This fic provides examples of:
open/close all folders
The original provides examples of:
- 555: Calvin's parents' phone number is 555-7957.
- Anti-Climax: Hobbes manages to divert the monster's attention by telling it he'd seen three blue whales.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Taken Up to Eleven with the sea monster - it's mentioned to make the Empire State Building look tiny!
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Bigfoot is mentioned:Calvin: Well, what about Bigfoot? Maybe while we're at the edge, we'll see a big...
Hobbes: I doubt it.
- Bound and Gagged: Calvin and Hobbes, once again.
- Cliffhanger: Lampshaded in the author's notes of Chapter 6:Yaaahhh! Cliff Hanger! Something's gonna happen! But what? Don't kill me for leaving it off like this. The next chapter will be here soon.
- Continuity Nod: Hobbes isn't so eager on going into the woods after the last movie.
- "It was then that Calvin wished he had listened to his swim teacher."
- Dramatic Irony: Every time something about Rupert Chill is aired on the TV, nobody is there to see. Aside from Hobbes.
- Foreshadowing and Title Drop:Calvin: I wish Dad would put me on my OWN boat.
Mom: Don't be silly, Calvin. If you were on a separate boat, you'd get lost out at sea!
Mom: Dear, Calvin has more of a chance of meeting a sea monster then hitting the Bermuda Triangle.
- In the end of Chapter 5 ("NOT AGAIN!"), Calvin and Hobbes scream "NOT AGAIN!" as they're lost at sea.
- Then there's the beginning of Chapter 6:
- Lost in Transmission: Rupert's crew attempts to record a conversation with a cassette player, but its batteries start running out.
- Happy Dance: Calvin's father does one that's described as looking like a petrified chicken hopping around. This leads to one of the most bizarre lines ever typed:He then petrified chickened out of the room, singing a cheerful and somewhat stupid song.
- Irony: Calvin and Hobbes end up fishing in Chapter 8. The whole reason they had got onto the boat in the first place was to avoid their dad's fishing trip.
- Madness Mantra: "Su... su... su... su... su... SU...su...su...su... su... su... su... su... SU...su...su..."
- Medium Awareness: The bonus chapter's introduction."Welcome!" Calvin yelled. "In this bonus chapter on um... What's this place called again?"
"Fanfiction." Hobbes yawned.
"Oh yeah. ...On Fan-friction, you'll see a trailer for CALVIN AND HOBBES III: DOUBLE TROUBLE, a soundtrack for songs, and a quick preview! I hope ya like it!"
- Misery Builds Character: A driving force behind the fic.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: The sea monster, whose mouth is fifteen feet long.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Calvin ends up smashing the radio in Chapter 7, destroying their main means of contact.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: The duo scream "NOT AGAIN!" at the end of Chapter 5.
- The Power of Rock: Defied by the aliens.
- Punny Name: The C'mon Inn.
- Sequel Hook: The Stinger shows Rupert and Earl returning.
- Shout-Out:Mom: Where are we going to do this? The Land of Oz?
- Calvin attempts to watch Tom and Jerry.
- Skeleton Key: Rupert Chill has one, ordered from the Alien Shopping Network.
- The Stinger: Rupert and Earl returning.
- Stock Ness Monster: The original is mentioned:Calvin: Or maybe we'll prove the existence of the Lock Ness Monster!
Hobbes: That's in Scotland.
- Wolverine Claws: The sea monster.
- Writers Cannot Do Math: Lampshaded:Up in the sky, The Alien Mother Ship, sent down twenty hundred troops, three in each space jet.
And if you want to know how many jets there were, you can do the math yourself. I'm a very busy writer trying to make a movie here.note
The remake provides examples of:
- And I Must Scream:
- Prison wasn't good for Rupert.
- This later happens to Calvin and Hoobes.
- And it turned out that Rupert was willing to do this to his own crew to keep them in line.
- Break the Cutie: Implied to happen to our two main protagonists in the trailer.
- Darker and Edgier: The remake's trailer implies a psychological horror bent that wasn't there before, as Calvin and Hobbes, both delusional from their bout on the boat, attack each other.
- Enemy Mine: The other four main characters (who aren't stranded on a cruise ship) and Dr Brainstorm and Jack.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Dr Brainstorm is horrified when he realizes that Rupert put shock collars on his own crew.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Dr Brainstorm might be a Harmless Villain most of the time but he does have enough medical knowledge to be useful in an emergency.
- Neck Lift: After escaping prison, Rupert does this to Lenny, Carl, and Earl simultaneously; the first two when they complained after being in there for a few hours while he was trapped in there for nine months, while Earl apparently took too long to rescue him.
- Pet the Dog: Jack uses his nanobots to help Dr Brainstorm build his boat.
- The Remake
- Sanity Slippage:
- Calvin and Hobbes will suffer this.
- Rupert, to the point where he's even more bloodthirsty and deranged.