Western Animation: Little Shop
Based off of the popular movie and stage show, Little Shop of Horrors
, Little Shop
was a short-lived cartoon on the Fox Kids block in 1991. It features Seymour and Audrey as 13 year old kids in the present day. Additionally, Audrey II goes by the original name it got in the original Roger Corman movie
, originated from a fossilized seed rather than from outer space, and of course, it doesn't eat blood
This show provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his manipulative, mind-controlling, people-eating, rap-singing pet plant.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In a recursive example, Audrey gets to be brunette again.
- Animated Adaptation
- Big Eater: Audrey Jr.
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill: The bully Paine Driller.
- Butt Monkey: It seems that Seymour can't go one episode without being tormented by Paine Driller.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
- Hero Worship: Seymour was fond of a man named Dr. Appalling and made a homemade version of his invention that turns people into plants. Appalling turns out to be a Mad Scientist whose invention turns people into their teeth, and ends up turned into a hydrangea by Junior.
- High School
- High School A.U.
- Informed Attribute: Audrey Jr. claims that he likes to eat people, as in the previous incarnations, but is generally shown eating regular food, such as pizza and sandwiches. (He does eat the piano teacher almost Once per Episode, but that obviously doesn't last long.)
- It's a Wonderful Plot: Subverted: Everyone in Seymour's life is better off in the world where he was never born.
- Lighter and Softer
- Meaningful Name: Paine Driller.
- Mythology Gag: Burson Fouch, the flower-eating guy from the original film, makes at least one cameo.
- Nerd: Seymour. Or he tries to be one, anyway.
- Oblivious to Love: Audrey has no idea that Seymour likes her.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Played with in the opening of the first episode. Seymour has "spent thirteen years trying to be a nerd". What is missing? "Brains."
- Punny Name: Plenty.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Nope, no death in this one (unless you're counting the situation with the piano teacher).
- Spinoff Babies
- Theme Tune Rap: "Word, Li'l Shop!"
- They Killed Kenny Again: The piano teacher.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Compost!"
- Younger and Hipper