"Whoever invented Mondays should be drug out into the street and shot.
Characters can sometimes hate a certain day of the week, due to bad luck and misfortune that seem to only happen to them on that day. When they start hating it, they often start dreading the coming day on the day before.
As suggested by the trope name, Monday is one of, if not the most
hated-on days, perhaps because it's the day that many people go back to work/school after the weekend.
open/close all folders
- In Office Space the main character is told "somebody's got a bad case of the Mondays" by a coworker when he's kind of grumpy. He asks if anyone's said that, to his next-door neighbor (who works as a construction worker) who tells him "you'd get your ass kicked for something like that."
- In a bit on Wait Wait Dont Tell Me riffing on the report that al-Qaeda had office interns, one of the panelists said "We hate America...but we also hate Mondays."
Live Action TV
- The Mamas And The Papas, "Monday Monday:"
Every other day, (every other day)
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes (But whenever Monday comes)
You can find me crying all of the time
- The opening lines of "Friday On My Mind" by The Easybeats:
Monday morning feels so bad
Everybody seems to nag me.
- "Manic Monday" by The Bangles
- As mentioned in the Real Life section, "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats.
- Carpenters, "Rainy Days and Mondays"
- Devo Spice has a song called "I Hate Mondays".
- "It Sure Is Monday" by Mark Chesnutt. The narrator partied hard all weekend, but now it's Monday and he's paying a high price for it.
- Garfield hates Mondays, and it's little wonder since nothing ever seems to go right for him on that day.
- He also seems to hate certain months, too, such as Feburary.
- Oh yes, and he especially hates Monday the 13th. Especially if that Monday the 13th is on a February.
- His creator later explained that while as a cat Garfield doesn't work or study, Mondays are a reminder "that his life is the same old, same old cycling again". Thus he hates them and the universe takes Mondays to deliver some Laser-Guided Karma.
- In Mutts, there's a strip where Sourpuss says he hates Mondays. Then it rains, leading him to say that Mondays hate him, too. Also a Running Gag.
- The Garfield example is referenced in Kingdom of Loathing, where the "Potion of the Field Gar" gives you bonus adventures for eating lasagna - except on Mondays.
- In Portal 2, there's an office where you can pick up a couple of coffee mugs. One mug has "I hate Mondays" on it.
- Francis in Left 4 Dead hates Mondays, among other things, but he will tolerate the day if it's Lasagna Mondays.
- In a twist of Holiday Mode, creating a new character on a Monday in Ancient Domains of Mystery results in them "feeling exhausted" and starting with less than full of their HP. In rare circumstances this can even outright kill them.
- Channel Ate believes a sound beating is better than Mondays.
- On Futurama Leela's former boss returns a poster to her (a monkey captioned with "I hate Mondays").
Leela's Old Boss: I also kept your poster showing your dislike of Mondays!
Leela: Monday Monkey lives for the weekend, sir.
- The Amazing World of Gumball: In "The Joy" Gumball and Darwin wake up in a bad mood because it's Monday. In an inversion, Miss Simian loves Monday because it's when kids are the most miserable.
- As reported on NPR, "In 1979, Brenda Spencer opened fire with a rifle at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, Calif., killing two adults and injuring nine children. She later explained her actions with the statement, 'I don't like Mondays.'"
- This was the subject of a song by the Boomtown Rats, "I Don't Like Mondays".
- Inverted in jPod, where a character talks on how Thursdays are the best day of the week.