Fanfic: Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble
Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble
is the third film in Swing123
's Script Fic
trilogy, following Calvin and Hobbes: The Movie
and Calvin and Hobbes II: Lost at Sea
. It also has a part in the Calvinverse
, like the stories before it.
Rupert and Earl have set out for revenge on our young hero, and they end up kidnapped by a man who wants a ransom for their safe return. Will they make it? Probably.
This fic provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: From the author's notes:
No, The town won't save Calvin. They'll be worthless. Worthless to the end.
- A Planet Named Zok: The first appearance of the Trope Namer.
- Anti-Climax: The beginning of Chapter 11. "LUNCH TIME!"
- Are We There Yet?: Calvin does this to Chill.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: A gag of the aliens destroying Calvin's mom's antiques starts out reasonable enough, but ends with a clock worth about 50 bucks. She reacts exactly the same.
- Ascended Meme: Rupert mentions the widely-known origin of the duo's names.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The giant goose.
- Author Catchphrase: The first appearance of "Help. Cry for help."
- Batter Up: Calvin's mom wields one.
- Bears Are Bad News: Calvin sets a trap for Chill that exploits this.
- Big Bad: Rupert and Earl.
- Big "NO!": Calvin's mom does this when her antiques start getting destroyed.
- Rupert does this in response to Calvin freeing the entire world from his control.
- He does another one shortly after a Big "WHAT?!" not long later.
- Big "WHAT?!": When Calvin and Hobbes find out the aliens drink lava.
- Calvin does one later when he finds out being tortured is a sport.
- Calvin does another one when Hobbes refuses to fight.
- Blood Sport: The aliens have one, which Calvin and Hobbes participate in.
- Bound and Gagged: Calvin's parents.
- Cassandra Truth: Finally subverted in Chapter 5, when Rupert and Earl reveal themselves.
- Close-Call Haircut: Calvin, who gets really angry about it. "NO ONE MESSES WITH THE DO!"
- Comedic Sociopathy: Calvin slams the door shut on Rupert's foot.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: The first two trials - eating a bunch of stale Kit Kat bars and going three miles on a treadmill.
- Crapsack World: Earth under Rupert and Earl's rule, though since they're all brainwashed they don't mind.
- Dark Is Evil: The Shadowfax.
- Disguised in Drag: Calvin is forced to do this by Chill.
- Retro later dresses as an old lady to hitchhike.
- Distressed Dude: Calvin and Hobbes, though they don't seem to care.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Rupert does this to freak out Calvin, though it loses its luster when another alien exclaims "Hi, Mom!".
- Dressing as the Enemy: Calvin and Hobbes do this in Chapter 8, though it doesn't really work.
- Drop the Hammer: Calvin attempts to smash Rupert's foot with one.
- Escape Pod: Discussed by Calvin.
"But anyway, if this is a UFO, it has to have some kind of escape pod or something! It's in the rules!"
- Every Car Is a Pinto: The Mazda explodes when it crashes into a rock.
- Evil Twin: Rupert Chill makes himself out as one. (The alien Rupert Chill is an impostor.)
- Expecting Someone Taller: A villainous variant:
Alien: Ah. You must be that Earth Potentate that gave everybody such a hard time. Huh. I kind of pictured you taller.
- Fainting: Hobbes does this when faced with the monster.
- First Name Basis: The alien Rupert Chill, to stop confusion between the real one.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Overlapped with Mind-Control Eyes and Red Eyes, Take Warning.
- Grand Finale: Until Retro Chill, that is.
- Hostage Situation: Calvin and Hobbes are in one.
- Hypocritical Humor: Calvin claims one shouldn't make fun of the Spanish, despite his doing so in Lost at Sea. Hobbes even points it out.
- Invisibility: The Inviso Bombman.
- Last Name Basis: The real Rupert Chill, to stop confusion.
- Masochist's Meal: The aliens drink lava. Justified, since they're aliens.
- Mass Hypnosis: Everyone on Earth is apparently brainwashed to serve Rupert and Earl.
- Medium Awareness: Exaggerated: Calvin manages to briefly hijack the narrative.
Susie was playing on the sidewalk with Mr Bun.
She was performing a ritual known to us only as "THE TEA PARTY".
That's not me talking by the way, Calvin slipped it in while I wasn't looking.
But anyway, if this is a UFO, it has to have some kind of Escape Pod
or something! It's in the rules! Hobbes:
It is? Calvin:
Plus this chapter would be extremely boring if we just sat in a cell all day.
Tracer: Who's Earl?
Calvin: The ship captain! Didn't you know that?
Spiff: Not really. He wasn't called Earl until the end of the second movie.
Calvin: Now hurry up, and go! We're running out of room for this chapter!
- "Nothing like a bunch of drama to get the movie going, huh Hobbes?"
- "And if we'd known that trick in the first place, this movie would've been shorter."
- Misery Builds Character: According to Calvin's dad, burns build character.
- Mood-Swinger: The Mood Swing Babbler.
- Motor Mouth: Rupert's small rant:
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Goose of Death.
- Nonverbal Miscommunication: Hobbes waves frantically to Calvin - he replies to his mother, "Hobbes says hi."
- Noodle Incident: Calvin references the Trope Namer, prompting a Lame Rhyme Dodge to "Poodle Incident".
- Open Says Me: Rupert and Earl blast Calvin's door open.
- Pity the Kidnapper: Chill gets tormented by Calvin. Rupert and Earl exploit this in order to kill Calvin.
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Calvin and Hobbes" by Pure Joy, fittingly enough.
- Saw It in a Movie Once: "I saw this on that Jimmy Neutron movie!"
- Sanity Slippage: Chill.
- Shout-Out: Calvin describes Rupert as a demented SpongeBob.
Ok. You've reminded me of that scene in that stupid Peter Pan
movie, and all at once, I've lost interest. Thanks a lot.
- Squick: Calvin and Hobbes' In-Universe reaction to Vivid Video Vapors.
- Take Over the World: Rupert and Earl manage to achieve this.
- Tempting Fate:
At least they can't get me up here! (the brainwashed Mom floats up on a rocket scooter) Stupendous Man: Why did I say that?
- Weakened by the Light: The Shadowfax.
- Weaksauce Weakness: One can stop brainwashing by splashing the affected with water.
- We Will Meet Again: "I'LL BE BACK, CHILD! COUNT ON IT!"'
- Where The Hell Is Springfield?: Subverted - apparently, the city's in North Dakota.
- Who's on First?: In Chapter 15.
- Wolverine Claws: The monster.
- You Won't Like How I Taste:
Calvin: Did I mention that I taste terrible? Awful! You don't want to eat me! I'll give you indigestion! I'll make Heart Burn! Terrible heart burn! And did I mention the indigestion? WHOO HOO! Not even alka-seltzer could break me up! I mean we're talking about...