The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water
is an upcoming animated/live-action hybrid movie based on the popular Nickelodeon
TV series Spongebob Squarepants
, and a sequel to 2004's The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
, set to be released on February 6th, 2015. It is directed by current showrunner Paul Tibbitt, with screenplay by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger (of Kung Fu Panda
fame) based on a story written by Tibbitt and show creator Steven Hillenburg. The live-action portion of the film is directed by Mike Mitchell of Sky High
The story is about the Krabby Patty secret recipe being stolen by Burger-Beard the Pirate (Antonio Banderas
), causing Bikini Bottom to enter a Mad Max
-esque post-apocalyptic wasteland. SpongeBob and friends come ashore and become superheroes in order to defeat Burger-Beard and retrieve the Krabby Patty secret recipie.
It is the first movie of Paramount Pictures
' new animation division, and the first animated movie based of off a Nicktoon
since 2006's Barnyard
Watch the first trailer here
and second trailer here.
- Abnormal Ammo: Burger-Beard uses a blunderbuss loaded with butter.
- Affectionate Parody: Apparently one of Pirate movies, the post-apocalyptic genre, and the Superhero blockbuster.
- The Apunkalypse: Bikini Bottom inexplicably turns into this as an apparent side-effect to Burger-beard's scheme.
- Art Shift: All underwater scenes are done in traditional animation like the show (and, given the cinematic budget, the first movie), while all the scenes on land are in live action with the Spongebob cast done in CGI.
- Ascended Extra: Sandy Cheeks and Squidward Tentacles, who were both Demoted to Extra in the previous movie (the former especially), are now getting top billing.
- Big Bad: Burger-Beard.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: When the background characters refuse to go the surface.
Random Fish: All secondary character come with me.
- Bring Me My Brown Pants: Too bad Squidward doesn't wear pants.
"It happens when I'm nervous".
- Completely Different Title: The German dub of the film is simply titled "SpongeBob Schwammkopf 3D" (SpongeBob Squarepants 3D)
- Cool Loser: In spite of the fact that he's pretty much an outcast that was clearly Born in the Wrong Century, Burger-Beard owns an awesome-looking pirate ship, which is pimped-out with wheels and a ton of cannons on it.
- Diabolus Ex Machina: The MacGuffin of the film is able to turn Bikini Bottom into a wasteland for no apparent reason.
- Enemy Mine: Plankton apparently believes that he's the only one allowed to steal the Secret Formula, and assists the protagonists.
- Flanderization: Inverted - the cast acts more along the lines of how they used to before the fourth season of the show.
- Gilligan Cut: From the trailer:
Mr. Krabs: That pirate's gonna destroy our world!
Squdward: Aren't you overreacting a bit?
(Cut to Bikini Bottom in flaming ruins and everyone dressed in punk attire.)
- Lighter and Softer: Aside from the apparent Bikini Bottom apunkalypse (which itself seems to be mainly Played for Laughs rather than how the original portrayed a surprisingly dark Dystopia), the movie seems to be less dark than its predecessor.
- The Movie: Speaks for itself.
- Medium Blending: See Art Shift.
- Mythology Gag: In the original Spongebob movie, a deleted scene (storyboarded but not animated) revealed that Sandy was planned to make a cameo appearance on the surface world as a real squirrel. Come this film, and Sandy dons the appearance of a real squirrel when she follows the gang to the surface.
- Negative Continuity: In spite of being a direct sequel to the 2004 movie, it would appear that none of the plot threads from that storyline are being used, true to form for the series. Most notably, Plankton is back on his feet instead of being imprisoned for his crimes, and the Krusty Krab 2 is nowhere to be seen. The characters also react to humans as if they've never seen one before. However, it's been apparently stated that the previous film is the definitive Grand Finale of the series, which would imply that this just takes place before it.
- Non-Standard Character Design: All of the CGI models of the characters in their superhero forms look like their cartoon counterparts... except for Sandy Cheeks, who looks like an actual squirrel.
- A Pirate 400 Years Too Late: Burger-Beard clearly doesn't belong in the movie's modern United States coast town setting. In fact, his pirate ship has wheels on it.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: As with the last movie, there are live-action/animated sequences. However this time, the animation will be done with CGI instead of traditional hand-drawn animation whenever real people show up.
- The first poster for the movie (seen above) is an obvious parody of the Coppertone brand of sunscreen.
- The second poster◊ is a parody of The Avengers, using the characters' superhero alter-egos.
- The apocalyptic Bikini Bottom seems to be a parody of Mad Max.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Krabs once he finds the formula is gone. Spongebob follows suit.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Or rather, Super Not-Asphyxiating Skills. The gang seems to function perfectly fine above water in spite of not being able to breathe air (though this does make sense for Sandy and Mr. Krabs - note that the former doesn't seem to be wearing her helmet).
- Tiny-Headed Behemoth: Plankton's superhero form takes this trope to its zenith - he's seriously built, but you can barely see his head in some shots.
- Token Evil Teammate: Plankton looks like he's fighting alongside the protagonists this time. Justified because he wants the Krabby Patty formula for himself.
- Took a Level in Badass: Once the protagonists become superheroes.