To boldly go where no Sponge has gone before.The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water
is an upcoming animated/live-action hybrid movie based on the popular Nickelodeon
TV series SpongeBob SquarePants
, and a sequel to 2004's The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
, set to be released on February 6th, 2015. It is directed by current showrunner Paul Tibbitt, with screenplay by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger (of Kung Fu Panda
fame) based on a story written by Tibbitt and show creator Steven Hillenburg.
The story is about the Krabby Patty secret recipe being stolen by Burger-Beard the Pirate (Antonio Banderas
), causing Bikini Bottom to enter a Mad Max
-esque post-apocalyptic wasteland. SpongeBob and friends come ashore and become superheroes in order to defeat Burger-Beard and retrieve the Krabby Patty secret recipie.
It is the first movie of Paramount Pictures
' new animation division, and the first animated movie based of off a Nicktoon
since 2006's Barnyard
Watch the first trailer here.
- Abnormal Ammo: Burger-Beard uses a blunderbuss loaded with butter.
- Affectionate Parody: Apparently one of Pirate movies, the post-apocalyptic genre, and the Superhero blockbuster.
- The Apunkalypse: Bikini Bottom inexplicably turns into this as an apparent side-effect to Burger-beard's scheme.
- Art Shift: All underwater scenes are done in traditional animation like the show (and, given the cinematic budget, the first movie), while all the scenes on land are in live action with the Spongebob cast done in CGI.
- Ascended Extra: Sandy Cheeks and Squidward Tentacles, who were both Demoted to Extra in the previous movie (the former especially), are now getting top billing.
- The Bad Guy Wins: At the beginning of the movie, Burger-Beard is able to do this by collecting the last page of an artifact, which allows him to collect the Krabby Patty secret formula easily. The rest of the movie is spent trying to overturn his victory.
- Big Bad: Burger-Beard.
- Cool Loser: In spite of the fact that he's pretty much an outcast that was clearly Born in the Wrong Century, Burger-Beard owns an awesome-looking pirate ship, which is pimped-out with wheels and a ton of cannons on it.
- Diabolus ex Machina: The MacGuffin of the film is able to turn Bikini Bottom into a wasteland for no apparent reason.
- Enemy Mine: Plankton apparently believes that he's the only one allowed to steal the Secret Formula, and assists the protagonists.