Common Stock Phrases
when someone suffers Amusing Injuries
. Sometimes invokes Inherently Funny Words
for added funny, a common one being "spleen
". There's also something amusingly askew about people's surprising level of biological accuracy when they're in pain.
See also Not in the Face!
and Crack! Oh My Back!
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Tim Rickard's comic sci-fi Brewster Rockit: Space Guy! features junior member Winky, constantly put to some horribly dangerous duty, and constantly crying (off-panel) "Ahhhh! My SPLEEN!"
- A strip from Liberty Meadows had to be rejected because the pig character attempted a Cheek Copy and wound up breaking the machine beneath him, with a groan of "my nads!..."
- Dragon Ball Abridged has this when Vegeta's attacked by Gohan, after claiming that they couldn't hurt his pride. Also when his eyes get injured.
- And Piccolo's gluback.
- And Vegeta's "AHH, MY NIPPLES!" after a spaceship explosion.
- Sailor Moon Abridged does this in the very first episode.
"Ow, my leg!"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
- Kimo says, "Ow my hair!"
- In Season Zero, as Joey and Tristan are getting beaten up:
Joey: Ow, my face!
Tristan: Ow, my sperm!
- Berserk Abridged: Guts at one point during a battle says, "Ow, my organs! I think I need those to live!"
- One Madoka-style take on Teen Girl Squad featured "Ow, my future!"
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- The Brady Bunch: "Oh, my nose!" Played for Drama, but everyone thinks it's Narmful.
Gideon: Oh look, my liver. I'd wondered where that'd got to.
- Doctor Who, "Nightmare of Eden":
Fourth Doctor: Oh, my arms! Oh, my legs! Oh, my everything!
- The Mighty Boosh
- Mystery Science Theater 3000
- Not a body part per se, but during the Space Mutiny riff, when a ski-mask wearing Mook is assaulted:
Crow: OW MY MASK!
- And from Prince of Space we get this winner, as a group of (ahem) older scientists are fleeing the villain and leaping over an obstacle:
"Oh my spastic colon!"
"Oh my gout!"
"Oh my bad knee!"
"Oh my baldness!"
- Power Rangers Dino Thunder:
Zeltrax: My toes!
- That '70s Show
- The protagonist of the Postal series sometimes utters quotes of this nature:
The Postal Dude: Hey! Now I can't feel my legs!
Ow, my clavichord.
- In Tales of Symphonia, when the heroes walk into the unnaturally dark Temple of Darkness, Lloyd steps on Zelos's foot, prompting him to say, "Ow! My precious foot!"
- Some Mooks in No More Heroes lament their spleens after Travis delivers the deathblow on them.
- Team Fortress 2
BLU Scout: My blood! He punched out all my blood!
BLU Soldier: You call that breaking my spine? You RED team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if— (CRACK) AAAAAAAAAGH! MY SPIIIIIINE!
- Also in "Meet the Engineer":
BLU Scout: My! Arrrrm!
- In Knights of the Old Republic II, when HK-47 tortures an HK-50 unit (both of them ridiculously sadistic/kinky robots), the latter cries in anguish "My photoreceptors, my photoreceptors!" Too bad that scene was cut from the released version.
- One of Deadpool's lines in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is "My kidney!"
- In Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Ultimate Deapdool (who has the quirks of his mainstream counterpart) also belts out an "Ow! My uterus!" as Ultimate Spidey brings the hurt.
- In Black & White, there's a little guy who can throw around for kicks. He shouts out random (and sometimes unlikely) body parts as he bounces around. "Argh, my back. Oh, my arm! Ow, my philtrum!"
- The Simpsons games:
- In The Simpsons Hit & Run and its predecessor The Simpsons Road Rage, Bart bouncing around in his vehicle of choice will sometimes groan "My ovaries!", an in-joke from the show. See The Simpsons entry below.
- In Virtual Springfield, you can find a voodoo doll of Homer under Bart's bed. Poking it with a pin in various places prompts the responses "D'oh, my arm!", "D'oh my leg!" "Ow, my butt!" and "Marge, my face hurts again!"
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, after Rawk Hawk gets crushed by Bowser, he eventually mumbles "Ow... my aching hair...."
- Dawn of War also has "Augh, my spleen!"
- Deadlock uses "Ow, my eye!" and "D'oh, my spleen!" when civilians and infantry are taken out. Though possibly not used in the game, the disc also held a third sound file that went "Gah, my limbic system!"
- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
- In Homestar Ruiner, Homestar says "Ow, my snot!" after he falls out a window with the other party-goers who have invaded Strong Bad's house. The joke is that your original goal through the episode was to "Beat the snot out of Homestar."
- In Strong Badia the Free, Strong Bad yells "Ow! My freedom!" as the Poopsmith inflicts some police brutality on him for not paying the King of Town's new e-mail tax.
- In My Sims Kingdom, the character Buddy is prone to falling over. He's holding a stack of flyers in the opening, and he scatters them everywhere when he falls, accompanying it with "Ow, my face!"
- In Dungeons & Dragons Online, one quest "Dirty Laundry" has money launderers who, when you hit them, say things like "Ow, my arm!" and "Ow, my spleen!"
- In Mardek, when you defeat Muriance, he takes another hit and announces: "AGH! My upper left section of my right lung! Also my spine! the Pain!"
- In Catherine, after Vincent breaks up with Catherine and she beats the crap out of him in the bathroom of the Stray Sheep, he can be heard yelling "Ow, my spleen!" at one point.
- In Happy Wheels, the Wheelchair Guy will sometimes shout "Ow, my leg!" when his legs are broken. The Pogostick Man will shout "Ow, my arm!" if his arms are broken.
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, a turtle who runs over the spikes in the water will say, "My toes! My toes!" Also, if he steps on a loose board on the pirate ship, it smacks him in the face, prompting him to say, "Ohhh, my nose!"
- In Mass Effect 3, the Citadel DLC has Joker doing this when he's caught in firefights.
- After the player low-blows a student in Bully, he'll groan and say this:
Student: "Ow...my children..."
- Also used a few times in the regular Homestar Runner cartoons.
Strong Sad: Ow! Both my face and hands!
- One of Simmons' running character gags in Red vs. Blue is that he does this whenever he gets injured in some way. At one point he even does it when Sarge gets injured:
"Ooh, the back of your head!"
- A Running Gag on Teen Girl Squad
"Ow! My skin!"
"Ow! My tan lines!"
"Ow! My the-fact-that-I-was-alive-only-a-second-ago!"
"Ow! My lack of familiarity with Greek mythology!"
- dascottjr parodied this in his literal version of "I'd Do Anything For Love" with "Ow, my only scene!" after the cops get "Chandelier'd!"
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- When a disaster happens (such as boat crashes or explosions), there's a stock sound clip of "My leg!"
- Played with in one late episode. "My face! My face! Also, my leg...but mostly my face!" Also played with in the film.
- Played with in one episode when Patrick says after falling, "I think I broke my abacus", then pulls out an actual abacus.
- School bully Francis from The Fairly OddParents also uses this line in one episode where Timmy turns invisible to avoid a beating, but decides to confront his fears (and pick up his perfect attendance medal). Francis tries to punch Timmy; the medal busts up his hands. Francis tries his other hand. Doesn't work. The same went for his head, after which Francis apparently decides to use his spleen.
- Invader Zim
- Zim shouts "Ow! My Sqeedlysplooch!" when hit in the gut with a dodgeball.
- Just beforehand, a human kid gets hit, and crumples, shouting "Ow! My organs!"
Zim: Inferior human organs!
- The Simpsons
- One time at a carnival, Marge didn't want them to ride the Chipper (a rollercoaster which causes kids' teeth to chip) because Homer has a heart condition. The rest of the family poo-poo her, then they ride the ride and we hear from offscreen:
Homer: Ow, my heart!
- When Bart is faking an illness, he doubles over and moans "my ovaries" and gets an exasperated eyeroll. Somehow, it still works as far as letting him go home.
- Hans Moleman: "Oh, my brain!"
- When Homer is blackmailed into becoming Mr. Burns' Prank Monkey, he throws a pudding at Lenny.
Lenny: Ow, my eye! I'm not supposed to get pudding in it!
- When the family travels to Florida to help Homer relax after going crazy due to fear of dying soon, Homer says, "My pockets hurt."
- "Shut up liver!" (punches liver) "Ow, my liver..."
- Homer when trying to get a health insurance form from a shredder: "Ow, my hemophilia!"
- In another episode, Homer shouts "Ow, my thingies!"
- In an episode, there's a gag where Bender casts a fishing line and Fry cries "Ow, my small intestine!" from off camera (also counts as one of the show's many Genius Bonus moments).
- "You can crush my body, but you can never crush my spirit." Stomp! "Ow, my spirit!"
