In either a gunfight or a sword battle, sometimes the bullet or blade gets just a bit too
close for comfort, and you often see a Close-Call Haircut
with a few cut strands of hair blowing around to indicate just how close the character came to getting hit. May also mark the point in the battle when the gloves come off, especially if one or both of the fighters are female and it suddenly becomes personal
as soon as the female character's beauty is involved
A common variation involves a bullet passing through a female character's hair, creating a gaping hole that's sometimes magically repaired by the next scene (see Hair Reboot
May overlap with Important Haircut
or Traumatic Haircut
in some cases. See also Slipknot Ponytail
and Hat Damage
The trope was popularized during the Renaissance, when sword-wielding folk moved away from large and cumbersome cutting tools to lighter weapons that allowed additional finesse. Trimming an opponent's moustache or removing buttons in a declared order was a way to demonstrate one's superior fighting skills, culminating in the famous 'slice your initial in your opponent's clothes without actually breaking his skin' maneuver made famous by Alex Thoth's Zorro
open/close all folders
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero, Kyon's sister gets one by a stray flechette, during the Combine's attack at North High.
- In the InuYasha Continuation Fic Beyond Tomorrow, Sango ends up getting the end of her ponytail set on fire by Ren's fire breath, forcing her to cut her hair down to her shoulders to stop the fire from spreading.
- An odd variation in a Sailor Moon / Godzilla crossover fanfic. Sailor Jupiter's caught fighting the big green lizard and, at one point, gets pinned by her ponytail by Big G's foot. A soldier comes over and, wanting to get her out of the line of fire, ends up having to cut her ponytail off.
- In Uninvited Guests, Zaraki decides to make Rangiku his apprentice. While they're "training" (read: Rangiku runs away while Zaraki tries to kill her), he does manage to cut off a lock of her hair. Yumichika and Ikkaku decide she has potential.
- Queen Of All Oni: When Viper is fighting an Oni-possessed Captain Black, he ends up BURYING his fist in the concrete wall behind, just missing her head, but ripping out a chunk of her hair in the process. She is not pleased.
- Examples from the Calvinverse:
Live Action TV
- Happens to Peter Petrelli in Heroes, during his first encounter with Sylar.
- On MythBusters, Adam once got a bit too close to an exploding ball of fire. "Am I missing an eyebrow?"
- Not to mention an incident that begins with Grant adjusting a spring-loaded guillotine and ends with said guillotine zooming past him close enough to tear his shirt.
- In Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+, there is a scene in which Xaldin hurls a lance at Axel's head; there is a visible puff of red hairs that fly off when the spear hits about three inches to the left of Axel's face.
- The introductory cutscene to The Witcher has Geralt doing this to a Striga.
- At the battle of Fredericksburg during The American Civil War, Confederate cavalry general J.E.B Stuart had a lock of hair cut off by a bullet, and three more bullets passed through his clothes, while he left the battlefield unharmed.