Betting is appealing, both in Real Life and in fiction. It adds a sense of risk to otherwise normal proceedings, makes everything more interesting. Unfortunately, "gambling is fun" is a poor aesop, not to mention that it's hard to make money actually mean anything in a work of fiction. So there's an easy solution: Rather than the loser giving the winner money, the loser has to obey the winner's orders—either once or for an entire day. Often involves Unresolved Sexual Tension, though good luck seeing it resolved. Cousin trope to Lost Him in a Card Game. Subtrope of Humiliating Wager.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Touma and Mikoto in A Certain Magical Index set up one of these when their schools face off in a sports festival. Mikoto wins, and wonders what she should make him do. Eventually, she basically makes him go on a date with her (although she doesn't tell him that), which gets interrupted by random super-powered sociopaths. So, you know, an average day.
- In The World God Only Knows, Haqua challenges Keima to a board game, with a Wager Slave as the penalty. As it becomes increasingly clear that she is hopelessly outmatched, Haqua starts saying, "I know I said anything... But not anything! Just not anything, okay!" Keima, however, only wants to ask questions about his situation and Elsie. Haqua finally lashes out at him: "Aren't you even a tiny bit interested in me?!"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has Haruhi invoke this on whoever is late (usually Kyon). In a slight subversion, he just has to pay for everyone's lunch.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh!, Joey gets this done to him by Duke. Duke wins and puts Joey in a dog suit, forcing him to obey all his commands—until Yugi steps in to free him. It's not treated kinkily in the anime, but that hasn't stopped fans from taking it that way.
- In Gantz, Kurono is forced to date a non-hottie as a result of one of these. The sexual tension is, in fact, resolved.
- In a breather episode of Soul Eater just after the Kishin had been revived, the main cast play one of these in a three-on-three basketball game. If Kid's team loses, then they move all the pictures in his house slightly off; if Maka's team loses, she has to spend the weekend with her father. Maka loses and her Bumbling Dad is so happy he vomits.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni has the main characters' club often handing out these kinds of penalties to the loser of the game of the day. One memorable result of this is Keiichi being forced to walk home in a maid outfit.
- This is a rare one where there is no sexual tension, but there may be extremely violent murder involved when things inevitably go wrong.
- Hackers. Dade Murphy and Kate Libby have a contest to see who's the best hacker. If Kate wins Murphy will do scut work for her: "Scan, crack copyrights, whatever I want."
- In Four Clues for Rani, during a treasure hunt game, Rani bets Vidia that if her team finishes first, she [Rani] will do whatever the fast-flying fairy wants for one week, and vice versa.
Live Action TV
- At least twice on The Brady Bunch:
- Greg bets Marcia that he's a better driver than she is, with the stakes being the loser does the winner's chores for a week. Greg loses.
- Bobby challenges Greg to a chin-up contest, and that Greg must be able to do twice as many s Bobby to win, with the stakes being that the loser has to do whatever the winner wants. Greg loses again. He has to do Bobby's chores for a week AND must bring Bobby along on his date Saturday night.
- On the Olympics episode of M*A*S*H, Hawkeye and BJ (the two team captains) bet that the loser must push the winner around in a wheelchair for a month.
- On Taxi, Tony and Latka have a bet where the loser can't talk for a week. Latka loses and comes up with unique ways to communicate (cue cards, a prerecorded tape) AND stick it to Tony at the same time.
- How I Met Your Mother has the famous "slap bet," where Barney and Marshall get in a bet over what Robin's deep dark secret is. When Barney's guess of "porn" appears to be right, he slaps Marshall... but when it turns out that was in error, the restitution is that Marshall gets to slap him at 5 random points in the future.
- On Sliders, the gang lands in a world where women are the dominant gender and Arturo runs for mayor of San Francisco. Wade and Arturo bet on the election and Arturo loses. They slide onto the next world and immediately after the leave, it's revealed that Arturo actually won. Not knowing this, Arturo had to be Wade's personal slave for the duration of their next slide (nine days).
- Tower of God
- In a bet between Androssi and Anak on whoever killed the Bull first, Anak wagered Black March, whereas Androssi wagered herself. Since Baam killed the Bull, nothing really happened.
- More seriously, Prince wagered Yeon, who was dependent on him because of her debts in a strength competition. Viole won, but set Yeon free.
- In 1983 in World Class, Jimmy Garvin lost a match against David Von Erich. As a result, Garvin and his valet/wife, Precious, had to spend a day working on the Von Erich ranch.
- In 1988, Jerry Lawler won a match against Eddie Gilbert and Eddie's wife, Missy Hyatt, had to be Lawler's maid for a day.
- In 2002, Ric Flair lost a match and was to become "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's "personal assistant" but Austin famously "took his ball and went home" before the punishment could be carried out.
- At the 2014 "Hell in a Cell" pay-per-view event, the Bella Twins had a match wherein the loser of the match would become the winner's "personal assistant" (a polite way of putting it) for one month - and should the loser fail to perform those duties to the winner's satisfaction, she will be forced to leave WWE. Nikki won.
- An episode of Tracey McBean involved a dare in which someone had to ride down Mount Massacre. The loser had to be the winner's slave for a whole week. It did sort of border on Foe Yay territory.
- Clone High does this when the principals of two schools competing in a basketball game decide that the losing principal has to do the winner's laundry...for a week.
- The Simpsons: Homer bets Ned that whoever's son doesn't win a minigolf tournament has to mow his lawn in his wife's Sunday dress. Due to Homer enforcing Exact Words, both of them end up doing it. Homer gets pissed off when Ned enjoys it, recalling his college fraternity prank days.
- Happens on The Venture Bros.: Dean dares Hank to drink some awful substance, and in exchange Dean will be Hank's slave.
- In the first episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Mandy offered to play a game with the Grim Reaper. If Grim wins, he gets the hamster he sought. Grim's ego led him to offer that if he loses, he would become Billy and Mandy's best friend. Unfortunately for Grim, the hamster jumped into his eye socket making Grim lose a game of limbo. Grim becomes their best friend.
- This is the plot point and reason for the South Park episode "The Red Badge of Gayness". It's averted at the end.
- This provides the plot for The Angry Beavers episode "You Promised!", when Norbert promises Dagget he'll do this in a year in exchange for the last "Lickety Split" candy in the house, not expecting Dagget to actually remember his promise.
- In an episode of Lilo & Stitch: The Series, Jumba and Pleakley get caught up in Lilo and Stitch's argument over who's better at capturing experiments, and each agrees to coach one of them in capturing a pair of experiments. They agree to bet that whoever's protegee captures the experiment first, the other has to perform "the Funky Glognart, the insipid dance of a thousand hours". Meanwhile, Lilo and Stitch learn a lesson in teamwork and end up capturing both experiments together, which means both Pleakley and Jumba have to perform the dance.
- The Fairly OddParents: Timmy made a bet against Anti-Cosmo and the Head Pixie. If the Fairies win the Fairly Odd Games, Anti-Cosmo and Head Pixie will do anything Timmy asked. If the Anti-Fairies win, Timmy will become Anti-Cosmo's godson. If the Pixies win, Timmy will work at Pixies, Inc. in a very boring job. Timmy won the bet and demanded the others to do... nothing. He believed they've learned their lesson about cheating.