lesser extent.
- Stunt Casting: Raymond Burr as the head of the Hedison family. Also in-universe as the Sherwood hired Robert Wagner to play Jack Gates during sweeps week.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: At one point, Jack writes himself jumping through a window (which magically appears) to save Janet.