A Stock Phrase
for being on camera. It could be a news camera, or it could be a surveillance camera, if it's too late to get out of its line of sight. There doesn't have to be any guarantee that "mom" is watching. Chances are, if a video camera is pointed at someone, he (and it is
usually only one person who does it) will say, "Hi, Mom!"
Compare Confused Bystander Interview
, I'm Going To Disney World
Anime & Manga
- One of the better known elements of the infamous eSure "calm down dear" adverts was an extra randomly shouting "Hello Mum!" in the middle of conversation or, in later ads, carrying a large "Hello Mum" sign.
- According to Dave Barry Slept Here, said by Neil Armstrong when he became the first human to set foot on the Moon.
- Done with the radio instead of television (which hadn't been invented yet) in Mr. Popper's Penguins. Mrs. Popper predicts that all the Antarctic expedition broadcast will be is a bunch of men saying "Hello Ma, Hello Pa." When Admiral Drake is broadcast, the first words out of his mouth are, "Hello Ma, hello Pa, hello Mr. Popper." Which, of course, kicks off the plot.
- In The Sanguine Chronicles, Marko says if anyone's reading his journal, it will be someone with Marko after him, someone doing research, or his therapist. He then writes in: "Hi, Mrs. Z! *handwave*" (Mrs. Z being his therapist).
- Criss Angel says this when demonstrating the Spectator's Point of View Camera.
- Both used straight and subverted on Friends. Ross and Chandler are pretending to be game show contestants. Ross says a clichéd hello to his son, but Chandler introduces himself as a headhunter connecting former Soviet scientists with rogue Third World countries. "Hi, Rasputin!"
- When The Colbert Report went to Iraq, Stephen had the troops send a message to their special ladies back home. Naturally, this message was "Hi, Mom!" Stephen asked if they were forgetting someone, and the troops added, "Hi, Stephen's mom!"
- Amusing moment from a radio interview: Stephen was being asked about what kind of social circle he belonged to in high school and said thoughtfully that mostly, they "smoked a lot of pot — hi, Mom — and just kind of smiled at each other over the bong..."
- A staple in The Price Is Right when the big wheel is spun, the contestant will say hello to whoever they wish to hello to.
- When Dave talks to audience members on The Late Show with David Letterman he'll often ask if they have kids. If they say yes, he offers the chance to say hello to them on TV. Then Dave will yell at the kids for being up so late watching TV when they should be in bed or studying.
- Fozzie Bear does this in The Muppet Show Cleo Laine episode. He boasted to her that he was the star of the show and was trying to get as much stage appearences as possible.