Calvin and Hobbes II: Lost at Sea
is a sequel to Calvin And Hobbes The Movie
, and thus another entry in the Calvinverse.
It chronicles Calvin going on a fishing trip with his father, only to end up separated. Now he and Hobbes must get back to their home before something disastrous happens...
The author intends to remake this story as well with garfieldodie
. For a long while, it seemed it had been stuck in Development Hell
, but garfieldodie later confirmed that they're working on it, along with the fifth season finale of Calvin and Hobbes: The Series
This fic provides examples of:
- 555: Calvin's parents' phone number is 555-7957.
- Anti-Climax: Hobbes manages to divert the monster's attention by telling it he'd seen three blue whales.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Taken Up to Eleven with the sea monster - it's mentioned to make the Empire State Building look tiny!
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Bigfoot is mentioned:
Calvin: Well, what about Bigfoot? Maybe while we're at the edge, we'll see a big...
Hobbes: I doubt it.
- Bound and Gagged: Calvin and Hobbes, once again.
- Cliffhanger: Lampshaded in the author's notes of Chapter 6:
Yaaahhh! Cliff Hanger! Something's gonna happen! But what? Don't kill me for leaving it off like this. The next chapter will be here soon.
- Continuity Nod: Hobbes isn't so eager on going into the woods after the last movie.
- "It was then that Calvin wished he had listened to his swim teacher."
- Dramatic Irony: Every time something about Rupert Chill is aired on the TV, nobody is there to see. Aside from Hobbes.
- Foreshadowing and Title Drop:
Calvin: I wish Dad would put me on my OWN boat.
Mom: Don't be silly, Calvin. If you were on a separate boat, you'd get lost out at sea!
- In the end of Chapter 5 ("NOT AGAIN!"), Calvin and Hobbes scream "NOT AGAIN!" as they're lost at sea.
- Then there's the beginning of Chapter 6:
Mom: Dear, Calvin has more of a chance of meeting a sea monster then hitting the Bermuda Triangle.
- Lost In Transmission: Rupert's crew attempts to record a conversation with a cassette player, but its batteries start running out.
- Happy Dance: Calvin's father does one that's described as looking like a petrified chicken hopping around. This leads to one of the most bizarre lines ever typed:
He then petrified chickened out of the room, singing a cheerful and somewhat stupid song.
- Irony: Calvin and Hobbes end up fishing in Chapter 8. The whole reason they had got onto the boat in the first place was to avoid their dad's fishing trip.
- Madness Mantra: "Su... su... su... su... su... SU...su...su...su... su... su... su... su... SU...su...su..."
- Medium Awareness: The bonus chapter's introduction.
"Welcome!" Calvin yelled. "In this bonus chapter on um... What's this place called again?"
" Hobbes yawned.
"Oh yeah. ...On Fan-friction, you'll see a trailer for CALVIN AND HOBBES III: DOUBLE TROUBLE, a soundtrack for songs, and a quick preview! I hope ya like it!"
- Misery Builds Character: A driving force behind the fic.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: The sea monster, whose mouth is fifteen feet long.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Calvin ends up smashing the radio in Chapter 7, destroying their main means of contact.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: The duo scream "NOT AGAIN!" at the end of Chapter 5.
- The Power of Rock: Defied by the aliens.
- Punny Name: The C'mon Inn.
- Skeleton Key: Rupert Chill has one, ordered from the Alien Shopping Network.
- The Stinger: Rupert and Earl returning.
- Stock Ness Monster: The original is mentioned:
Or maybe we'll prove the existence of the Lock
Ness Monster! Hobbes:
That's in Scotland.
- Wolverine Claws: The sea monster.
- Writers Cannot Do Math: Lampshaded:
Up in the sky, The Alien Mother Ship, sent down twenty hundred troops, three in each space jet.
And if you want to know how many jets there were, you can do the math yourself. I'm a very busy writer trying to make a movie here.