Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 2 E 20 Squid On Strike Sandy Sponge Bob And The Worm
After Mr. Krabs enforces a new fine system for the most mundane things (like existing
), Squidward convinces SpongeBob to go on strike with him, not realizing it would cost him his job. But when SpongeBob hears how passionate Squidward's speeches are, he begins to get a bit too literal with his message.
"Squid on Strike"
- Bad Boss: Mr. Krabs as far as fining his employees for breathing, talking, and existing.
- Broken Record: "Eh, Squidward? Eh, Squidward? Eh, Squidward?"
- Failed a Spot Check: Mr. Krabs doesn't notice the destroyed Krusty Krab even when he walks into it, even "unlocking" the front doors with his key. He finally notices when he sits down in where his office used to be.
- Gone Horribly Right: SpongeBob's plan to destroy the Krusty Krab to get his and Squidward's jobs back works, as they have to work there forever to pay off the damages.
- Literal-Minded: SpongeBob takes Squidward's rally cry of "dismantling the oppressive establishment" too literally and destroys the Krusty Krab.
- Mistaken for Cheating
Squidward: Attention, citizens of Bikini Bottom, you have all been cheated and lied to!
Woman: I knew it! (slaps husband)
- Running Gag: Squidward getting flattened by a crowd running over him.
- Say My Name: "SQUIDWAAARD! SPONGEBOOOB!"
- "Eh, Squidward? Eh, Squidward?"
- Slogan-Yelling Megaphone Guy: Squidward does this to rally the citizens for support.
Fish 1: What's he saying?
Fish 2: I don't know, but he's got a megaphone.
- Visual Pun: One of SpongeBob's attempt to make a picket sign is that of a finger picking a nose (a pick-it sign).
- Waving Signs Around: Parodied. When Squidward makes a sign reading "Krusty Krab Unfair", SpongeBob makes a sign reading "Krusty Krab Funfair". Also, SpongeBob makes a picket fence instead of a sign.
After a large Alaskan Bull Worm starts wreaking havoc on Bikini Bottom, Sandy decides to take matters into her own hands, much to SpongeBob's chagrin. Patrick on the other hand...
"Sandy, SpongeBob and the Worm"
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "It's big, scary, and PINK!"
- Black Comedy: Spongebob using the paper clip and piece of string to form a necklace as they're being chased. "S for Spongebob or S for Sandy! That way they can identify our bodies!"
- Break the Haughty: Sandy undergoes one when she sees how big the Alaskan Bull Worm really is.
- Brick Joke: Patrick at one point recommends that the townspeople push Bikini Bottom somewhere else to avoid the worm. At the very end, we see that they've done that...only to get crushed by the worm.
- Chekhov's Gun: The paper clip and piece of string.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Subverted by Squidward, when discussing Patrick's plan to "take Bikini Bottom and push it somewhere else".
Squidward: That idea might just be crazy enough... to get us all killed!
- The town still try it... and proceed to get crushed by the Alaskan Bull Worm.
- Destructive Savior: Sandy and SpongeBob think they saved Bikini Bottom by sending the worm down a cliff. And they would have, had the town not been relocated to the bottom of that cliff.
- The Dreaded: The Alaskan Bull Worm. Everyone in Bikini Bottom is terrified of the thing and even Sandy panics when she sees just how massive it is. Mr. Krabs even says that no one would ever dare try to fight one, and considering Mr. Krabs' history as a Naval officer, this is saying a lot.
- It's Personal: Sandy goes after the worm because it ate her tail.
- Moby Schtick: Like Ahab, Sandy hunts the worm for revenge. However, she is guided not so much by obsession as overconfidence, as she fails to heed SpongeBob's warnings that the worm might be more than she can handle.
- Oh Crap!: "RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!"
- Oh, No... Not Again!: The fish that had his butt eaten by the worm.
- Pride: Sandy suffers from this. She initially REFUSES to admit that SpongeBob was right about the Worm:
SpongeBob: Hey, wait a minute! I was right, wasn't I?!
SpongeBob: Ah, he IS too big for you, isn't he?
Sandy: Not now, SpongeBob!
SpongeBob: I want to hear you say it.
Sandy: Can we talk about this another time?!
SpongeBob: Say it!
SpongeBob: (sticks his foot out) Say it or I'll trip you!
Sandy: NO! Get away!
SpongeBob: Say it!
Sandy: NOT NOW!
SpongeBob: SAY IT!
Sandy: OKAY! You were right, and I was wrong! I was wrong-wrong-wrong-wrong-wrong! Are you happy now?!
SpongeBob: (with the smuggest look on his face) I knew it.
- Justified, in that they probably should have been more concerned with the giant, carnivorous worm chasing them! If anything, Spongebob was the proud one for not realizing that this was not the time for an apology.
- Sandy still qualifies, though, as she repeatedly insisted that she was tough enough to deal with the thing until she actually saw it.
- Sanity Slippage: Old man Krabs doesn't take the idea of paying Sandy very well.
You'll never get a cent
out of me! Never
! (froths at the mouth
) I'D RATHER THAT WORM COME IN HERE RIGHT NOW, AND EAT YOU ALL ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!
- Shout-Out: "Worm sign!"
- The old sailor scratching a chalkboard to get attention spoofs Shaw's introduction on Jaws.
- That's No Moon!: "That's not the worm, that's his tongue."
- Truth in Television: Mr. Krabs froths at the mouth when he thinks Sandy wants his money. Real crabs actually do froth if they have trouble breathing.
- Visual Pun: Sandy says she found a "worm sign": a small sign with the word "Worm" on it.
- Wham Line: "That's not the worm. That's it's tongue."