- After being packed in a cardboard box, Fry is repeatedly flipped over on the way out of a courtroom.
Fry: Ow, my head! Ow, my feet! Ow, my head! Ow, my feet!
The Professor: Keep your chin up.
Fry: Ow, my chin!
- When Bender zaps Fry in the groin with the F-ray: "Ow, my sperm!" Upon trying it again, Fry simply responds, "Huh... didn't hurt that time."
- A Running Gag on Class of 3000 involves a character tossing something off-camera. A few seconds later, a crash is heard, followed by a kid crying out, "Ow! My eye!" Later in the same episode, the same (or another) character will toss something else off-camera to similar crashing and the kid crying out, "Ow! My other eye!" We see him for a few seconds twice in 'The Devil and Lil'D'. Once when Lil'D is drumming on... everything (including, evidently, the poor kid's eye), and again when Principal Luna hits him in the face with a shirt.
- In Beavis And Butthead, when trying to build a case against someone, Beavis fakes an injury.
Beavis: (holding his chest) Ow, my liver! My liver!
Butt-head: Lower, dude.
Beavis: Oh yeah. Sorry. (holding his crotch) Ow, my liver! My liver!
- íMucha Lucha!
- Flea will refer to his injuries of any variety as "Ow, The Flea's spleen!" (or insert appropriate body part). This came back to seriously hurt him on one occasion when he ended up nearly having his spleen removed by a Mad Scientist.
- Played with in one episode when Flea would declare that he 'couldn't feel something' before realizing it was right next to him, which eventually led to the line "The Flea cannot feel the Flea's brain! Oh, there it is, right next to the Flea."
- The class president election episode made a Running Gag of Penny Plutonium getting her feet squashed by a falling weighted curtain.
"Ow, my foot!"
"Ow, my other foot!"
"Ow, both my feet!"
- Usually when Cat of CatDog got hurt he'd yell, "MYBODYMYBODYMYBODY!"
- In an episode of Johnny Test, Johnny throws a paper airplane offscreen and someone yells "Ow, my eye!". He promptly throws another airplane offscreen and we hear "Ow, my other eye!" in response.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy
- Parodied even more than normal when Ed was faking being hurt after he crashed his plane (when he never had one to fly). Kevin doesn't buy it for an instant.
Ed: Ow, my liver. Ow, my lasagna.
Edd: Ed, lasagna isn't a major organ.
Ed: It isn't?
Ed: Ow, my fingernails. Ow, my skin. Ow— hi, Kevin.
- Garret Bobby Ferguson from the Regular Show episode "High Score," after a Groin Attack from Mordecai.
GBF: Ow! My chin!
- In Dan Vs. Canada, after they were kicked out of a French-Canadian bar:
Chris: You landed on my liver.
Dan: It's always about you! What about my liver?
- After Dan knocks an old lady down a staircase.
Old Lady: Ooh! My poor old lady hip!
- Wakfu: Evangelyne falling down the stairs of a tall tower because of her high heels, in season 1 episode 4.
Evangelyne: Aaah! My head! AaahaaA! Aaah! My back!
- In the Family Guy episode "Three Kings", in every Stephen King segment, Joe plays a character who ends up getting his legs broken and every time shouts, "OOHHH! MY LEGS!".
- And the time Stewie is inside Peter's body trying to kill all of his sperm before he can have sex and give Stewie another sibling, and blasts his duodenum in an attempt to stall for time. Peter shouts "Oh geeze my duodenum's acting up!" and rushes into the bathroom.
- In the first episode of South Park, Cartman screams "OWWW MY ASSS!" while farting fire due to the aliens' probe.
- Adventure Time:
- In "Freak City", Jake tries to show how Finn can still fight evil despite being turned into a giant foot by launching him out of a catapult into the groin of a passing two-headed giant, who yells "Our crotch! Our evil crotch!" and staggers away.
- In "Daddy's Little Monster", during the fight with possessed Marceline, Finn gets knocked into Jake, who shouts "Ow, my hippocampus!"
- On Daria, Mystic Spiral actually made a chorus line out of this:
Ow my nose, ow my face
- On Archer, Cheryl tends to respond to loud noises with "Ow! My earballs!"
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Carl says "Ow, my scapula" any time something hits him. Which is very, very often.
- In The Powerpuff Girls episode "I See A Funny Cartoon In Your Future," Madame Argentina applies pins to the keisters of three Powerpuff voodoo dolls.
Bubbles: D'oh, my tail bone!"