"Whoever invented Mondays should be drug out into the street and shot."Characters can sometimes hate a certain day of the week, due to bad luck and misfortune that seem to only happen to them on that day. When they start hating it, they often start dreading the coming day on the day before. As suggested by the trope name, Monday is one of, if not the most hated-on days, perhaps because it's the day that many people go back to work/school after the weekend.
open/close all folders
- In G.I. Joe, Snake Eyes hates Tuesdays.
"I still wake up in a cold sweat on Tuesday mornings. Tuesdays was 'debriding day' at the Army hospital burn unit where I recovered."
- In Oh God Not Again!, when Neville faces the boggart, it takes on the form of alternate!Harry as Minister of Magic.
Boggart!Harry: You know, Monday is probably the most depressing day ever, let's cancel it. And what's this nonsense about not being able to own a dragon in Britain? ...
- In Office Space the main character is told "somebody's got a bad case of the Mondays" by a coworker when he's kind of grumpy. He asks if anyone's said that, to his next-door neighbor (who works as a construction worker) who tells him "you'd get your ass kicked for something like that."
- In Polish comedy classic Nie lubię poniedziałku (I don't like Monday) the whole plot is about random citizens of Warsaw suffering unpleasantries and hilarious twists of fate on Monday, blaming that day for being unlucky. Titular words are used a lot, along with "Never start anything on Monday".
- In a bit on Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! riffing on the report that al-Qaeda had office interns, one of the panelists said "We hate America ... but we also hate Mondays."
Live Action TV
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the eponymous character knows that if Dawn is in trouble it must be Tuesday again.
- Which is a bit of Leaning on the Fourth Wall, since, at that time, Buffy aired on Tuesday.
- The secretaries Kathy and Cathy from The Kids in the Hall discuss this in one episode. Tanya the temp also hates them.
Kathy: TBIM, huh?Cathy: "TBIM?"Kathy: "Too Bad It's Monday."
- One of the speeches on Doctor Who that the Eleventh Doctor names several days as not very interesting. It also reveals he really like Saturdays, perhaps because a certain British sci-fi show airs on that day?
The Doctor: Time isn't a straight line. It's all... bumpy-wumpy. There's loads of boring stuff. Like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays. Big temporal tipping points when anything's possible.
- The Mamas & the Papas, "Monday Monday:"
Every other day, (every other day)Every other day of the week is fine, yeahBut whenever Monday comes (But whenever Monday comes)You can find me crying all of the time
- The opening lines of "Friday On My Mind" by The Easybeats:
Monday morning feels so bad
Everybody seems to nag me.
- "Manic Monday" by The Bangles
- As mentioned in the Real Life section, "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats.
- Carpenters, "Rainy Days and Mondays"
- Devo Spice has a song called "I Hate Mondays."
- "It Sure Is Monday" by Mark Chesnutt. The narrator partied hard all weekend, but now it's Monday and he's paying a high price for it.
- Garfield hates Mondays, and it's little wonder since nothing ever seems to go right for him on that day.
- He also seems to hate certain months, too, such as February.
- Oh yes, and he especially hates Monday the 13th. Especially if that Monday the 13th falls on a February.
- His creator later explained that while as a cat Garfield doesn't work or study, Mondays are a reminder "that his life is the same old, same old cycling again". Thus he hates them and the universe takes Mondays to deliver some Laser-Guided Karma.
- In Mutts, there's a strip where Sourpuss says he hates Mondays. Then it rains, leading him to say that Mondays hate him, too. Also a Running Gag.
- In The Far Side, when investigating the murder of a butler at the Butlers of the World convention, the detective in charge of the investigation groans: "I hate to start a Monday with a case like this."
- While Calvin never directly complained about Mondays per se, he did say that he could never enjoy Sundays because in the back of his mind, he knew he'd have to go to school the next day. "It's like trying to enjoy your last meal before execution."
- In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Arthur concludes that it must be Thursday because "I never got the hang of Thurdays".
- The Garfield example is referenced in Kingdom of Loathing, where the "Potion of the Field Gar" gives you bonus adventures for eating lasagna — except on Mondays.
- In Portal 2, there's an office where you can pick up a couple of coffee mugs. One mug has "I hate Mondays" on it.
- Francis in Left 4 Dead hates Mondays, among other things, but he will tolerate the day if it's Lasagna Mondays.
- In a twist of Holiday Mode, creating a new character on a Monday in Ancient Domains of Mystery results in them "feeling exhausted" and starting with less than their max HP. In rare circumstances this can even outright kill them.
- On Futurama Leela's former boss returns a poster to her (a monkey captioned with "I hate Mondays").
Leela's Old Boss: I also kept your poster showing your dislike of Mondays!Leela: Monday Monkey lives for the weekend, sir.
- When Fry accidentally gets her career chip, said former boss asks if he hates Mondays. He says no, and the boss replies that he'll have to redecorate his entire office.
- The Amazing World of Gumball: In "The Joy" Gumball and Darwin wake up in a bad mood because it's Monday. In an inversion, Miss Simian loves Monday because it's when kids are the most miserable.
- As reported on NPR, "In 1979, Brenda Spencer opened fire with a rifle at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, Calif., killing two adults and injuring nine children. She later explained her actions with the statement, 'I don't like Mondays.'"
- This was the subject of a song by the Boomtown Rats, "I Don't Like Mondays".
- The Iron Sheik peppers his Twitter feed with multiple "FUCK THE MONDAY" posts every week.
- Deconstructed by street artist Banksy here◊.
- Inverted in jPod, where a character talks on how Thursdays are the best day of the week.