The common motif of adding artificial flames to things so they'll seem more badass
. This is common in Real Life
, especially pertaining to muscle cars
(the idea being that the car is so fast, it literally
burns as it goes), but there probably isn't a single thing on the planet that hasn't had fire painted on it at some point or another in an attempt to increase its cool factor. In fiction, the possibilities are broader, as detailed below. "Go faster stripes" are a similar phenomenon.
Not to be confused with the Incendiary Exponent
, when something is actually on fire
See also Tron Lines
, a Power Glows
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Michael Bay's Transformers films, Optimus Prime has red flames painted on his blue chassis, letting him keep the iconic red-chest-windows look.
- Subverted in Gran Torino where Thao Vang Lor gets the titular car on the condition that he doesn't "paint any idiotic flames on it like some white trash hillbilly..."
- It's Greased Lightnin'!
- In the film Deal Of The Century, a car's "flame job" is a point of pride for the owner. In an argument with Ray Kasternak (Gregory Hines), the latter takes a flamethrower out of the trunk of his car and gives the former's car a literal flame job, torching it.
- Harry Wayne, one of Eddie Valiant's poker buddies in Who Censored Roger Rabbit??, is a mechanic who decorated his Chevy with two "flaming belches" he bought from a Toon dragon.
- Katniss of The Hunger Games. This is intentional from the get-go, as her design team gives her a fire theme and coins the catchphrase "Girl on Fire". The flame motif continues through the trilogy. Fandom◊ loves◊ playing◊ this◊ up◊.
Live Action TV
- Count how many rock musicians (especially drummers) decorate their instruments with this. This is even a part of the decoration options for drummers in Rock Band.
- The red semi tractor in Truck Stop sports yellow and orange flames.
- In Real Life, some people who are particularly obsessed with their cars add decals on them, and they almost always involve flames or some other flame-like design. (See this awesomeness◊). But it could possibly be subverted; there are some cars that are so "uncool" that adding flames just makes it look corny. Kind of like multiplying one negative number.
- Tahu and Ackar of BIONICLE both wield swords shaped like flames (or just swords with flame designs in the case of Tahu's Nuva upgrade), and Ackar also sports a flame-design helmet.
- Transformers: The Generation 2 Laser Optimus Prime toy featured smoldering details on the front and a giant portrait of Prime wielding a flamethrower on the sides.
- Neopets: You can paint your pets "Fire" with a paintbrush, which gives this effect. Petpets can also be painted this.